Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems accessing GC Memory Cards

Posted by Botskiz 
Problems accessing GC Memory Cards
October 22, 2008 07:41PM
Hello there.

I've just started coding on Wii, so I basically just try to figure out how to work with the system and devkitPro at the moment. However, I've already run into a problem with mounting/accessing GameCube Memory Cards. I've assumed that it would work using the set of CARD functions, as seen in the GameCube example code, but trying to access a Memory Card that way always results in a CARD_ERROR_IOERROR, even if I just run a slightly modified version of the example.
Looking at sourcecode of other programs didn't help me too much, even though I've found that the Wii version of Snes9x GX avoids using GC Cards, due to them "not working" in Wii mode.
So basically I've been wondering, if am I doing something wrong, or if there are some general issues with accessing GameCube Memory Cards on Wii that I just have to live with at the moment.

And in case it might be important, I'm running the software on a PAL Wii with System Menu 3.3E and I'm using a first party Nintendo Memory Card 251. I'm also using devKitPro 1.4.7 without any modifications.
Re: Problems accessing GC Memory Cards
October 22, 2008 08:54PM
For some reason, gamecube memory cards can't be accesed via wii homebrew. I don't know why, but they're actually are quite a problem for homebrew. Even leaving them in your Wii won't allow apps to boot.

By the way, welcome to the homebrew coommunity ;)
October 22, 2008 11:17PM
I think it is a bug in libfat or something that libfat uses.
That and I think you need to manually unlock the memory cards before usage.
October 28, 2008 03:13PM
Sorry for the late answer. I had some trouble with a broken PC power supply in the last few days.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm glad that the problem is not just my own stupidity. I guess I'll just stay away from GameCube Memory Cards for now, then. Even though I'm not sure what I would use them for anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 03:14PM by Botskiz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login