Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tile Based OR Side Scroll Source-Code Example(s)

Posted by CodeSculptor 
Tile Based OR Side Scroll Source-Code Example(s)
July 08, 2012 01:49AM
I've done a lot of game development (since the 1980s, back with Electronic Arts)... and know C/C++.

But I've only recently gotten into Wii development and can't seem to find examples of something like
tile-based source-code or side-scrolling types of games. Something like a Mario (scrolling wise, and tile-based) or
an Ultima (tile-based).

If someone knows of a site that has even crude code for such things for the Wii, I'm a quick learner. I don't need it written for me, but seeing
page-flipping usage with framebuffer examples and scrolling, etc... would be useful.

I did a search for SCROLL and TILE on this site and cannot seem to locate anything relevant.
Re: Tile Based OR Side Scroll Source-Code Example(s)
July 08, 2012 10:58PM
You have DevKitPro installed? there are some wii examples with some basic stuff. Once you get the devkitpro examples working, you should beable to hack some stuff out of the sprites example.

Then there is a GRRLIB has a tiledemo (that looks like this video [www.youtube.com] ) but its pretty basic. GRRLIB stuff is here [wiibrew.org]
July 09, 2012 10:34AM
As Owen recommended, check out the GX samples that come with devkitpro to get an introduction on the Wii's graphics hardware.

For a 2D application you will need an orthographic camera and render polygons, the framebuffer isn't scrolled like on 80s hardware.
July 19, 2012 09:34PM
I would like to profusely thank the both of you.

I've got a good amount of the coding done now for that.

-- If only my son wouldn't keep asking for more things to be added :\
July 19, 2012 09:41PM
hahah, cool not problem. There is nothing like a satisfied customer. Additional if you feel comfortable you hack in some 3d rain with the source code from my [wiibrew.org] demo. Good luck and good coding!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login