Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solution to pairing Wiimote to PC! (Linux Success, just need Win & Mac OS) Need help to directly enter a hexadecimal passkey?

Posted by benpaddlejones 
Wiibrewers
In your wiimote wiki http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote it says "The "syncing" of a Wii Remote involves standard Bluetooth pairing. When the Sync button is pressed on the remote, it will accept pairing requests. The required PIN is the hosts's Bluetooth address, backwards (last byte first), in binary (6 bytes). Most current Bluetooth implementations don't deal with this correctly, as they usually consider the PIN to be a regular ASCII string (no 00 bytes, etc)."

If I want to sync the wiimote to my PC is my understanding of this correct that I need to convert my 'Device Address' to 6 byte binary?

If so, can you direct me to a knowledge base or provide an explaination of how to convert my device address to 6 byte binary.

Cheers

benpaddlejones :)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 01:59AM by benpaddlejones.
Update:
No luck yet
My BT Address is: 00:19:5B:5B:E3:81
Removed colons 00195B5BE381
Using converter: [www.roubaixinteractive.com]

Created the binary for:

* 00195B5BE381 - as is
* 183EB5B59100 - Backwards
* 00195B5BE381 - as is then inverted binary
* 183EB5B59100 - Backwards then inverted binary

I am running Widdcom v5 on XP (given Broadcom made BT infrastructure in Wii and they make Widcomm I assume this is most likely to be successful).

Using normal connection sequence only start with red internal sync button instead of skip I enter the binary.

All return no connection!

Any thoughts?

benpaddlejones :-)
Hi,

00195B5BE381 --> 81E35B5B1900 would be the correct reversing.
1Byte == 2 digits in the notation.

regards
shagkur
Update
shagkur, you are correct.

The problem is with the '00' as "consider the PIN to be a regular ASCII string (no 00 bytes, etc)".

I know need to know how to change the BT Device address?

I know it is easy to change the NIC but not the device address.

Any ideas???

I don't understand that problem. I am using widcomm now on Vista, but also used it on XP, and I never had to do anything you describe to connect my Wiimote. I just used the connection wizard to search, selected the Wiimote, set the key to not use a master key, and that's it.
Noone
You are correct I use the same sequence myself. What I am hoping to be able to do is never have to do that again. Just turn my wiimote on and play away.

Update
Using this guide:http://blog.tremend.ro/2007/08/10/change-your-bluetooth-address-of-your-linux-machine/ change BT MAC address to 30:30:30:30:30:30

Sync Wiimote with pass key "000000"

SUCCESS

Now I I need is someone who know how to change the MAC address for Windows & Mac OS so we can all use this.

We are playing with a random alpha numeric BT MAC address to maintain security as 30:30:30:30:30:30 is just a test.

Anyone know how to change or possibly cloak? the BT MAC address???

Benpaddlejones :-)
Wiibrewers
A new (and better) solution:
Directly enter a hexadecimal passkey, instead of ASCII

Does anyone have an idea???

Changing the BT address is a bad solution.

You're probably screwed on Windows with the proprietary stacks.

On Linux adding hex support is possible by modifying hcid.

Even if you do this you still need specific accept support in whatever wiimote driver you are using, since it doesn't quite connect the same way when it's paired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 12:34AM by marcan.
Well, the widcomm bt stack has an sdk, could you make a console app for windows users that could assist in "pairing" with the wiimote? that be neat.

not sure if the functions provided would be enough though
Wiibrewers
Some background:
I'm a Guru for http://www.wiimoteproject.com we are also working to find a solution but I have been posting here as I know a number of very good programmers hang around here.

Yes, Marcan I agree changing the Bluetooth Mac address is unrealistic.

GizmoTheGreen, we already have a pairing application for MS BT stack but we are after a broader solution that covers MS, Widcomm & Bluesoleil.
http://www.wiimoteproject.com/bluetooth-and-connectivity-knowledge-center/wiimoteconnect-(searching-beta-testers)-update(0-5)!!-please-test-it/

Hence why we are currently looking thinking about directly enering a hexidecimal key.

The other option is do any of the programmers here have the specific expertice to develop and application like WiimoteConnect that supports MS Bluesoleil & Widcomm BT???

Don't forget the Toshiba bluetooth stack.
henke37
The Toshiba/Dell/HP/etc stacks are all Widcomm, rebranded. But if you look at your device drivers they are all Widcomm.

This is great info.

It worked for me! My BT host addr fortunately has no nulls, but still an 0x13 which is an unprintable character. I reversed it, put it into a hex editor, opened the resulting file in notepad. Cut & pasted it into the passcode input field and now I can reliably reconnect to my wiimote without all of the BS using the Microsoft stack.
djrobx
This is great info.

It worked for me! My BT host addr fortunately has no nulls, but still an 0x13 which is an unprintable character. I reversed it, put it into a hex editor, opened the resulting file in notepad. Cut & pasted it into the passcode input field and now I can reliably reconnect to my wiimote without all of the BS using the Microsoft stack.

Woo just got mine working, thanks for the info. If your bluetooth host address has nulls, try the wiimote address. This how I got mine paired sucessfully:

--Found out wiimote mac address from "wiipair" (GUI version...this quoted the wiimote MAC as 23:53:81:81:02:05, whereas windows thinks its 05:02:81:81:53:23)

--Typed out "23 53 81 81 02 05" in notepad (maybe try reversing this depending on how you found out the wiimote MAC)

--Select all, copy, paste from notepad into hex editor ("HxD")

--Saved file from hex editor

--renamed hex editor file to have .txt extension

--opened this file in notepad

--select all, copy

--go to add bluetooth device

--hold 1+2 on the remote

--paste in pass code

--win :D :D

Wiimote is wii remote plus (RVL-036). Windows 7, microsoft bluetooth stack and generic usb bluetooth adapter. ymmv

Links:
Wiki on bluetooth pairing that describes pairing by pressing 1+2
hex editor
Link to wiipair (contained in Wiimote ADC.zip)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login