Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good coding tutorial?

Posted by aidman650 
Good coding tutorial?
November 10, 2010 03:55AM
Okay, I want to program my own game, a simple ninja side scroller. But the closest thing that I have to coding experience is Dreamweaver. And that's not real coding most of the time. I was wondering If there were any good tutorials on basic coding that someone could show me, as well as what libraries or things to use in development. I don't want to be a pain, so I can probably try to figure most of it out once someone points me in the right direction. Thanks!
Re: Good coding tutorial?
November 10, 2010 04:02AM
Start off on your home computer. Learn C. Make some basic examples. Make sure you know the language in and out before you start with homebrew development. Trust me, I tried to just dive in and it lead to many months of frustration. The best thing to do would be to get a book, read it, and when examples are given, build off of them. Make sure you know exactly what each part of the code does. As for websites you can try here. It may get you started, but at least I learn better if I have a book. After you are sufficiant enough to make some more complicated programs on the computer, then you can start with wii development. When you start look at the tutorials on codmii.com. They aren't the best for everything, but they are very good with the basics of wii programming.
November 10, 2010 05:08AM
Thanks! I knew that I would have to start off small. One of the libraries in town has some books on C, so I'll try those out. The idea that I have for a game is probably a bit ambitious, but I plan on improving on it over time. I have an older version of Macromedia Fireworks, so I'll be able to make most of the artwork myself. I want it to be a 16-bit graphical style. Well, I'm going to go into hiding and start working, but I'll keep close tabs on these boards and check back if I ever need any help. Thanks!
November 10, 2010 05:39AM
sure. Your idea may seem too ambitious now, but it time you will have the skills to get it done. Also as a tip when you start to work on it, build it in chunks. Don't just start out building the game, build one feature. For example you might first want to make the ninja move. Then go onto making the screen move with him. then build from there. When I first starting my game I didn't start off with the gravity stuff. I started by making a ball that could move in the direction I told it to, Then I added acceleration. And I build on from there until I had a full fledged game, and I am still working it on it piece by piece now. good luck
November 10, 2010 06:26AM
When I was learning C++, I spend a lot of time reading through various C++ books and tutorials. This one was by far the best. Incidentally, I originally found this from a link posted by someone else on this forum (I can't remember who, but it has come up a few times before). In any case, it is very clear and easy to follow. It is really the only guide you need to learn C++. Though, cplusplus.com is extremely useful for reference purposes (it will be awhile before this matters to you).
November 10, 2010 03:24PM
First, make sure you want to learn how to code.

Yoghurt tried to learn how to code, but failed. He also did not want to learn how to code because he wanted to code, but he wanted to learn how to code because he wanted to make something he envisioned. Right now he seems to be much better off teaming up with someone who knows how to code. As I'm no artist so it's great to work with him, and we're making steady progress.
(see this thread: [forum.wiibrew.org] )

Learning how to code is not something you do in a weekend. And learning how to code for the Wii is even an extra challenge. I suggest you start out with a simple language like Python, PHP, Javascript.
C/C++ is hard, even for those that know another language.

But first establish that coding is what you want to do. If you are more of an artist then make art! One note of warning, don't try to start a project and think "I'l be manager! I'll just need an artist/coder/etc.." and trying to get a team together. You'll need to push out work yourself, or people will lose motivation fast.
November 10, 2010 11:44PM
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! I definitely do want to learn to code. It is a great interest of mine, and I plan on going into the computer engineering feild. I totally understand what was aid about programming it in blocks instead of all at once, as that seems much more efficient anyway. Thanks for the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login