Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act...

Posted by Kammesennin 
Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act...
October 20, 2010 07:54PM
Anyone heard of this? This is NOT good... I don't know that it would affect this website, but it certainly is possible! It certainly will affect a large portion of other websites, some I could care less about, but there are legit websites out there all over the place that could be shutdown with or without real reason if this passes.

Some info about it, plus full text available here.

Also if this does not pass, apparently there is a backup plan to enforce the black list on US residents.

Sounds to me like if Nintendo wanted to put a stop to Wiibrew they could by way of a small investment now. Not only censor the website but have it removed from the internet if COICA passes.
Re: Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act...
October 21, 2010 12:05AM
Kammesennin
Sounds to me like if Nintendo wanted to put a stop to Wiibrew they could by way of a small investment now. Not only censor the website but have it removed from the internet if COICA passes.

None of Mha's servers are in US.
October 21, 2010 05:51PM
yellowstar
Kammesennin

None of Mha's servers are in US.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the text of the document but being in the US isn't required for them to be able to take action.
October 21, 2010 08:46PM
US can not take action on servers located in other countries.

The only thing they can do is to contact the government of those countries, and ask them to take action. But it is up to the government of those countries to decide if they are interested or not in taking any action.
October 22, 2010 02:07AM

but being in the US isn't required for them to be able to take action

ROFLMAO... ok, i am a US Citizen, living in the US but even I have to think this above comment is ridiculous, so i know how all the non US Citizens feel about it...

why the f$%# do you think an american court would have ANY SAY on something that happens outside the US.
We aren't gonna force people to shut down servers that we have NO jurisdiction over.

Come on man, you give the rest of us a bad name when you say crap like that!

Edit: typo!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 02:51AM by mdbrim.
October 22, 2010 02:36AM
mdbrim

ROFLMAO... ok, i am a US Citizen, living in the US but even I have to think this above comment is ridiculous, so i know how all the non US Citizen's feel about it...

why the f$%# do you think an american court would have ANY SAY on something that happens outside the US.
Wwe aren't gonna force people to shut down servers that we have NO jurisdiction over.

To add to this:
How would you feel if I went in to your house and told you you can't watch a certain TV channel? You'd kick me out and/or call the police. So why would the U.S. be able to to that to another country?
October 22, 2010 03:40AM
Because they can't, kinda why they couldn't go after limewire and the like when all that fuss about downloading mp3's and junk. They were outside the US, the programs were made outside the US, and the US didn't have the jurisdiction over it, so I heard. But if its bad enough the US will go outside the states to the country and work with them to get it to stop. Part of it to me is its part of new age of digital, and internet, I don't think it can be stopped altogether.
October 22, 2010 06:51AM
can't they have ISP's block connections to the sites?
October 22, 2010 02:31PM
they can try... sure. But even if they succeeded, it would be very hard to enforce, keep a "block" on a certain site intact.
There are a million ways around that!

but only ISP's in the United States... that wouldn't do anything to the actual site obviously... just keep a percentage of its visitors from getting there. Not really the same as "OMG THEY ARE GONNA SHUT DOWN THE SITE!"
October 22, 2010 03:42PM
g_man
can't they have ISP's block connections to the sites?

This was done once already by AOL blocking connection to 4chan.org (don't visit it! you are advised! and if you do, whatever you do, don't go inside /b/).

This block caused one of the biggest fusses ever, sues started to appear regarding censorship and rights, and they ended up having to lift the block. So it is VERY unlikely the US court would be able to block access to websites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 03:43PM by Axel.
October 22, 2010 07:12PM
mdbrim

ROFLMAO... ok, i am a US Citizen, living in the US but even I have to think this above comment is ridiculous, so i know how all the non US Citizens feel about it...

We aren't gonna force people to shut down servers that we have NO jurisdiction over.

Edit: typo!

I think you missed part of the quote there... "Perhaps I misinterpreted the text of the document", just as I may have missed a few words when I wrote that response... give me a fucking break here I run on next to no sleep generally speaking.

bg4545, bad example as I refuse to watch television due to the regulations imposed on what's broadcasted by the Federal Reserve... but I'm not going to bother to get into all of that right now. Also, don't be so quick to judge my reactions, if you came into my house like that, you're life is forfeit plain and simple. However, to end the ranting... I do understand what you are saying, and I was merely concerned that something like that could be a future possibility due to this act as I'm not fully/properly aware of the actual implications of such an act.

Anyway... I wasn't all like ZOMG teh governments are gonna roolz the interwebz! Just wanted to make sure all are aware of this act, and gather their thoughts on it, so I posted links to the information I found but apparently it doesn't matter... just what I said about it matters... which is fine, thanks all for your input.

And all I said was it sounded to me like if Nintendo really wanted they could have the site shut down, but if this act doesn't enable the US to shut shit down like that then I guess it's just that I won't be able to get here anymore should someone have this server blacklisted...

In short... sorry if I was fucking wrong! Maybe text just isn't a format I should use for communication to anyone anymore as it never works out the way it's intended. And sorry for whatever incorrect crap I put in this post too, but I'm sure you'll all tell me what it is I put that's wrong, and no matter how fucked up your response may seem to me, thank you anyway for attempting to further my education.
October 22, 2010 08:54PM

I think you missed part of the quote there... "Perhaps I misinterpreted the text of the document"
No we didn't miss that.... that's why we were educating you on the subject.

and the text specifically says that they wouldn't be able to shut down sites outside their jurisdiction...

but if this act doesn't enable the US to shut shit down like that then I guess it's just that I won't be able to get here anymore should someone have this server blacklisted...

why would you not be able to get here anymore... we just told you it wasn't gonna happen!

I wasn't all like ZOMG teh governments are gonna roolz the interwebz!
==

it sounded to me like if Nintendo really wanted they could have the site shut down
+

it's just that I won't be able to get here anymore

sorry if I was fucking wrong!
You are forgiven!

And sorry for whatever incorrect crap I put in this post too, but I'm sure you'll all tell me what it is I put that's wrong,
no problem!

thank you anyway for attempting to further my education.
You are welcome my friend!! :D
October 26, 2010 01:16AM
When I said I wouldn't be able to get here anymore I was referring to the possibility this site be blacklisted, meaning it cannot be accessed from within the US, which is possible, however unlikely. Now that I've gotten some much needed sleep and read it all over again a few times I'm not concerned at all that the site would be shut down.

Also I feel the need to apologize. I blew up a little bit and got upset about various other things and took it out on you guys, mdbrim in particular. That giving Americans a bad name comment was apparently enough to piss me off at the time... looking back at it I somewhat see what you were getting at, still feel it was a bit extreme, but numerous things had been misinterpreted so... at any rate, I'm sorry everyone for the ridiculous behavior here and I'll be more aware of what I'm saying before posting from now on.
October 26, 2010 03:31AM

but numerous things had been misinterpreted

Your all good dude, no worries. That's the bad part about text... it's hard to interpret tone. I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk or angry, just getting a point across while poking a little fun at the next guy... it's how i show love!

Hugs!

-mdbrim
October 30, 2010 04:05AM
Assuming this law or a similar one gets passed, why would this website get blocked?

Also, in the unlikely event that this website is censored, just download Tor. If you are really paranoid, download Tor now in case that gets blocked too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login