Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to get started. (Questions)

Posted by WiiFan2012 
Where to get started. (Questions)
March 13, 2010 02:04AM
I have some questions about coding Wii Homebrew.

1) What programming languages can be used to code? Can the following be used: C#, Visual Basic

2) What would be the best approach? (I.E what apps to make as "first apps")

Thanks!
Re: Where to get started. (Questions)
March 13, 2010 03:28AM
1) No, C and C++ are mostly used.

2) Try to figure what you want to code (app or game). After that, choose a framework library. Don't hesitate to search the forum, you are not the first one to ask this question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 03:28AM by Crayon.
March 13, 2010 03:57AM
There are also come products that will allow beginners to code using a drag and drop type env't.

One is WGS and the other one, free, coming out end of March will be Wii Construction Set.

The advantage of the second one, if you are not too familiar with writing C code for Wii, is that it will translate the drag and drop coding into very nice C code full of comments, so it can be used as a lerning tool. The other product, on the other hand, is not free (for full version) and the c code it generates is hidden and not so nice and clean (so it is not ideal for learning).

But eventually, as was already indicated, you want to code in C/C++. I do believe I did see a template on www.wiibrew.org for Visual products but I have not tried it so I can't comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 03:58AM by LordAshes.
March 13, 2010 04:20AM
@LordAshes: Do you mind linking me to the Wii Construction Kit program?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 04:34AM by WiiFan2012.
March 13, 2010 04:30AM
WGS is banned from discussion on our forum due to A)It's illegal and B)The author is rather outspoken (for lack of a better term) hater. Linking to it publicly or privately in the interest of promoting it will get you banned immediately from our forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 04:31AM by Arikado.
March 13, 2010 04:34AM
Ok. May I ask how WGS is illegal? I really don't understand how.

ANSWER RECEIVED!

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 04:50AM by WiiFan2012.
March 13, 2010 04:39AM
Check your private messages. I'd rather not waste space and and go offtopic in this thread.
March 13, 2010 02:04PM
@WiiFan2012: If you ever plan to go advanced, I suggest you don't touch WGS as it will only waste your time learning things 2 times (as you will need other programming languages than WGS (if you can call it a language) to go advanced (or do the advanced stuff in a bad, inefficent and time consuming way)). Furthermore, the first time you'll learn the stuff, you'll learn them in, IMO, a bad and confusing way. (I've been there, as I started programming with Game Maker which WGS is kind of based on, not to say a clone of.)

edit: grammar

edit2: I also recommend you to read this: [www.wiibrew.org]. And this is a great C++ tutorial: [newdata.box.sk] if you're interested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 02:07PM by profetylen.
March 13, 2010 03:16PM
Re: Banning WGS

I am aware of this and that is why I answered very carefully without providing any links and/or direct software details. I hope I an provide a brief background for WiiFan without getting myself banned. I am going to word the next info, from WiiFan, in a neutral tone (I hope) using the words "claim" so that, hopefully, I don't offend those who support the claim but I also don't offend those that do not support the claim.

The program (WGS) is viewed to be illegal by some because it has been claimed that it does not follow the license agreements of the software it
uses. The two claims that I am aware of are that it uses 7z without the necessary license file and that it uses GRRLIB without the necessary
license file. I don't want to open this up for discussion here (that has been done to death). The author has made claims (but no action so far)
that the license agreements will be included in the next release (this next release has not been released yet). In addition, the author has made
the claim that the GRRLIB license is not necessary for the (old) version of GRRLIB that he is using.

The two other issues that have cast this software in a dark light (although not necessarily illegal) is that it is not completely free and that it
uses the DevKitPro tools chain to compile the resulting projects without making it clear that it is DevKitPro that is doing all the hard work
(thus using software that others have put hard work into creating without really giving the authors any credit).

Re: WCS

Wii Construction Set is not out yet. It is a program that I am working on. It is mostly written but I have a few more things to test before I release the initial version. I anticipate an End Of March release.

As I said, it will be free and it creates c code (not compiled projects). It does not actually compile the code so that tools like DevKitPro can get all the glory for that. However the c code will come with a make file that should allow it to be easily compiled assuming you have a regular DevKitPro installation. Installation instructions for DevKitPro and GRRLIB will be provided. Also, as I said, the code that is generated by the program is commented and divided into easy to follow functions so that it is easy to follow (and thus easy to learn from). There is support for adding in direct c code for any functions that are not implemented in WCS and there are even brief instructions on how to add additional actions to the program (so you can add your own action button instead of using the direct-c action for commonly used code).

I'll send you a link when the initial version is released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 03:30PM by LordAshes.
March 13, 2010 04:50PM
profetylen
@WiiFan2012: If you ever plan to go advanced, I suggest you don't touch WGS as it will only waste your time learning things 2 times (as you will need other programming languages than WGS (if you can call it a language) to go advanced (or do the advanced stuff in a bad, inefficent and time consuming way)). Furthermore, the first time you'll learn the stuff, you'll learn them in, IMO, a bad and confusing way. (I've been there, as I started programming with Game Maker which WGS is kind of based on, not to say a clone of.)

edit: grammar

edit2: I also recommend you to read this: [www.wiibrew.org]. And this is a great C++ tutorial: [newdata.box.sk] if you're interested.

Well actually, I already know how to use WGS because I already know how to use Game Maker. (Which WGS is an edited version of that and that DS Game Maker.)

@LordAshes:
I assume that your program will also be able to make games? I would also like to know if there will be multilayer support if it indeed can make games.

Thanks for your answers and good luck coding :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 05:09PM by WiiFan2012.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login