Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I use the SD card and how do I connect to the internet?

Posted by awiiprogrammer 
How do I use the SD card and how do I connect to the internet?
October 13, 2010 06:33PM
How do I use the SD card, I am thinking of making something like SD-Explorer or something. Also how do I connect with the internet on the wii, and how do I go to certain websites like Gmail Yahoo...
Re: How do I use the SD card and how do I connect to the internet?
October 13, 2010 07:41PM
Internet: Get the Internet Channel. There is no homebrew internet browser, despite several attempts, which all sort of died.

SD: Look at libfat examples. I think it's probably a little early for you to be planning a WiiXplorer-like app. Why would you need one anyway, why not just use WiiXplorer?
October 14, 2010 02:38PM
What is the sockettest example do? I dunno, just wanna! :P
October 14, 2010 03:14PM
Mmmmh,

i think you should try to learn c/c++. I see a lack of knowledge in your questions. You should use google sometime to understand how network is working before understand what the code does.
October 14, 2010 03:58PM
I know a fair amount if c++.
October 14, 2010 04:25PM
awiiprogrammer
But do you know any C?
October 15, 2010 02:57PM
Daid
awiiprogrammer
But do you know any C?

C++ is a follow-up to C, they are basically the same. The only difference is the way the objects are linked in binary. OF COURSE I KNOW C. The devkitPro toolchains support C & C++, so I don't see the reason in asking this.
October 15, 2010 04:22PM
I think point everyone is getting at is this:

There are very few tutorials available for Wii homebrew programming and even less people available willing to teach others how to do so.

For experienced programmers, this isn't a problem. All the documentation they need is inside the libogc header files. For new programmers it is obviously a rather large problem. However, at this point in the Wii homebrew development lifecycle, there is enough code out there that any less experienced programmer should be able to read and teach themselves from.

In your case specifically, I have to agree with Daid in that you need more experience with C/C++ too. I'll bet you don't know how to use internet or filesystem functions via C/C++ on your PC either. If you did, you wouldn't be asking this (iostream and FILE and generic low-level socket commands (network.h) are all available to Wii homebrew developers too).

I commend you for sticking it out and persisting to learn despite your apparent lack of experience. It's a rare characteristic in this forum that I sincerely empathize with. At one time, every developer (no matter how good they are now) was a n00b.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 04:27PM by Arikado.
October 16, 2010 01:02AM
awiiprogrammer
Daid
awiiprogrammer
But do you know any C?
C++ is a follow-up to C, they are basically the same. The only difference is the way the objects are linked in binary. OF COURSE I KNOW C. The devkitPro toolchains support C & C++, so I don't see the reason in asking this.
When you say "I know C++" I assume you program using Boost/STL/MFC and thing "<<" means move into. When you say "I know C" you understand structure alignment, pointers, pointer casts, difference between int/short/long, "<<" equals bitshift. And what volatile means for you. Difference in byte orders.

Low level C understanding is important when you program for the Wii. Because low level stuff will break at some point, and no debugger is going to help you there.

Other then that, SD access is just covered by the stdio.h implementations from newlib. And if you look around a bit you'll find that the socket implementations are close to those of BSD sockets. Which shouldn't be any problem for someone who knows his C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 01:03AM by Daid.
October 17, 2010 01:47PM
You probably don't know this but you can't "know C", you can be an expert but you can't "know" it. Since you don't know how to connect to the internet or use the SD I really doubt you "know C". If you are an intermediate C++ programmer like you say, you wouldn't be asking this question, you would know immediately to go check the headers in libogc.

I suggest you learn more of C and then come back to Wii programming, it will make a lot more sense to you. C will help you more when you are not programming for a "High Tech Operating System" like Windows for example. Programming for the wii is much more low-level and C++ is not recommended for that, but C is.
October 17, 2010 01:49PM
Wow you guys are really selfish and boring, you can't even answer one question that I had.
October 17, 2010 01:58PM
awiiprogrammer
Wow you guys are really selfish and boring, you can't even answer one question that I had.

Selfish & Boring, really?

We're only recommending you to do things in an order which makes sense to you. I'm sorry you feel that way but if you don't listen to people and just insult them when they are trying to help you then you won't get anywhere. You should really listen and as everybody has said: Go learn C and come back to Wii programming, I'm sure you will be better then.

What I would do if I was you is to start as everyone said with some simple games, and work up to the advanced stuff, as you're attempting to do something that I would never attempt without some serious knowledge on how the Wii works at every level.

If you think we are boring and selfish you are wrong, all I have seen has been good advice presented in a upbeat manner.
October 17, 2010 05:10PM
awiiprogrammer
I didn't see anything selfish or boring in the post I made. In fact, I went out of my way to make sure it was helpful and written in a positive manner. What I see is a frustrated kid who's out of his league and no longer willing to try to step up to the plate. Shame because there are a ton of people here who really want to help you.
October 17, 2010 11:11PM

What I see is a frustrated kid

I think KID is the key word here... i've been reading back over all of his posts and other than "troll" popping into my head it's gottta be kid.

Don't get pissy... it makes everyone think you are a 12 year old kid who's too big for his britches. Your choice in your forum name shows that.

We want to help, we'll do what we can, but you seem to refuse to start small. I think you think that this should be easy based on the knowledge you think you have. Most of your questions that you say we won't answer, can easily be answered with the wiibrew site, google, and a little experimenting.
October 18, 2010 02:59PM
mdbrim

What I see is a frustrated kid

I think KID is the key word here... i've been reading back over all of his posts and other than "troll" popping into my head it's gottta be kid.

Don't get pissy... it makes everyone think you are a 12 year old kid who's too big for his britches. Your choice in your forum name shows that.

We want to help, we'll do what we can, but you seem to refuse to start small. I think you think that this should be easy based on the knowledge you think you have. Most of your questions that you say we won't answer, can easily be answered with the wiibrew site, google, and a little experimenting.

Sorry.

I have listened and now I have got myself a C programming book. Hope to be better at wii programming when I am done.
October 18, 2010 03:00PM
Good to see that you have started listening, what book is it? I'm pretty sure you will be better when you have finished the book. :)
October 19, 2010 01:46PM
Irrlicht
Good to see that you have started listening, what book is it? I'm pretty sure you will be better when you have finished the book. :)

Thanks for your help Irrlicht and Everyone else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login