Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiiuse - IR dot detection

Posted by bonestruca 
Wiiuse - IR dot detection
January 12, 2010 05:54PM
Hey,

I'm currently using the wiiuse library (linux). Everything works fine, except that I can only detect 2 IR dots.
Same problem occurs while using wmgui, IR camera shows only 2 dots at a time, although I'm using 3 IR LEDs.
The third dot doesn't show up until one of the other 2 dots vanish. Isn't the wiimote camera supposed to detect up to 4 dots at a time ?
Any suggestions ? Wiimote broken ? Library Fault ?
Thanks for your help.
Re: Wiiuse - IR dot detection
January 14, 2010 01:11PM
come on guys, there must be somebody who knows whats wrong
January 15, 2010 02:05AM
Are you using the sensor bar in your experiment?
January 16, 2010 02:02AM
nope, 3 single IR LEDs
January 16, 2010 02:42AM
Make sure they're all properly working by testing them individually?
January 16, 2010 03:45AM
Uh... Okay maybe I'm completely wrong but... isn't the Wii remote the camera? As in: only designed to detect two LED lights, because that's what the sensor bar has? Any more would just confuse it. Another Wii remote would detect the two LED lights, and transmit to the Wii that it's "pointing" at the screen.

Or am I just confused?
January 16, 2010 03:49AM
Yes, the Wii remote is an infrared camera. It is made to detect and track up to four infrared LEDs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 03:49AM by Arikado.
January 16, 2010 03:52AM
Go to the sensor bar sensitivity and you can see what the camera sees.
February 02, 2010 06:03PM
Im coding on a Mac using Linux, I don't have a Wii.
I've tried the cwiid library but same problem here. When I use functions to count the IR dots on the camera, it never says more than two.

Anyone here using cwiid or wiiuse as library and able to detect more than 2 dots ?
Is there a better forum on the internet for specific questions dealing with linux wii libraries than wiibrew ?
February 03, 2010 01:48AM
It honestly sounds like a hardware failure on one of the Infrared LEDs. Have you tested them all individually?
February 03, 2010 09:49AM
Of course I did !
The selection which 2 LEDs are visible seems to be totally random and it changes every time I point the camera at the 3 LEDs.
February 03, 2010 11:05PM
Could there be something in your code preventing the detection of more than 2 LEDs at once?
February 04, 2010 07:44AM
It doesn't work with my own code and it also fails with applications like wmgui, so I don't think its a code problem.

Either it's a library issue (e.g. the function returning the number of dots points to the wrong bits of the bluetooth stack) or I guess it has to be a hardware problem concerning my Wii Remote Controller. But I've got two of them, whats the possibility of both beeing broken !?

Any more ideas ? Or people who detected more than 2 dots using Linux libraries ?
February 05, 2010 10:08PM
Problem solved.
Wiimotes are not broken but fake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login