Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's your favorite Mario Kart?

Posted by nintendude 
What's your favorite Mario Kart?
May 30, 2009 06:26AM
After playing Super Mario Kart on my Wii (thanks to the SNES emulator downloaded through HBC) and after playing MKDS before that, I've had Mario Kart on my mind (not to mention the song to Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road playing in my head for most of the day) and thought of this question to ask you guys for the heck of it: what's your overall favorite Mario Kart? Personally, as much as I love the past ones, Mario Kart Wii would have to be my favorite because of a couple of things:

1)You can race with bikes! (My best "kart" is the Dolphin Dasher and favorite/best character is Yoshi).
2)More courses (wish they had a past Rainbow Road, though) and characters to choose from than any other Mario Kart before that.
3)Even though I like the older method of drifting, no snaking! (Alright, while technically you CAN snake, it's impractical and will slow you down. Trust me, I've tried it. I did pretty good with it in MKDS, though...)
4)And finally, last, but not least, online play (that's not like Brawl's)! Up to 12 players simultaneously, a 3 star rank that you can show the world as you fly by the competition, and, as mentioned above, no snaking to ruin the fun for those of us who can't/don't want to snake and who don't choose the right kart with the right speed boost from snaking to get through shortcuts!

Now, tell me YOUR thoughts/opinions on the subject!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 06:27AM by nintendude.
Re: What's your favorite Mario Kart?
May 30, 2009 06:51AM
I still think, that DS is the best Mario Kart, but if it had a better Battlemode MK-Wii would be on top, for the reasons you staed.

Plus: you can customize it a lot, like tunrning of items, and make it a true racing game, if you like.
I also like Nintendo's approach to ghosts, tournametnts and leadeboards.

Mario Kart Super Circuit is the worst one, with MK64 being second to last, only saved by it's great Battlemode

(not to mention the song to Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road playing in my head for most of the day)
I can relate. I will never understand, why they changed the theme for (most of) the other Mariokart games.
May 30, 2009 08:32AM
I like (and have) all of the mario kart games, but my least favorite is double dash... I'm not sure why
May 30, 2009 01:42PM
Mario Kart ME ;)
May 31, 2009 01:46AM
daniel_c_w

(not to mention the song to Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road playing in my head for most of the day)
I can relate. I will never understand, why they changed the theme for (most of) the other Mariokart games.

My favorite Rainbow Road song, though, is from MK:DD. That, and I also really like MK64 and SMK's Rainbow Road songs as well.
May 31, 2009 02:00AM
daniel_c_w
I still think, that DS is the best Mario Kart, but if it had a better Battlemode MK-Wii would be on top, for the reasons you staed.

Plus: you can customize it a lot, like tunrning of items, and make it a true racing game, if you like.
I also like Nintendo's approach to ghosts, tournametnts and leadeboards.

Mario Kart Super Circuit is the worst one, with MK64 being second to last, only saved by it's great Battlemode

It's funny you mention it because I've been playing Super Circuit and it's very similar to Super Mario Kart. Speaking of which, Super Mario Kart is frustrating as it's totally unbalanced and unfair. It's unfair because computers can use their specialty item (like Mario & Luigi can use a star) on demand and spam the usage of them. Plus, speaking of items, COMs can jump over items, including a red shell that's fired at them! >:( As far as the unbalanced part goes, some characters are faster and handle better than others (as much as I like to use Yoshi, Koopa Troopa's the only character who does any good in 150cc, not to mention every online FAQ guide that I've read states that Koopa Troopa is the best overall character). And SMK has a very predictable outcome for every race. For example, when you play as Yoshi and, say, you win 1st place, it's almost guaranteed that every time, Koopa Troopa will be 2nd, DK Jr. will be 3rd, Peach 4th, Bowser 5th, Mario 6th, Toad 7th, and Luigi 8th (yes, I memorized this after playing many times in many cups as Yoshi). Also, the only time this almost guaranteed order can possibly get messed up is when an item hits another character or if they (rarely, at least in the higher engine classes) run over a banana peel or green shell. There's been a few times where I wanted to say obscenities because of these things.

Also, one of the things I wish MK Wii has that MKDS had is the option to create and use your own emblem and have it appear next to your name. I made a cool N64 logo for MKDS and I wish I could use it for MK Wii!
June 15, 2009 01:57AM
What is Mario Kart ME?

I prefer Super Mario Kart!!! It has the best controls and is least luck-based. Nearly 100 % talented based as the green shells can be compared to the reds due to the ability to bounce them in a wall and then hit. This is very hard in the other games as there are very few "exact walls".
I hate blue shells and I hate that reds follow the road and I also hate that you can get 3 of them!!!

@nintendude: The unfairities make the game harder and even more fun to play!
June 15, 2009 02:13PM
profetylen
What is Mario Kart ME?
A hacked version of Super Mario Kart being developed by one of my closest friends, retrotails. Watch: [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 02:13PM by Arikado.
June 15, 2009 04:51PM
Haha! Nice character set! Especially your friend in his chair! :D
June 15, 2009 07:42PM
Mariokart DS, simply because it's portable and has a great WiFi community. I use Luigi with ROB's little bike thing most of the time.
June 17, 2009 02:05AM
64 is the best,itohnomypspmessedupandican'tusespaces!!!;(
June 17, 2009 02:09AM
z400100500
Press triangle ;)
June 17, 2009 04:05AM
z400100500
Press select to switch the type of keyboard
June 17, 2009 03:39PM
Triangle? Is that some kind of playstation related joke?
June 17, 2009 05:58PM
PSP keyboard sux... =P
June 17, 2009 06:16PM
daniel_c_w
Uhm, no. I was serious. Pressing triangle is the way of making a space character without using the virtual "keyboard".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 06:17PM by Arikado.
June 17, 2009 06:28PM
Arikado
daniel_c_w
Uhm, no. I was serious. Pressing triangle is the way of making a space character without using the virtual "keyboard".
My bad. I did not see the "psp" in z400100500's mess of letters.
June 17, 2009 10:43PM
Arikado
daniel_c_w
Triangle wouldn't have helped if the keyboard was in 'URL mode', so he'd have to push select to get to the regular keyboard
June 29, 2009 05:57PM
ctrl+alt+Delete!!!!!
June 29, 2009 06:03PM
aujakev
ctrl+alt+Delete!!!!!
on behalf of everyone, uh...what?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.