Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommended thread library?

Posted by flarup 
Recommended thread library?
May 29, 2009 08:33AM
Hi all,

I am currently working on some code which I (for performance reasons) would like to make multithreaded. I have made multithreaded code before, but not for Wii homebrew. Thus, I have a few questions about this, which I hope someone can help me with:

1) When running "normal" homebrew code through the Homebrew Channel, how many cores on the Wii's CPU do we have access to?
2) Which (Wii compatible, of course) thread library would you recommend for utilizing all cores?

Thank you very much in advance.

Flarup
Re: Recommended thread library?
May 29, 2009 10:22AM
There is only one core for each cpu. And for the library, you don't have much of a choice, there is only one that is actually ported.
May 29, 2009 11:30AM
Ohh... I just naturally thought it would have more than one core. But I guess the prizetag of the Wii explains this.

Anyways - in case I need it for other reasons - what is the thread library that is ported?

Thank you very much for your help.
May 29, 2009 06:15PM
It's LWP (Light Weight Process) implementation
[libogc.devkitpro.org]

Note that all is done in software, so I'm not sure about the "real" performance gain when using a multi-threaded approach.
Unlike PS3/X360 processors, the Wii cpu is a (relatively) basic PowerPC cpu, it's single core (obviously) and I don't think it has any microcoded multithreading support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 06:17PM by ekeeke.
May 30, 2009 11:00AM
Thank you very much for the link and the explanation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login