August 25, 2009 01:50AM
i am excited for this
when will beta be ready?
Re: Wii Game maker!
August 25, 2009 06:17AM
we are currently doing some testing, Will be available soon
August 25, 2009 05:45PM
I'm still looking for a detailed comprehensive explanation of how this works.

Questions I still have:
-How are you compiling this into a .dol/.elf?
-What language is the app based around?
-What libraries (if any) are you using to aid the creation of .dols/.elfs?
-Can you provide at least a brief explanation of the logic behind turning GUI (gamemaker) commands into code commands?
August 28, 2009 07:44PM
Arikado
I'm still looking for a detailed comprehensive explanation of how this works.

Questions I still have:
-How are you compiling this into a .dol/.elf?
-What language is the app based around?
-What libraries (if any) are you using to aid the creation of .dols/.elfs?
-Can you provide at least a brief explanation of the logic behind turning GUI (gamemaker) commands into code commands?
I can answer a few, knowing how the real GM works and how thats not possible on the wii, i am guessing he is using a drag and drop interface which each dragged element is translated into code which is then sent to a gcc ppc compiler.

I cant really answer the middle two questions so i will skip them.

I can answer the final question with an example.
Lets say there is a d&d command for printing text to the screen at a certain location and that libwiigui is used in the app, the translator would turn the parameters of the text such as font and size into actual code.

I am probably not entirely correct but thats how i would tackle those problems
August 29, 2009 06:02AM
G-Builder doesn't have drag & drop. If you are looking for drag & drop you should use Wii game Studio instead. By the way it's already out.

In G-Builder you are going to do full coding. But everything you will code is straight forward, like

for creating an instance of an Actor, you have to put this

inst1 = instance_create(32,32,Actor1);

to set its variables or call its functions
inst.setspeed();

to change the current animation:
currentanimation = Sprite1;
August 29, 2009 12:21PM
tupaer
G-Builder doesn't have drag & drop. If you are looking for drag & drop you should use Wii game Studio instead. By the way it's already out.

In G-Builder you are going to do full coding. But everything you will code is straight forward, like

for creating an instance of an Actor, you have to put this

inst1 = instance_create(32,32,Actor1);

to set its variables or call its functions
inst.setspeed();

to change the current animation:
currentanimation = Sprite1;

is the language a java like language or is it pure c++ since i hate java and would rather just code it in pnotepad

it doesnt look like c++ to me but it might because its an example, do you have an actual script you could show, and if its just a simplified language, i'd rather keep functionality and flexibility than remove some complexity and lose a lot of functionality

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 12:25PM by SteelSLasher.
August 29, 2009 05:37PM
tupaer
In G-Builder you are going to do full coding
Then why wouldn't I just do the coding myself so I'm not plagued with machine generated spaghetti?
August 29, 2009 06:09PM
Arikado
tupaer
Then why wouldn't I just do the coding myself so I'm not plagued with machine generated spaghetti?
Its the same question with c# or vb (more vb), why should i program using a simplistic yet limited language that requires 3rd party installations along with my app when its probably more efficient to just do it in pure code.

Some people just suck at learning, if you cant handle grasping programming naturally you dont give up, you wait for someone who knows what they are doing to make a tool that does half the work for you.
August 29, 2009 07:05PM
SteelSLasher
Arikado
tupaer
Its the same question with c# or vb (more vb), why should i program using a simplistic yet limited language that requires 3rd party installations along with my app when its probably more efficient to just do it in pure code.

Some people just suck at learning, if you cant handle grasping programming naturally you dont give up, you wait for someone who knows what they are doing to make a tool that does half the work for you.

you got it :)
August 29, 2009 07:08PM
Well my one is finished, and it is no fake: [www.wiigamestudio.com] Please register tothe forum and give me feedback.
August 29, 2009 11:50PM
Great, is not fake. But you absolutely can't sell this, for now, because you're violating some copyright. You are using GRRlib and 7-Zip files. You NEED to include their respective licenses (GPL and LGPL, respectively). Also, if you did any change to any of the libraries you are using, you need to release the source code of the modifications, as a requeriment of the GPL license.

There still is the issue with 7-zip, but anyway...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 06:27AM by DanielHueho.
August 30, 2009 01:19AM
In GRRLib readme file, it quite explicitly states it is not released under any license.
August 30, 2009 01:32AM
Hey! there's pictures of my Wii menu in the homebrewchannel.pdf from [www.wiigamestudio.com]
August 30, 2009 06:30AM
fatquack
In GRRLib readme file, it quite explicitly states it is not released under any license.

Sorry, I was wrong... Never know GRRlib was public domain :/
Anyway, there is still the issue about 7-zip. But moreover, it's easy to fix...

Again, I'm sorry. The program is very nice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 06:30AM by DanielHueho.
August 30, 2009 12:01PM
fatquack
Well my one is finished, and it is no fake: [www.wiigamestudio.com] Please register tothe forum and give me feedback.
I had a look at that the other day, its a good app but personally i am completely against a game maker clone for wii
September 02, 2009 05:29PM
another special about the G-Builder language is that you can call functions of all instances of all the actors in the scene very simply:

with(all)
{

if(Actor1_getspeed()>Actor2_getspeed())
{

Actor1_move();

}

}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 05:31PM by tupaer.
September 02, 2009 08:52PM
So I assume by "Actor" you mean a Sprite?
September 02, 2009 10:03PM
Arikado
So I assume by "Actor" you mean a Sprite?

I think he means the instances of the object "actor".
September 02, 2009 10:09PM
'Actor' is another term for 'object' as we don't want to completely have all the same names as Game maker. So we just called it Actor for object and scene for room
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login