Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDL Licensing

Posted by SteelSLasher 
SDL Licensing
June 21, 2010 09:52PM
SDL licensing states we can only statically link if we have a commericial license... so is the Wii exempt... it must be seeing as though the DS and PSP ports are yet to be slaughtered.

I was going to ask on the SDL forums but I was worried some prick may charge over here and demand that the Wii port of SDL be eradicated.
Re: SDL Licensing
June 21, 2010 11:15PM
What are you talking about? SDL is LGPL.

In short - Because SDL is statically linked any project using it has to be open source. Even the SDL port is open source on google code.
June 22, 2010 11:26PM
[www.libsdl.org]
Hmm. I read that as "you can use the LGPL (which means you don't have to provide the source of your application) if you allow the user to exchange the version of SDL you ship with with an updated version". Both dynamic linking and providing the .o files produced from your source code (or the source code itself, of course) are allowed. They explicitly refer to 'standard development kits', which would be devkitPPC for Wii homebrew.
June 23, 2010 12:17AM
It's simple, static linking SDL = release source. Which all SDL wii software has done (as far as I know) so there is no issue. Yes, some of the included libraries with devkitPPC have GPL licenses (I think the mp3player also depends on GPL code) so sources should be released if you use those parts. But other that that there is no problem on the devkit side.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login