Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why isn't net_gethostip() in network.h?

Posted by iofthestorm 
Why isn't net_gethostip() in network.h?
January 12, 2009 07:17AM
Hi,
So I'm working on a network using program, intending to make an RSS reader, and I was reading some tutorials and looking at example code from other apps. I looked at ftpii's source, and I notice that he used the function net_gethostip() to get the ip address of the Wii. Then I looked in network.h and it wasn't there, which confused me. Finally I searched on Google Code search and found that it was actually in libogc in wii_network.c or something, but not in the network.h header, and that ftpii was using it by doing

extern u32 net_gethostip();

I know that extern is used to specify that the mentioned object is in another file, but why isn't that just in network.h? I'm new to C so forgive me if this question is something obvious.
Re: Why isn't net_gethostip() in network.h?
January 12, 2009 07:26AM
Blame bushing. He made a mistake. It's nothing more than that.
January 12, 2009 07:26AM
No clue. If that works, go ahead and tell bushing or somebody about it, so they can add it to the GIT or CVS or whatever.
January 12, 2009 07:33AM
Oh, ok. I was wondering what other fun hidden functions are in libogc, and was going to go read through the source. Actually, that might be a fun side project. It works fine, ftpii has been using it for a while I think and it worked in my program too. I'll pop into #wiidev and let him know I guess.
January 12, 2009 11:26AM
Hi,

or you just could use if_config, which does the complete network init stuff for you and passes back the ip to you.

I added if_configex where you pass in a "struct in_addr". This is usefull if you need to use the hosts ip for binding a socket.
And yes, both functions, stuff the information into it. At the moment there's no way to manually configure your ip address.

Because network.h and if_config* is also used for the cube where you're able to manually configure all that. At the moment only the hosts ip is filled in. Also "use_dhcp" has to be true.

regrads
shagkur

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 08:45PM by shagkur.
January 12, 2009 07:39PM
Wow! I didn't even know what that did, although I did notice the similarity to ifconfig on Linux. I couldn't find any information about it in a quick Google search, as well as Google code search, and I don't think it's a standard socket function. Is there any place with documentation on libogc functions? The doxygen page was really out of data last I checked.

Edit:
So
s32 if_config( char *local_ip, char *netmask, char *gateway,boolean use_dhcp);
Are the char *local_ip *netmask and *gateway for me to pass in for manual configuration or will those be filled in by the proper values after if_config is done? And what does it do on error? I think I'll just look at the libogc source.

Oh, OK. So it returns 0 on successful initialization and stuffs the IP address in dotted form into *local_ip, and does nothing with the netmask and gateway? That's a bit misleading, although it is nice to have that handy function.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 07:48PM by iofthestorm.
January 12, 2009 08:26PM
check wiiearth source at google code, it has pretty good cnad clear network code.
January 12, 2009 09:22PM
Cool, that does have some very nice HTTP code. It doesn't explain how to use if_config though, and now I'm thinking it's best to use that to initialize, especially since shagkur recommended it. Mainly just to save on duplication of code. But I really like the WiiEarth code, especially the way it's commented and functions are named logically and everything. Very useful as a reference. But I don't want to use it directly because it's best if I learn everything myself, so when something goes wrong I know how to fix it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login