can someone link me to a well formatted code library

Posted by bobstar89 
can someone link me to a well formatted code library
September 03, 2008 10:09AM
or just give me sniplets of info, I cant seem to understand some of the coding

and yes i am a noob:P
Re: can someone link me to a well formatted code library
September 03, 2008 11:48AM
Excuse me but wtf? I really don't get what you are looking for.
September 03, 2008 01:20PM
a site or something that has examples of code for the devkit so I can gain experience

the examples that came with the devkit were too unformatted they needed more word wrapping and spacing etc. i couldn't quite understand them
September 03, 2008 01:24PM
They are the only ones I know of, I have done a couple of tutorials on C++ and libwiisprite

-> [www.wiibrew.org]

Usually the only tutorials you will find are pieces of example code for a lib or something. I suggest looking at the examples that are in devkitpro, they aren't that difficult really. If you have questions about them post here, but every part of the examples is commented on where necisary.
September 03, 2008 01:50PM
so is everything done in C++ coding? I am really new to this and i don't know how to start really, I have goals but I dunno where to start. I have done coding in visual basic 6.0 thats my only programming history.

I am persisting in finding out how to get this thing going though.

I'll keep at the examples in devkitpro
September 03, 2008 01:57PM
Guys i relized why it was unformatted

I was opening it in Notepad, Wordpad works better, thanks anyway though.

it looks like im off to study:P
September 03, 2008 02:21PM
why not use devkitpro or another IDE? It would make it much easier. If you are only just learning C++, learn it on PC first. It is much less complicated (to some degree), there is less work to be done to get words on screen for example, these are the first steps you will take, after that, the syntax is exactly the same no matter where you take your C++ (I've said this a lot). So yeah.. up to you what you want to do, but if you want a nice easy start to C++ download devCpp bloodshed and make some stuff on PC before trasnfering your knowledge to wii.
Not everything is done in C++, there are some programs on wii that are in C. C++ is currently the most widely used language for programming games and there is a hell of a lot of support for it. You can (in theory) use pretty much any language, you just need to make it compatable with the hardware on your target platform, a good example of this is assembly, a program that prints text to the screen on an x86 cpu will be differnet to the cell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 02:23PM by WiiPhlex.
September 03, 2008 02:37PM
ok thanks and looking at the C++ examples I can see that its not too complicated so far, i will learn what each thing means. like the above user said, it's explained well
September 04, 2008 09:47AM
You got 3 options:
*C++
*C
*Asm

Trust me, only mad people uses asm, so that one is out. And C++ is mostly C with added features, I say, go for C++. But get a good book about C++, it has a lot to give. Like premade containers and all the fun with overloaded operators, constructors and destructors. It sounds like a mess, but in real life, it's not.
September 04, 2008 10:47AM
Will do thanks
September 04, 2008 08:17PM
Another alternative is to use C with GRRLib which has a number of easy to use tutorials on its homepage

GRRLib Homepage

This is a graphics library, I would see this as a starting point then you can look around wiibrew for details of how to use wiimote, sndlib, etc.
September 05, 2008 01:35AM
bobstar89
Guys i relized why it was unformatted

I was opening it in Notepad, Wordpad works better, thanks anyway though.

it looks like im off to study:P
Why don't you use Programmers Notepad?
September 05, 2008 06:26AM
I don't use programmers note pad, I use devcpp bloodshed and compile it using cygwin.
September 05, 2008 10:36AM
Ew, cygwin! Just get visual studio and get serious. The express edition is only slightly limited and is more than enough for almost everyone. And most importantly, it is free (as in beer) (if you register it at no cost).
It is a big download, but it is ore than worth a few hours of downloading. It just has so much more to offer than devcpp, it got a solid help system, an easy to use build system, a compiler with a sane syntax for inline asm, the patented IntelSight code witting dropdown system and a solid user interface.
And it is easy to set it up to use devkitpro to do a cross-compilation for the Wii.

Some people say it's bloated, they are probably right, but I find that to be only a minor issue, I have never once had an issue with it's size.
September 05, 2008 01:44PM
cygwin works fine for me, just the bash shell..
September 05, 2008 02:27PM
I can't get the visual studio nMake compiler to work, so I stick with the one installed by devkitrpo, or cygwin.
September 05, 2008 02:43PM
with visual studio you can add lib's and headers through tools I beleive, and when you compile it will search those folders, although when I installed the DirectX SDK I didn't need to do this, it seems to have automatically located them, may have been something about the DX SDK and visual studio.
For smaller projects, I find that there's too much in visual studio, although, it is very good for large projects. Does seem a little daughnting to use at first I admit though, a fairly complex IDE.
September 07, 2008 10:53AM
I've never felt that there is too much in Visual Studio. And nmake is not a compiler, it is the build system control program. But only for makefile projects I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login