Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screen cut off edges

Posted by Chicken_Bones 
Screen cut off edges
September 12, 2010 01:51AM
Hi,

I'm having a problem with all the homebrew I've been making, I am using GRRLIB and some of the bottom and top of the screen is cut off. I don't know why but a month ago this didn't happen but I would have a black rectangle at the bottom of my screen (which was fine) but now the top and bottom of the screen is being cut off.
Re: Screen cut off edges
September 12, 2010 02:58AM
are you PAL or NTSC? I have this issue as well if i place the image at 0,0 so all my backgrounds are shrunk from 640 x 480 to 95% that size and then placed at about 20,14 (don't remember the exact point).

BUt when i send it to my graphics guy (a PAL user) he see's space at the top and left. As it turns out... (0,0) works great for him, but does the same thing you are seeing to mine... it cuts off some stuff.

So, looking to use a switch... (If PAL, place at 0,0, if NTSC, place at 20,14)

I've had this problem since i last updated GRRLIB ( a while ago) but i'm not sure if it was there before (didn't notice/do too much full screen background stuff.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 02:29PM by mdbrim.
September 12, 2010 03:00AM
btw... the GRRLIB forum is a good place to pick up some tips and ideas and ask questions like this. Most of the guys that post there also post here (me, crayon, etc) so you can get help either place.
September 12, 2010 01:03PM
Funny thing is I'm a PAL user. I live in Australia.
September 12, 2010 02:28PM
aw crap... that doesn't help my theory!

so you place your image at 0,0... approximately how many pixels are cut off?
September 12, 2010 06:10PM
September 13, 2010 03:58AM
My TV is like 52 inch plasma bought 2 years ago

On one of my apps everything from around 450 down is cut off, sides and top are fine (currently estimating)

On the other the sides have around 15 pixels off and the top and bottom around 15 each too (currently estimating)
September 13, 2010 07:59AM
Overscan still applies in your case. Any non-digital signal may be overscanned, depending on your TV. I have two that do none, and one that chops a fair bit off all 4 sides. The best way to compensate is to not place anything important in the overscan area. A less elegant solution would be to set up your view area to a smaller area (eg: 456x678 instead of 480x720) and center the image. Take your pick.
September 13, 2010 08:54AM
I'm using 640x480 and before nothing was cut off
September 13, 2010 09:30AM
I fixed it by setting my wii settings to 50hz instead of 60hz, now it's back to the small black rectangle at the bottom (at least nothing's cut off)
September 13, 2010 05:48PM
That changes your height from 480 to 528 - which is one way to "solve" your problem I guess. But if you release this homebrew, are you going to suggest to your users to change their Wii settings to 50Hz? Sounds pretty sloppy to me...
September 16, 2010 04:04AM
Wasn't planning on releasing it.
September 16, 2010 09:45AM

The first and easiest thing to do is make sure not to place anything like buttons or status displays too close to the edges of the screen, because this creates the likelihood of having them partially or completely cut off. The BBC recommends keeping a margin of 5 percent on each side.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login