Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone got devkitpro working in Visual Studio?

Posted by laserbeak43 
Anyone got devkitpro working in Visual Studio?
October 18, 2008 08:07AM
Hi,
Anyone got this working? Are you using nMake? Can you show me how?
Thanks.
Re: Anyone got devkitpro working in Visual Studio?
October 18, 2008 08:51AM
I did, it wasn't hard, I just made a makefile project and entered the proper build commands, the include search paths and so on.
October 19, 2008 06:34AM
will i learn these commands in the devkitpro tutorial? the hello world tutorial i took didn't tell me anything about this.
is there a documentaition that will tell me?
October 19, 2008 11:40AM
It's the normal make comands, you just specify that it has to be make, that it has to be using the right makefile (if you didn't name your one Makefile) and what the build target is.
October 24, 2008 08:50AM
hmm last time i used nmake, i had to look at a walkthrough... sounds simple tho. thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 08:52AM by laserbeak43.
October 24, 2008 01:36PM
Of course, you can specifiy additional things, such as the include folders so that Intelisense can find the headerfiles and parse them.
November 06, 2008 03:51PM
yeah intellisense would be nice. still havent figured out how to do the nmake thing in visual studio by the way. anyone know of a good google search string that i could use to find info on how to set this up with?
November 06, 2008 04:06PM
I use VS and everything works fine. If you have wiiload in your path and the correct env vars set up, then F5 sends to Wii!

My NMAKE settings are:

Build: make -r 2>&1 | sed -e 's/\(.[a-zA-Z]\+\):\([0-9]\+\):/\1(\2):/
Rebuild all: make clean && make -r 2>&1 | sed -e 's/\(.[a-zA-Z]\+\):\([0-9]\+\):/\1(\2):/
Clean: make clean

and for Command under Debugging

wiiload.exe
November 06, 2008 09:19PM
Yeah, it works wonderfully. I had some problems at first and kept getting quite a few errors even when I'd done everything right. I just reinstalled DevkitPro and everything was fixed and now compiles correctly using the makefile.

To get Intellisense working just add directories to the ‘Include search path:’ box when creating a project or, as a better permanent solution, go to Tools > Options > Project & Solutions > VC++ Directories, then select “Include files” from the top-right scroll menu, and add “C:\devkitPro\libogc\include" or wherever yours is located. Worked like a charm for me and I hope it does for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2008 09:20PM by Notsogr8one.
November 07, 2008 05:06AM
sweet.
when you add these options to your environment variables, do you choose a specific platform?(with my installation, i can choose between win32, pocketpc and smartphone(which are both ARMv4)
November 17, 2008 02:35AM
I'm trying to get set up with Visual Studio 2008 and I used mattgentle's settings, and then I copied over the libogc template with its makefile into my new project, but the make can't find the Makefile. I've never used Visual Studio 2008 before (and my only experience with VS is VB6) but I've compiled stuff in Linux using make. Can someone give more explanation or some links on how to use nmake and the templates? I've tried searching but can't find anything useful.
November 17, 2008 02:35PM
OK, say you are creating a project called template in C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects, you would have the following:

your source file:
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.c

your makefile:
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\makefile

these are created by VS:
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.sln
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.vcproj
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.vcproj.user
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.vcproj.suo

and possibly also created by VS (if u set up IntelliSense):
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Visual Studio\Projects\template\template.ncb

By default, VS will create a ".\Debug" directory which will have a file called Buildlog.htm in it, the log of the build suprisingly :), and a ".\build" directory where all the object files, map file etc go.

Come find me in #wiihelp on efnet if you need more :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 02:36PM by mattgentle.
November 18, 2008 02:19AM
Ah OK I got it to work. For anyone else having problems, if you've got other compilers in your system PATH that happen to also use make, you might have weird conflicts. Make sure you have the environment variables set up properly too. I happened to have WinAVR compilers which I don't actually use but which happened to add their own make to the PATH which superseded the msys make.
November 18, 2008 07:09AM
Here is a tip: at least bother to rename the file from template.c if you don't want people to think that you are an idiot.
November 18, 2008 10:27AM
Err, of course when I'm actually working on something I'll rename it. I just wanted to get a working build system first. Sheesh. Also, I think if you use make as the command line and you've got msys in your path, you actually aren't even using nmake. I fired up the VS2008 command prompt and tried to use nmake to compile the examples but it didn't work. Anyway, thanks all for the help, I think I'll start coding some stuff this weekend when I get back home to my Wii. I'm thinking about making an RSS reader, mainly to learn about how downloading files works in C++ and because parsing RSS isn't too hard.
July 26, 2010 11:32PM
I know this is an old topic, but i can't seem to get Visual Studio working, it's been a while.
I have these directories:
Project Properties
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\include;
C:\devkitPro\libogc\include;
C:\devkitPro\MLib\include;
C:\devkitPro\insight\include;$(IncludePath)

and i get this error:
Error list
IntelliSense: cannot open source file "stdbool.h" c:\devkitpro\libogc\include\gctypes.h

when i search devkitPro folder, stdbool.h is found in 2 folders:
stdbool.h paths
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\lib\gcc\powerpc-eabi\4.4.3\include
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\powerpc-eabi\include\c++\4.4.3\tr1

adding either of these just introduces new errors. Can someone please help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 11:34PM by laserbeak43.
July 29, 2010 07:46AM
Shouldn't that be:
C:\devkitPro\MLlib\include

Are you missing the one L?

laserbeak43
I know this is an old topic, but i can't seem to get Visual Studio working, it's been a while.
I have these directories:
Project Properties
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\include;
C:\devkitPro\libogc\include;
C:\devkitPro\MLib\include;
C:\devkitPro\insight\include;$(IncludePath)

and i get this error:
Error list
IntelliSense: cannot open source file "stdbool.h" c:\devkitpro\libogc\include\gctypes.h

when i search devkitPro folder, stdbool.h is found in 2 folders:
stdbool.h paths
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\lib\gcc\powerpc-eabi\4.4.3\include
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\powerpc-eabi\include\c++\4.4.3\tr1

adding either of these just introduces new errors. Can someone please help?
July 29, 2010 07:56AM
yep, you're right,
but that has only gotten rid of one error. I've actually started a new project and have included only
C:\devkitPro\libogc\include
but i still get a list of 7 errors, starting with:
IntelliSense: cannot open source file "stdbool.h"	c:\devkitpro\libogc\include\gctypes.h	9

the rest are things that are undefined. Any ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login