Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to properly release source code

Posted by SpaceJump 
How to properly release source code
January 06, 2009 05:04PM
I decided to release the source code of my programs. What is the proper way to do so?
Re: How to properly release source code
January 06, 2009 05:11PM
Just allow anonymous read access to your source code repository and post the url.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 05:11PM by henke37.
January 06, 2009 05:14PM
henke37
Just allow anonymous read access to your source code repository and post the url.

Do you mean google code?
January 06, 2009 05:41PM
Yeah he does m8.

You can also package it with the app too, or just upload it to somewhere and provide a link.

If you could......
add lots of comments to the code, it WILL save you answering a LOT of questions.
You *might add a contact email etc, but maybe you wouldn't want that (I wouldn't)
As for google code, well if you were to host the code there then others can participate, so this is handy if you continue to develop.

Get well soon m8, and can't wait for your sources ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 05:41PM by Slimmmmmm.
January 06, 2009 11:58PM
Might want to attach some sort of open source license too, but I don't want to advise you on a specific one since I'm not a license expert.
January 07, 2009 12:48AM
Honestly, when I release source code I just turn my entire project folder into a .zip archive and then I upload it to mediafire and distribute the link to whoever wants it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 12:49AM by Arikado.
January 07, 2009 07:22AM
Google code is indeed a place where you can have a source repository hosted. But it is not the only place.
About licensing, here is my advice: Think hard about it before choosing one. GPL has a neat spirit and such, but it is very contagious. BSD just says "I made it, but you can do whatever you want". Personally I write custom licenses for my stuff. And I didn't go to lawyer school.
January 07, 2009 02:13PM
Arikado
Honestly, when I release source code I just turn my entire project folder into a .zip archive and then I upload it to mediafire and distribute the link to whoever wants it.

This. If it's not a big enough project to bother with Google Code stuff, just include the source when you distribute it. No fanciness required.
January 07, 2009 04:59PM
Similarly, I don't worry about licensing either. Hell, if anyone steals one of my projects I'd be flattered. Not offended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 05:00PM by Arikado.
January 11, 2009 02:09PM
OK, thanks for all your answers :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login