Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What resolution to use to fit the screen (with SDL)

Posted by ThatOtherPerson 
What resolution to use to fit the screen (with SDL)
November 27, 2009 12:01AM
How do I check what the maximum resolution I should ideally be using is? Or even just what aspect ratio to use? Right now I'm just doing everything in 640x480 but not everything fits on screen and instead parts get clipped off at the top and bottom and I know its not my TV because Wii's system menu and the homebrew browser and everything else fits perfectly. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm using SDL.

I know this is a sort of simple thing that has probably been covered a hundred times but I cant seem to find a solution anywhere.
Re: What resolution to use to fit the screen (with SDL)
November 27, 2009 03:19AM
It depends on PAL vs NTSC but generally 640x480 is the best. You'll have to account for the clipped parts by offsetting them a little. I've not checked the source in a while but I think 640x480 is the only mode in SDL Wii.
November 27, 2009 06:23AM
scanff is 100% correct. 640x480 is the way to go, and you have to keep in mind some of these games weren't designed for TV display which has overscan (it has nothing to do with Wii in specific) so you may have to add a black border, or better yet, move those cropped elements toward the middle.
November 27, 2009 08:58AM
Ok then. Thanks.
November 27, 2009 06:38PM
Welcome to production for regulars TVs. Your lesson for today: action safe areas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login