Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this possible?

Posted by St.Jimmy 
Is this possible?
July 04, 2009 03:52AM
Okay guys, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but this is the closest one I could find. I run a few homebrew apps on my wii. I'm running 4.0, bannerbomb'd and running bootmii and the homebrew channel. All the latest versions as of two day ago. What I would like to do is create a channel for some of my most-used apps (homebrew browser, FCE Ultra GX, mPlayer), so I can launch them from my system menu. I've googled and dug around, but all I can find are some multi-launchers, which are nice, but not what I'm looking for, and some stuff about code-stealing modchips and illegal banners and wadder, which is llegal, but isn't, and blah blah blah...

I'm really confused. What is a banner, and how can it be illegal? And can I install homebrew to it's own channel?

Sorry if this is the wrong place.
Re: Is this possible?
July 04, 2009 04:39AM
AFAIK, a banner is like the appearance of the channel on the system menu, or something like that, i don't know. :P
The problem is, code from nintendo is used in the channels banner, which is illegal. Before you ask, the reason the homebrew channel able to be installed legally is because Team Twiizers didn't illegally take code from nintendo to make their banner, they figured out a way to make their own (AFAIK). Hope that helps answer your questions. :)
July 04, 2009 06:17AM
WaxyPumpkin72
AFAIK, a banner is like the appearance of the channel on the system menu, or something like that, i don't know. :P
The problem is, code from nintendo is used in the channels banner, which is illegal. Before you ask, the reason the homebrew channel able to be installed legally is because Team Twiizers didn't illegally take code from nintendo to make their banner, they figured out a way to make their own (AFAIK). Hope that helps answer your questions. :)
Ok, that answers my questions as to banners, thanks.
But is it possible to adapt that code, or some other homemade code to make a channel for another app?
July 04, 2009 06:18AM
Don't think so.
July 04, 2009 06:47AM
Well yes, but Team Twiizers never released their banner making tools.
July 04, 2009 06:59AM
Technically could you not make a channel and not put any pictures (banners) on it?
July 04, 2009 07:03AM
That doesn't really seem possible. There has to be some sort of display.....
July 04, 2009 07:05AM
No, it's perfectly possible, but I don't know how one would go about doing it.
July 04, 2009 07:46AM
bg4545
Well yes, but Team Twiizers never released their banner making tools.
They, or somebody else, really should. I bet that the community could get some real use out of them.

There's WADder, but that's somehow illegal. Maybe. I don't know.
July 04, 2009 08:07AM
St.Jimmy
They, or somebody else, really should. I bet that the community could get some real use out of them.

Uh, if you worked really hard on something, would you just release it to the public and say "Here you go! Here's all my hard work so n00bs can make custom channels!!"? I wouldn't. And i doubt if they did release their tools that someone like you (or me :P) would have the experience to know how to use them.
July 04, 2009 08:24AM
WaxyPumpkin72
St.Jimmy

Uh, if you worked really hard on something, would you just release it to the public and say "Here you go! Here's all my hard work so n00bs can make custom channels!!"? I wouldn't. And i doubt if they did release their tools that someone like you (or me :P) would have the experience to know how to use them.
That's true. I guess I'm just used to open-source stuff. Still, I think that a tool needs to exist out there, if only for developers.
July 04, 2009 09:31PM
July 04, 2009 10:14PM
St.Jimmy
It distributes copyrighted code.
July 04, 2009 10:19PM
wiiguy
For the banners: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Benzin
So, in theory, one could compile Benzin, make a legal banner, and use something like WADder to make a forwarding channel?

EDIT:
Arikado
St.Jimmy
It distributes copyrighted code.
Which part, the banners, or part of the software itself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 10:45PM by St.Jimmy.
July 07, 2009 04:07PM
WADder itself contains illegal code, so you cannot use it legally at all. But what I don't get is, if you make a legal banner with benzin, can you not then make it, comex's NAND loader and a homebrew .dol file into a WAD and install it? Or is there more to it than that?
July 08, 2009 05:43AM
You can make it not use copyrighted code I think, defaultly you down load a patch from nintendo or something from Nintendos servers, which is I asume the copyrighted part, couldnt you copy the update section from the, say brawl disk and then it would be ok? other then that its a bunch of AutoIT scripts that run in sequence.
July 12, 2009 04:14PM
ninjafish1990
You can make it not use copyrighted code I think
The problem with WADDER is that it distributes copyrighted code. In other words, when you download it, you're also downloading copyrighted code. Whether or not you can use it to make a legal WAD becomes invalid at that point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 04:16PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login