Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could someone help me with cygwin please?

Posted by SifJar 
Could someone help me with cygwin please?
August 25, 2009 09:45PM
I have installed Cygwin to try and compile benzin and update downloader, but there are problems. I installed GCC, wget and make, as told to in various instructions, but when I navigate to the update_downloader folder and type make, it says

make: gcc: command not found

and when I was trying benzin, and got to the bit where you type ./configure to get mxml ready, it tells me there is no compatible compiler in the path or something like that.

Anybody know what I could be doing wrong? I have reinstall Cygwin several times and gcc several more times. I'm prett sure make itself is working, havent tested wget, but I think its GCC is the problem from the errors. Anyone know how I can get it in the path?
Re: Could someone help me with cygwin please?
August 26, 2009 05:49AM
AFAIK there are 2 ways you can make sure this works.
1: Check the systems path (enviromental variable PATH), and make sure that one of the locations points to gcc.exe
2:Reinstall Cygwin one more time. and when it asks you what porgrams to install select gcc and c librarys. You also might be able to fine your other apps.

As for no compiler. When you make a program, you have to compile it. Because you don't have gcc, you don't have a compiler. Fix gcc and you will solve that problem.

I personaly like to use an actual linux distro, Ubuntu. Cygwin just get annoying sometimes. But, i still use it when i need to.
August 26, 2009 01:04PM
I cant find a gcc.exe, but I find a gcc-3.exe. Is that it just badly named? Should I rename it gcc, would that make it work?
August 26, 2009 05:24PM
I cant find gcc.exe anywhere. I have reinstalled Cygwin loads of times, each time installing GCC. And I have also run setup.exe several more times and reinstalled GCC, even tried different versions. Is there a way to manually install it? Or can I use the version I have installed with Minimal System with Cygwin? If so, how would I do that? (I installed Minimal System with DevKitPro)

EDIT: I copied gcc.exe from MinGW/bin to cygwin/bin, now I'm getting this error:

Inspiron 6000@DGDFDW1J /cygdrive/c/update_downloader
$ make
gcc -c -Wall -O2 aes.c -o aes.o
gcc -c -Wall -O2 main.c -o main.o
In file included from main.c:33:
endian.h: In function `be64':
endian.h:28: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
endian.h:29: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
endian.h:30: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
main.c: In function `get_title_key':
main.c:78: warning: implicit declaration of function `aes_set_key'
main.c: In function `download_all_versions':
main.c:314: error: too many arguments to function `mkdir'
main.c: In function `main':
main.c:371: error: too many arguments to function `mkdir'
make: *** [main.o] Error 1
rm aes.o

Is this at all related, or is this something wrong with update_downloader?

EDIT: I think its an update_downloader problem, as benzin is going OK (so far, not quite finished yet). Are there any other .exes I should copy besides gcc.exe?

EDIT: OK, benzin isnt working. I got mxml-2.5 made and installed (I think), but benzin gives a load of errors. Guess I didnt copy over everything, or else this isnt going to work with .exes copied from MinGW. Are there other .exes I should have copied? Please help me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 05:52PM by SifJar.
August 29, 2009 02:47AM
MinGW GCC != Cygwin GCC, hence the errors

You should just change the makefiles to point to the gcc-3.exe instead of just gcc.exe...
August 29, 2009 06:05AM
Try installing DJGPP on windows go to command line and type
gcc
if it says
gcc: no input files
then restart Cygwin and type gcc it should say the same, If it does your good. if it doesn't say it on windows then you did something wrong. Then you could install Dev-cpp, which uses gcc for it's compiler, and everything should work.
August 29, 2009 02:04PM
BTW, are you using Cygwin shell?
August 29, 2009 02:07PM
I have dev-cpp installed. but it still gcc still doesnt work in cygwin. but i'll try DJGPP.

DanielHueho
BTW, are you using Cygwin shell?

Umm...I dunno. What do you mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 02:09PM by SifJar.
August 29, 2009 04:08PM
When you install Cygwin, it comes with a Bash port for Windows. You should use Bash instead of the Command Prompt to compile your apps.
August 29, 2009 04:15PM
Oh, yeah I use that. I havent tried DJGPP yet, I'll go get it now. But I do have dev-cpp, why isnt gcc from it working?
August 29, 2009 05:55PM
DanielHueho
MinGW GCC != Cygwin GCC, hence the errors

You should just change the makefiles to point to the gcc-3.exe instead of just gcc.exe...

That gives far more errors. BTW, I got the GCC from Dev-CPP working, but it still gives the error I posted above from when I used the MinGW gcc.exe. I stopped dowloading DJGPP because I thought the GCC from Dev-CPP was going to work, but it didnt. I'll try DJGPP again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login