Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Syslog client

Posted by TekWarrior 
Re: Syslog client
January 26, 2009 02:32AM
Hello Tek
Thanks for the support.
My code does not connect to any other machine, just the PC for syslog using your code.
It is often the second, third or fourth message that disappeared. After that, it is more stable.
I have too already seen some rare disappeared messages when sending a lot of it on A press.
Have you tried to press very quickly the A button and sending eachtime 5 or more messages ?
anyway, that s a good news if you cant reproduce the problem, it probably comes from my router or my Vista.
I have just swap to a USB/Eth adapter and not sure I have reseen this issue.
Perhaps just to be warned in the doc.
Best
January 26, 2009 07:02AM
I hate to have to tell you guys this, but udp is a best effort protocol, losses will happen once in a while.
January 26, 2009 07:09AM
Why don't you use TCP? Am I missing something here?
January 26, 2009 02:41PM
I am not even sure if the syslog protocol supports tcp.
January 26, 2009 11:28PM
[en.wikipedia.org]
Wikipedia
Syslog messages can be sent via UDP and/or TCP.
January 29, 2009 05:02PM
The plain old syslog protocol is actually UDP only, but there is a new standard which use TCP. The drawback of the TCP standard though is that it uses XML (I took a quick glance on the public draft version of the standard), handshakes and even more data fields thus making it a quite complex protocol. However, I see the problems that arise due to the use of UDP and I am thinking of creating a simple protocol for Syslog over TCP. Maybe just adding a terminal character (NUL byte) or a small size header (2 bytes) still preserving the Syslog payload.
January 29, 2009 08:17PM
I am sure that there was another IP using protocol like tcp, but with packets, and wikipedia seems to know of it.
[en.wikipedia.org]
February 03, 2009 10:35AM
I don't think SCTP would be any better than a custom protocol. It still is non-standard for Syslog and vanilla linux and windows installations don't support SCTP AFAIK. Plus I'd have to add SCTP support to my Wii code.
I'm working on another, completely custom and really simple protocol using TCP, maybe offering secure authentication and encryption / compression if I find a simple way to do it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login