Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[RESOLVED] wii - graphic libraries

Posted by prampa 
[RESOLVED] wii - graphic libraries
November 07, 2009 02:16PM
Hi,
i'm sorry for my english.
I would like to develop a simple application on wii with a simple gui. On these days i read some articles on internet. Basically i started with this forum.
I installed devkitPro (linux and xp too) and i tried some examples with grrlib, libwiisprite and libwiigui. With each of these i have some different problems. For example, with libwiigui i try to compile the demo but have problem with oggplayer.h and tremor link and in video.cpp, with libwiisprite, during the linking, i get this message "/home/chaosteil/code/wii/libwiisprite/source/quad.cpp:100: undefined reference to `GX_Position2f32'" a reference to /home/chaosteil/code/....what's that???.
For the grrlib i downloaded the version 4.0 but the examples on HBC run only with 3.xx. I don't find grrlib 3.0 to download....
I don't find a unic graphic library to start.
Some examples run right (I compile, link correctly and send to wii) and others no.
What can I do? Could you suggest a definitive and compatible version to install of devkipPro and rest?
Thanks in advance......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 07:38PM by prampa.
Re: wii - graphic libraries
November 07, 2009 03:15PM
Hi.

Use this version of libwiisprite in place of the one you're using to fix your compilation errors: [arikadosblog.blogspot.com]
November 07, 2009 04:59PM
Thanks for the reply.
I downloaded the new version in place of the one i was using and previously error has been fixed.
But now I have a new reference error:
libwiisprite.a(quad.o): In function `GX_Position2f32': c:\projects\wii\libwiisprite\build/c:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogc/gx.h:1178: undefined reference to `wgPipe'"....
It's a neverending chain!!!!!! I'm trying to compile the "invaders project" in the libwiisprite examples....
Thanks...
November 07, 2009 05:40PM
Do a reinstall of the latest version of devkitPPC. It sounds like its missing a few files.
November 07, 2009 06:14PM
but I'm working with linux debian and that is a typical window's path....
Why is there that path? Who wrote it? Can i change it?
However i got dekKitPro few days ago, then I think be the last one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 06:16PM by prampa.
November 08, 2009 12:22AM
prampa
For the grrlib i downloaded the version 4.0 but the examples on HBC run only with 3.xx. I don't find grrlib 3.0 to download....
Why are you not using GRRLIB 4.1.0: [code.google.com]

Even best would be to download svn version: [code.google.com]
November 08, 2009 01:14AM
Initially i got grrlib 4.0, but i didn't compile the examples on internet because they are written for grrlib 3.xx.
The methods are not compatibility with previous versions of the library. I don't know why. I ask a question, now: what graphic library (grrlib, libwiisprite or libwwigui, or other I don't know) can I use to develop a homebrew? (Just some buttons, load images and handle the wiimote: not business logic now, but work around on a simple template).
The choise, or the best choise, for documentation, examples on internet and use. Perhaps there isn't the best choise, but....what's the difference between them?
Thanks for the cooperation.....
November 08, 2009 02:54AM
prampa
Initially i got grrlib 4.0, but i didn't compile the examples on internet because they are written for grrlib 3.xx.
Examples for the svn version are here: [code.google.com]
And the doc: [code.google.com]
The forum: [grrlib.santo.fr]
List of homebrew using GRRLib (some of them are open source): [wiibrew.org]

prampa
I ask a question, now: what graphic library (grrlib, libwiisprite or libwwigui, or other I don't know) can I use to develop a homebrew?
Do you want to program your homebrew in C or C++?
November 08, 2009 04:09AM
It really depends more on what you're trying to do. Are you making an app or a game? grrlib is a general graphics library. libwiisprite is more for 2d games. and libwiigui is more oriented toward menu design (see Snes9x GX), and can be combined with the other two, or any backend code. If you're making an app, libwiigui could get you started fastest, and can be complemented by grrlib.You can also use libwiigui for a game menu. If you're making a 2d game, libwiisprite is ok for that. For a 3d game, you're pretty much on your own for the game itself - besides looking at what others have done.
November 08, 2009 04:16AM
prampa
For example, with libwiigui i try to compile the demo but have problem with oggplayer.h and tremor link and in video.cpp, with libwiisprite, during the linking, i get this message "/home/chaosteil/code/wii/libwiisprite/source/quad.cpp:100: undefined reference to `GX_Position2f32'" a reference to /home/chaosteil/code/....what's that???.

Make sure you have the latest libwiigui (1.05) and latest devkitpro r19, libogc 1.8.0, and the portlibs (libpng, tremor, etc) from here: [sourceforge.net] Also make sure you don't have old copies of libpng and libtremor in your libogc folder either or those will conflict.

For libwiisprite, the source code hasn't been updated in awhile, it will require some changes to compile on the latest libogc.
November 08, 2009 06:35AM
Tantric
For libwiisprite, the source code hasn't been updated in awhile, it will require some changes to compile on the latest libogc.
Actually, it recompiles perfectly on the latest libogc. As given in my first post in this topic, I have a recompiled build available for whoever needs it.
November 08, 2009 11:18AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I understand now. I think to use grrlib.
My main goal now is to get an environment clean, without errors and compatible with my homebrew channel.
I'm downloding the latest version of grrlib (I'm using yours links) and all software as soon as possible.
I think to use c language.
Two simple questions:
1) doesn't grow up the size of the final dol if I use grrlib and libwiisprite to develop a homebrew?
2) which graphic library does use the wii?
Thanks for the help
November 08, 2009 07:43PM
GRRLIB is a pretty good one... i use it for apps, 2d games, and menus. (pretty much everything except the 3d stuff) I'm sure the other ones are good too and do all the same stuff, it's just a matter of finding one you are comfortable with and like... they all do essentially the same stuff.

1) not significantly
2) GX... GRRLIB and libwiisprite, etc, are just methods to access the GX core.
[RESOLVED] Re: wii - graphic libraries
November 09, 2009 01:46PM
Thanks for all replies.
I got latest versions of devkitPro (subversion) and GRRLIB (4.10) for linux yesterday. I deployed the software and compiled all the examples.
It was just a conflict between different versions of the previous software.
I'd like starting with GRRLIB and, next, to add libwiisprite, too.
Finally I have a clean environment to develop my first homebrew.
Thanks so much
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login