Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommended graphic library?

Posted by AmitR 
Recommended graphic library?
June 22, 2009 12:49AM
Hi everyone,
I've just started programming to the Wii, and I see that there are a number of graphical libraries which can be used. Can you please recommend me which library works best? And if possible, please link me to that library's documentation or code examples.
Thanks!
Re: Recommended graphic library?
June 22, 2009 01:15AM
I think it depends on what specifically you need.
Simplest would be libwiisprite, and then you have libwiigui for gui components, and grrlib has some powerful functions (see the demo)
A search on the wiki will get you the info on each library.
June 22, 2009 01:21AM
i just started programming myself (got a simple little helicopter game going) and i've found grrlib and libwiisprite to be very simple and sufficient for the kinda stuff i'm doing.

Plus there are lots of examples and tutorials on grrlib which make it a nice way to start learning.
June 22, 2009 01:52AM
If youre a begining C++ developer, use libwiisprite.

If youre an advanced C++ developer, use libwiigui.

If youre a C developer, use GRRLIB.

All three librarys have extensive documentation and examples.
June 22, 2009 02:13AM
I wouldn't say that libwiigui is for advanced developers. If i had to rank the c++ libraries, I would say that libwiisprite is for the advanced people. But I would rather not rank them against each other, they are not designed to do the same job, and as such, it's not going to make much sense to compare them with each other.
June 22, 2009 04:11AM
yeah i agree... even as a newb i found libwiisprite and GRRLIB to both be easy and user friendly... so long as you read up on the tutorials and all the great examples and posts found here.
June 22, 2009 02:29PM
henke37
I wouldn't say that libwiigui is for advanced developers. If i had to rank the c++ libraries, I would say that libwiisprite is for the advanced people. But I would rather not rank them against each other, they are not designed to do the same job, and as such, it's not going to make much sense to compare them with each other.
I have to disagree. I came to WiiBrew only two months after rendering my first sprite with ALLEGRO on my pc. Suffice to say, I was still a coding "newb". Within a month of working in my spare time, I was able to build a PONG game and the first few releases of Wii Shooting Gallery with libwiisprite. I've spent the last three months playing around with libwiigui in the spare time of my spare time and I've yet to get anything to render with it. In short, granted I'm still a bit of a coding moron, but it took me a few days as a true "newb" to understand libwiisprite, but yet after a few months as an established developer, I still dont really understand libwiigui.

But I think this ultimately comes down to, "to each his own". (Did this little ramble even make any sense?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 02:31PM by Arikado.
June 22, 2009 03:46PM
ahhhh Wii Shooting gallery... the very first homebrew i ever ran after installing HBC. Brings back memories...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 03:47PM by mdbrim.
June 22, 2009 07:51PM
I think I'll try using GRRLIB for now and see how that goes.. Thanks for all your responses!
June 23, 2009 03:50AM
Arikado
henke37
I have to disagree. I came to WiiBrew only two months after rendering my first sprite with ALLEGRO on my pc. Suffice to say, I was still a coding "newb". Within a month of working in my spare time, I was able to build a PONG game and the first few releases of Wii Shooting Gallery with libwiisprite. I've spent the last three months playing around with libwiigui in the spare time of my spare time and I've yet to get anything to render with it. In short, granted I'm still a bit of a coding moron, but it took me a few days as a true "newb" to understand libwiisprite, but yet after a few months as an established developer, I still dont really understand libwiigui.

But I think this ultimately comes down to, "to each his own". (Did this little ramble even make any sense?)

I would agree that libwiisprite is the easiest to pick up, but libwiigui is also very easy. It just takes a little more time to understand at first. I too started with libwiisprite (and it was my first time making non-trivial programs), but now that I've used c++ more and understand the OOP concept better, I find libwiigui to be just as easy, and more powerful than libwiisprite. I think the real problem with libwiigui is the lack of a tutorial.
June 24, 2009 07:18PM
Yes, someone please write tutorial(s) for libwiigui :)
June 24, 2009 11:32PM
Tantric
Yes, someone please write tutorial(s) for libwiigui :)

I might write one if I find the time to.

EDIT: I started a tutorial here. I'll add more to it tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 07:26AM by jsmaster.
June 26, 2009 04:55PM
AmitR
I think I'll try using GRRLIB for now and see how that goes.. Thanks for all your responses!
To view the complete list of GRRLIB apps go to this page: [wiibrew.org]
It might be useful because a lot of them are open source.

I you have a specific question about GRRLIB, there is a forum available: [grrlib.santo.fr]

Good luck!
June 30, 2009 04:21PM
I would recomend against libwiisprite.

yes, it works. If you are new to C++, go ahead and use it.

But, after working with the guy who made it (either Chaostiel I think his name was, it was when homebrew first broke out) on a game, I realized there were some hardcore flaws in his library. He is a C++ snob and the way he and beardface programs are what causes a majority of problems for the homebrew scene.

Not wanting to get into the politics, but from my experience, there are no "good standard universal" way of drawing things. If you are new to homebrew and want to make a "click the ball" game, go with libwiisprite. If you hope to make a good, quality game or something, write your own like my room mate and I are doing.

Actually, my room mate hopes to release our way of drawing graphics as an additional drawing library, so maybe you could just wait for that, but, don't hold your breath :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login