Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need some advise

Posted by Died2Well 
Need some advise
February 18, 2009 01:49AM
I'm not sure how to start, so here it goes...

Almost a year ago i bought a wii from an eBay wannabe site here in Chile (pretty good actually). It was used for almost 3 months and was a lot cheaper. It came with a modchip installed, but i didn't care.
I blame myself for playing pirated games some friends lent me, and a couple I burned myself, but the thing is I want to "go clean".I like Nintendo, and I don't want to support more piracy, so I started buying my own games.

The question is: Should i get rid of the modchip? since I'm not using it anymore. but where do I send my wii for this?
maybe i could send it to Nintendo...but I don't know if they would bother at all.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Need some advise
February 18, 2009 02:02AM
You can remove the mod chip yourself. Figure out what kind of a chip it is and detailed instructions are prolly on the chips website.
February 18, 2009 02:07AM
Don't modchips just simply plug into the disc drive? I could be wrong but I thought it was just a simple plug that looks like a ribbon cable style. You will need a triwing screwdriver though.
February 18, 2009 02:09AM
ok, thanks.
I'm not sure what kind of chip it is since the guy that sold me the wii didn't say. But still I'm not sure if i want to remove it myself, I don't want to risk my wii. I don't trust myself with a soldering gun.
February 18, 2009 02:28AM
Died2Well
... I don't trust myself with a soldering gun.
Again, I am pretty sure that it is a plug in module. Or at least some modchips or I'm crazy (or all three ;) ) Either way i understand your distrust of a soldering iron. I used to destroy boards with the soldering iron until I got good at it.
February 18, 2009 03:45AM
nope, only the VERY recent chips connect with the ribbon cabel...more than likely, his is soldered in..

My advise is to keep the drive chip. DON"T pirate, but keep it as a just in case... a few things: you can actually do legit backups, if you can control yourself not to pirate. and the other thing is you never know when it might be useful. Like for the brick disc repair. and also, most chips have region free built in without having to rely on HB that isn't volatile...

it just isn't worth the risk of de-soldering it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 03:46AM by DrLucky.
February 18, 2009 04:37AM
Thank you for all your advises. I´ve just opened the wii and it was soldered. I´ll just keep it then. But if something happens to the wii, Could I send it to Nintendo for repairs? if not, shame on me for buying a modded wii.

Again, thanks for your support.
It just didn´t feel right to just download a game, it´s basicly stealing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login