Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Game programming for beginners

Posted by nil_dev 
Game programming for beginners
August 08, 2009 04:56PM
Hello Friends,

It would be a great help if someone can can give me some links/references for game programming for beginners?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 04:56PM by nil_dev.
Re: Game programming for beginners
August 08, 2009 08:08PM
I downloaded a bunch of simple games from the wiibrew site and looked at their source code. You can get a great idea on how different people do things that way.

How to display images, animate with tiles, display text, incorporate wiimotes, buttons, rumble, colors, rotate, scale, soundfx, music. Using the search function in the forums and finding a simple game that does something similar and checking out the source is how I did.

Just one technique!
August 08, 2009 08:55PM
mdbrim
How to display images, animate with tiles, display text, incorporate wiimotes, buttons, rumble, colors, rotate, scale, soundfx, music.

That is more like the surface, or the icing of the cake.

The important part is understanding logic, variables and control flow.
What makes Pac-Man go right and stop at walls? What makes Mario jump and fall down to earth? how can a gamne keep up with Sonic's speed?

You can use any language you want to learn stuff like that, because the languages is not important at all.
It would be helpfull to use one, to pick one, that makes it easy to draw something simple and catch user input, so you can control your algorithms easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 08:55PM by daniel_c_w.
August 09, 2009 01:47AM
im using the wii programming tutorials at codemii.com They are very helpful Here
August 09, 2009 06:15AM
That is more like the surface, or the icing of the cake.

I was making the assumption that he knew how to code, just that he didn't know how to wii homebrew code

made an ass out of u and mption...
August 09, 2009 06:19AM
mdbrim

What?
August 09, 2009 01:49PM
daniel_c_w
mdbrim

What?

ass u mption
August 09, 2009 05:54PM
Now I see, that his username "nil_dev" may imply some programming experience :-)

SteelSLasher
daniel_c_w
mdbrim

What?

ass u mption

I steel feel like being called an ass...
August 09, 2009 05:56PM
1-Stay on topic or suffer consequences

2-Game Programming is vastly different than traditional programming. daniel_c_w's comment really hits the head on the nail in that remark.

3-To the original poster: The best thing to understand game programming is to read all of the source codes you can get you hands on.
August 09, 2009 07:01PM
no no, i wasn't calling you ass... disregard that comment.

Back on topic...

That's the beauty of open source, if you get stuck and can't find anything posted about it on the search function, just grab someone else's code and see how they did it.

I just did that five minutes ago to finally get freeTypeGX working the way i wanted it to!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 07:02PM by mdbrim.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login