Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Games Online

Posted by steaky1212 
Homebrew Games Online
August 25, 2009 04:30PM
Hi,

I was just wondering how close online homebrew gaming is?

Is it possible to use lwIP so send data between Wii's and so have the basis of a p2p or client-server network?

Steve
Re: Homebrew Games Online
August 26, 2009 07:14AM
We got working sockets.
August 26, 2009 11:46AM
we have a ftp server for wii so theres your client server network
August 26, 2009 10:10PM
The network alredy works now you just have to make the game haha
August 27, 2009 11:59AM
I know there are apps that use the network capability but I wasnt aware of any games that currently use this feature (if you can enlighten me that would be great)

I have a game that would be nice to have networked, and the traffic could be used to keep the game in sync (traffic consist of IR position). What are the implications of using FTP?

I noticed that there is lwIP as part of libogc but I couldnt find any info on how to use it.

I know this isnt a "do this for me" but has anyone got 2 wiis talking directly to each other, and not via a server?
August 27, 2009 01:09PM
steaky1212
I know there are apps that use the network capability but I wasnt aware of any games that currently use this feature (if you can enlighten me that would be great)

I have a game that would be nice to have networked, and the traffic could be used to keep the game in sync (traffic consist of IR position). What are the implications of using FTP?

I noticed that there is lwIP as part of libogc but I couldnt find any info on how to use it.

I know this isnt a "do this for me" but has anyone got 2 wiis talking directly to each other, and not via a server?
basically you will probably need some kind of dedicated server to make it easier for the players as you would need to enter the ip addresses of the other players. This could be easily worked around using PHP on shared hosting.

Either you get a dedicated server thats used for the gaming or have several shared hosting accounts which just record ip addresses of players (and names) and distribute a common file containing information every 10 minutes.

These arent the most ideal systems since youd need an idiot of a webhost, but unless your game was good enough and enough people play it i cant really see if its worth it.
August 28, 2009 11:43AM
It was more a case of playing against a friend, so could swap ip addresses before playing.
the game this is based on used a similar method of setting up the network, in that you have to put ip address in.

just wondered if there was any documentation or code on how to set it up.
August 28, 2009 07:53PM
steaky1212
It was more a case of playing against a friend, so could swap ip addresses before playing.
the game this is based on used a similar method of setting up the network, in that you have to put ip address in.

just wondered if there was any documentation or code on how to set it up.
I have played one of those games before, the only problem was that people with dynamic IPs had to install additional software, cant remember why but i think it was because the game dev found a gaming proxy for people with dyn ips and the software allowed syncing with the game.

On top of that you have just recreated Friend Codes for homebrew by using IPs as they both have to have each others IP addresses, you have also created a new hell for people with dynamic IPs, like myself.

There isnt much documentation needed for that anyway, the HTTP conveniance functions by bushing are more or less good enough for what you need. It can be found in WiiEarth (http.c and http.h), you should be looking for functions, tcp_connect, tcp_write and tcp_read
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login