Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can I buy a USB gecko now?

Posted by pokeglobe 
Where can I buy a USB gecko now?
April 03, 2010 07:24AM
It seems, wherever I look I cannot find a USB gecko.
I have tried many modchip sites and such, but none have it anymore.

I live in canada if this helps.
Re: Where can I buy a USB gecko now?
April 03, 2010 07:46AM
Thats really odd, you can usually buy them from this website, but it would seem that they're out of stock ATM....
April 03, 2010 07:56AM
I hope they come back. Thanks. I also heard that they were low at wiird.
April 03, 2010 08:17AM
You could also, in theory build one. Which I may do soon, as I really want a USB Gecko, but can't find one either =(
April 03, 2010 01:58PM
try quantronics out of .au they are a little pricey but they have them in stock.
April 03, 2010 10:00PM
@pokeglobe:

Just in case you want a direct link. :P
[www.quantronics.com.au]

That was a nice find, elmoreas.
May 01, 2010 01:36AM
gp2xstore now has sd gecko. Is that just as good
May 01, 2010 07:49AM
oldtopman
gp2xstore now has sd gecko. Is that just as good
No, they're 2 different things. SD gecko only allows you to use an SD card as a Gamecube Memory card and it's mostly used to run Gamecube Homebrew
May 01, 2010 02:10PM
From what I've heard, there may soon not be much need for a USBGecko ;)
May 01, 2010 10:49PM
SifJar
From what I've heard, there may soon not be much need for a USBGecko ;)
What have you heard?
May 01, 2010 11:53PM
Not sure I can really say...I was told something in a private IRC chat which leads me to believe in the near future USB Gecko's will be unnecessary, so I'd advise against buying one, but I dunno if the person who told me is OK with anything more being told. I only said this so people wouldn't waste time and money getting a USB Gecko, only for it to become much less essential in the future. Having said that, I have no idea when it will happen, or just how redundant it will render a USB Gecko, it may be that you'll still need a USB Gecko for some things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 11:55PM by SifJar.
May 02, 2010 03:13AM
May I ask whom this particular person was that you had a discussion with?
May 02, 2010 01:20PM
Megazig
May 02, 2010 10:30PM
The only thing that would render a USB gecko obsolete would be the same functionality through the system's USB ports.
Which would be awesome.
May 02, 2010 11:34PM
agoaj
The only thing that would render a USB gecko obsolete would be the same functionality through the system's USB ports.
Which would be awesome.

Well thats just not true. A large number of things could do the task. Why must it be through the USB ports?
May 03, 2010 04:15AM
SifJar,

Megazig's project is long since dead. Even if it had been completed, it would never have reached the same ability of a USB Gecko.
May 03, 2010 02:09PM
Arikado
SifJar,

Megazig's project is long since dead. Even if it had been completed, it would never have reached the same ability of a USB Gecko.

Oh ok. Sorry guys, ignore what I said.

Anyway, you say long dead : it was only 3 or 4 weeks ago he told me about it, I wouldn't say thats long dead. And he said it would basically do what a USB Gecko does.
May 03, 2010 09:24PM
Yes, but it wouldn't have worked for homebrew code and it would also require you to have a network connection. Interestingly, it was killed about the same time you talked to him. Not necessarily 'long' dead but dead long enough that I'm surprised you didn't know.
May 04, 2010 10:54PM
Arikado
Yes, but it wouldn't have worked for homebrew code and it would also require you to have a network connection. Interestingly, it was killed about the same time you talked to him. Not necessarily 'long' dead but dead long enough that I'm surprised you didn't know.

Well, I rarely have time to go on IRC these days, I think that may well have been the last time I was on, so I don't ever see any discussion about this sort of thing. Most of my up-to-date knowledge comes from forum posts atm.
May 05, 2010 02:34AM
Please don't take any offense to my comments, they weren't intended to be interpreted like that. I understand your situation and I understand that you simply were, like always, only doing your very best (which I and everyone else on this forum greatly appreciate as always too).

To return to the question of this topic: I was just able to purchase one of the few remaining USB Geckos at FoundMy here: [foundmy.com] (Tantric recommended me to them yesterday when I asked the same question as the poster in #wiidev on EFNET)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 02:35AM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login