Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

*OFFTOPIC* Why this anime?

Posted by slyfox299 
*OFFTOPIC* Why this anime?
May 27, 2009 06:22AM
Can someone lighten me on why everyone is crazy over Naruto and/or Bleach and/or One Piece? I mean, come on, the stories in the animes are over 300 episodes long! Why? Because it takes 15 minutes just to throw 2 punches! (ok, ok, so I am stretching it a little)

If you can, answer me this question. *What makes an anime good and why?*

To me, true anime is a mixture of beautiful music and beautiful art. A great storyline. Etc...

Suggestions:
Hayao Mayazaki movies(Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Download it and watch it on MPlayer CE :D)
Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple
CardCaptor Sakura
Hikari no Densetsu
Mobile Suit Gundam(0079. I know, there are way too many seasons, but the first one was good...)
Lupin III
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time(movie)

Can anyone give me a good arguement to these anime? Why watch Leach or Na-farto when you could watch better anime? Like seeing Lupin getting chased by the inspector. Or Sakura and Kero-chan with Shoaran and Tomoyo. Or watching Amuro pwning Zeon. Maybe even Hikari winning the olympics?

Your thoughts...
Re: *OFFTOPIC* Why this anime?
May 27, 2009 12:04PM
Kamehamehame...

(3 weeks later)

hamehamehameHA!!!!!!!

Ooops! I missed... Let's try again...
May 27, 2009 07:48PM
Hehehe, you see it exactly as I do... I enjoy anime, but if it takes 300+ episodes to do the entire story, I lose interest. The Gundam series, to a degree, is like this, but at least they are all seperate stories which don't take but one or two seasons to run(correct me if I am wrong)...

I watched part of an episode of Avatar at a dentist's office out of the corner of my eye. I timed it and the entire fight scene took 14min36sec to finish. (I hate avatar, that is the worst anime of them all... either that or OnePiece)

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant...
May 27, 2009 07:51PM
And let me add one more question.

Which do you prefer? English dubs or Japanese with english subs?

(I have actually learned a good bit of japanese watching CCSakura)
May 28, 2009 12:09AM
I like a very deep anime...

or ones with these: ( Y )
haha jk

I like these:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell
Fullmetal Alchemist
Elfin Lied
Death Note (mainstream, I know, but good none-the-less)
Kite
Akira

I usually watch them on my ipod, so subbed can be hard to read. I like dubbed as long as the didn't edit the original episodes in the dubbing process.
May 28, 2009 11:51AM
Personally, I prefer original audio, for any kind of media. Sometimes dubs are too much lame.

slyfox299
(I hate avatar, that is the worst anime of them all... either that or OnePiece)

Actually I like Avatar... It's not really a anime (c'mon, it's from Nickelodeon), but is pretty good and generally, there's no much delay in the story.

Anyway, I'm not a serious anime watcher, but fillers and cuts and etcetera just annoy me.
May 28, 2009 09:14PM
slyfox299
I timed it and the entire fight scene took 14min36sec to finish.

What?!?!?!
No fight in the seires took that long.
And compared to Narutos pacing, Avatar is on speed. I'd say, its pacing is normal for an US television series.

Generally I also do not like the very slow paced animes, like Naruto.

DanielHueho
Actually I like Avatar... It's not really a anime (c'mon, it's from Nickelodeon), but is pretty good and generally, there's no much delay in the story.

I agree, wholeheartedly.
The only thing I did not like, was the Deus Ex Machina in the finale.

Whil I have no problem with reading subtitles, I usually prefer dubs.
(german, in my case) And thankfully, every series I like seems to be treated well in the dubbing process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 09:17PM by daniel_c_w.
May 28, 2009 11:50PM
German, eh? I guess you are familiar with Hikari no Densetsu?

Anyways, I recommend checking out Appleseed(2004). The best english dub I've seen yet..
May 29, 2009 01:52AM
slyfox299
I guess you are familiar with Hikari no Densetsu?.

Now I feel a little bit embaraced, because I do :D
Everytime i hear or read the word "Hikari", I remember the rather cheesy (german) themesong.
I never liked the show, though - but the song is still stuck in my head, even after (looks up wikipedia) almost 15 years :D
(I do not know, whether the german song uses the same melody and a faithfull translation, or was a completely new composition)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 01:53AM by daniel_c_w.
May 29, 2009 05:29AM
daniel_c_w
Everytime i hear or read the word "Hikari", I remember the rather cheesy (german) themesong.
I never liked the show, though - but the song is still stuck in my head, even after (looks up wikipedia) almost 15 years :D
(I do not know, whether the german song uses the same melody and a faithfull translation, or was a completely new composition)

For me, it's the other way around. I liked the show, but I didn't care for the theme song. The original theme song in japanese was much more emotional... The german dub was, er, rough... Still, I liked Mr D.'s songs; they were ok. The ending song in japanese was the best... I finally managed to learn her routine song on the piano, but I am still lacking sheet music.

Hey, if you liked Hikari, you ought to check out Piano: Melody of a Young Girl's Heart. That was pretty good. 10 episodes long make it a weekend watch...
May 30, 2009 12:42AM
slyfox299
For me, it's the other way around. I liked the show, but I didn't care for the theme song.

Just to be clear, I like neither one. The song is just stuck in my head.
I propably just let the show run on TV, because I did not want to miss the show, that came after it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login