Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Platue effect

Posted by Xylite 
The Platue effect
September 02, 2008 01:18AM
thats what we have hit, with a low of new ppl active in the forum, minimal homebrew being made, it seems we have hit a platue, and are stuck with simple nes style games, personally i think this compettion was a bad idea, because no one is putting any work out because they are saving it all up for the tourny
Re: The Platue effect
September 02, 2008 02:52AM
Oh...that's not good...
September 02, 2008 03:42AM
well it'll be awsum when all the apps are released, so be patient :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2008 03:43AM by adamisgood36.
September 02, 2008 02:30PM
Xylite
thats what we have hit, with a low of new ppl active in the forum, minimal homebrew being made, it seems we have hit a platue, and are stuck with simple nes style games, personally i think this compettion was a bad idea, because no one is putting any work out because they are saving it all up for the tourny
The hell are you talking about?
I watched beardface update WiiPhysics a few days ago, I know quite a few people chugging away at their homebrew (myself included), and not even waninkoko is taking a break.

If you think forum activity is low, maybe you're hitting refresh too much. Go outside.
September 02, 2008 09:22PM
tona
Xylite
The hell are you talking about?
I watched beardface update WiiPhysics a few days ago, I know quite a few people chugging away at their homebrew (myself included), and not even waninkoko is taking a break.

If you think forum activity is low, maybe you're hitting refresh too much. Go outside.
The rules state that it must be new homebrew that has never been released so that's why we still see updates, as for slowing down Xylite is right, a lot of members have left due to the forums and even though the old ones are back up, the old members probably haven't checked for them yet. Once the contest is over, hopefully things start picking up again.
September 02, 2008 09:25PM
Wait, people are actually doing things for that tournament? That's news to me...
September 02, 2008 10:43PM
tona
Wait, people are actually doing things for that tournament? That's news to me...
You know...I was really trying hard to respect you as an Admin., but lately your sarcasm and meanness (if that's a word XP) is really making me not think of you as a good person... :(
September 02, 2008 10:52PM
What are you saying? The contest is having no effect. Plenty of new apps have been released (Doom, Wii Shooting Gallery) and updated (WiiPhysics, Mahjongg Wii). I actually agree with tona, I'm not expecting much to turn up from this. Having said that, anything that does turn better be pretty good considering all the development time. Furthermore, exactly what apps do you know of that are not being released due to the contest? I chose not to enter it (didn't like requirements) and don't know of really anyone that is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2008 11:02PM by Arikado.
September 03, 2008 12:24AM
Yeah, that's all I meant. I talk to people working on lots of different homebrew, and I don't know a single person working on anything for that contest, whereas I know a lot that are working on things regardless of that contest.
September 03, 2008 09:08PM
Doom came out? I see a little dip in code writing but I can't keep up with the homebrew anyways. The dip is expected since school in anywhere I know of is starting and schoolwork is taking over. This LITTLE DIP will help come up with new games that are better than ever because homebrew for wii isn't 1 year old yet meaning all the "dead time" in school can be used for coming up with ideas. Look at Galaxy Stations (supposed to help them, crap better get back to that with graphics) slowy making it there and will be best out there in the feature list.

P.S.: [objection.mrdictionary.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 09:21PM by pinball Wizard.
October 06, 2008 02:31AM
forum wise, i havent been here in about 2 months, and there is only like 10 new topics in each cat >.>
homebrew wise, i see wii physics becoming great, but that is all i see going any where fast.
the homebrew seems like a phase, it picked up and went fast for a while, but then it kinda just stopped
October 06, 2008 10:53PM
Yeah, homebrew just kinda stopped. Noyhing's happened in the last two month's. Let's not even mention how slow august was.

wiibrew
06 October 08: Hermes has released a new version of WiiEngine 1.5b. This version fixes the save bug.
05 October 08: Miom has released SD Explorer 1.0b. This version adds a copy function, uses a new skin, and fixes the delete corruption bug.
05 October 08: CashMan has released a new version Wii Quizz 1.3. This version adds a new game mode and other changes.
03 October 08: rOn has released MPlayerWii 0.06. This version add huge speedup on USB devices and added classic controller support.
03 October 08: Hermes has released WiiEngine 1.5. This version adds Gamecube gamepad support and some improvements in CD Rom game and sound.
01 October 08: Tantric has released FCE Ultra GX 2.0.3. This version adds FDS support and improves stability.
01 October 08: farter has released a new version of GeeXboX v0.1alpha3. This version fix various bugs, update MPlayer to r27630.
29 September 08: raribeir has released version 0.1 of WiiFortune. This version implements a version of the Unix' fortune written from scratch.
26 September 08: Muzer, mattgentl, and CraZzy have released version 1.1 of txt-read. It includes many new features and bugfixes.
26 September 08: Eluan has reelased a new version of Quake 0.04. This version add Mods and Mission packs support, Transparent status bar, a new menu and various bugfixes.
23 September 08: CashMan has released Wii Quizz. It currently only has questions in French.
22 September 08: michniewski & Tantric have released Snes9x GX 005. It features the 1.51 core, superscope support, auto save/load and more.
21 September 08: Arikado has released v0.1 of Wiibreaker. This is a simple brickbreaker game.
21 September 08: Lnuxguy has released version 0.3 of WiiDoom. This verson implements Saving, Loading, Automap, and PWAD support.
20 September 08: Tantric has released version 2.0.2 of FCE Ultra GX. This verson contains bugfixes and better Zapper controls.
18 September 08: joedj has released version 0.0.14 of FTPii. This version was rebuilt with latest libfat CVS to fix delete corruption bug and speed up opening large files.
18 September 08: Tantric has released version 1.0.1 of Visual Boy Advance GX. This version fixes problems with L/R buttons, improves the menu and runs GBA games at full speed.
17 September 08: Rockybulwinkle has released v1.1 of Gravity. This version allows for adjusting acceleration and zoom.
17 September 08: Eke-eke has released a new version of Gnuboy GX. This version fixes the "Press Button A" issue and adds fast scrolling.
15 September 08: adb has released v0.1 of Map Maker, a demo app that generates cool-looking terrain you can edit on-the-fly
12 September 08: Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher 0.2 supports loading from front SD slot. Gamecube disc support has been added (untested).
11 September 08: Hermes has released WiiEngine 1.4. This version adds emulation of some functions of the PC Engine CD BIOS, support of ADPCM format and updates the Savestate.
10 September 08: Lnuxguy has released WiiDoom 0.2. This version supports IR turning, as well as corrected brightness,sound, and weapon selection.
09 September 08: Hermes has released an update of his PC Engine emulator WiiEngine 1.2. This update add Nunchuck support, correct support of games Street Fighter 2 & Strip Fighter, fix sound...
09 September 08: Penpvdbs has released Easy homebrew installer, a compact installer to install the Homebrew Channel.
08 September 08: libwiiupdate allows you to easily add update support to your app.
07 September 08: rockybulwinkle has released version 1.0 of Gravity, a multiplayer space shooting game with universal gravitation.
06 September 08: Mega Man has released Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher which can start Gamecube homebrew applications.
06 September 08: Amarth released version 0.2 of his Jump 'n Bump port. It is a multiplayer game with cute bunnies and gore. Very addictive!
05 September 08: PaceMaker released version 0.3 of his SpaceShooter homebrew game, adding more controller choices, two new levels and background mp3 sound.
04 September 08: Scognito published a level editor for his upcoming homebrew game Wiicross.
02 September 08: JustWoody has released v0.4 of Mahjongg Wii. Added multiple tile layouts, shuffle mode, matching tile counter, true type style font, etc.
01 September 08: Westy92 released a Metronome. It is the first metronome for the Wii. Check it out! Download here.
November 08, 2008 08:42PM
i guess i should rephrase, while new things are coming out, not to much of it is intresting, i can play emus, but i could originally, i enjoy wiiero alot, and other than psx and the better wii physics, im not seeing to much of intrest being made
November 08, 2008 10:37PM
Everybody's interests are different. New software takes time to develop, especially when you've got to reverse engineer Nintendo code, and you need to do a fair bit of testing if there is a potential for bricking.

Plus, you're always welcome to contribute something
November 09, 2008 06:28AM
Arikado
I actually agree with tona, I'm not expecting much to turn up from this.
Although I know you've seen this already... orly?

whodares
Everybody's interests are different.
Be that as it may, it's true that there aren't that many original games out there yet. From a gaming perspective, besides ports and emulators, there are only a handful of games they'd want to play. However, that's just one viewpoint of course, it's all about what you're interested in. Personally I'm interested in every single piece of homebrew for the Wii be it a game, hack, application, etc.

I was actually planning on releasing my own game for the competition (I just want a USB Gecko D: ), but I wasn't "saving it up" for the contest. I was already working on it when the contest was announced and figured that it'd be nice to commit to a concrete due date. That ended up being too soon (there's no way I'll be done in 6 days), so meh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2008 06:29AM by AerialX.
November 09, 2008 09:37AM
AerialX
I was actually planning on releasing my own game for the competition (I just want a USB Gecko D: ), but I wasn't "saving it up" for the contest.

The Link doesn't work for me.
November 09, 2008 10:17AM
AerialX
Although I know you've seen this already... orly?
Cool, I hadn't seen this, looks ace!

AerialX
whodares
Everybody's interests are different.
Be that as it may, it's true that there aren't that many original games out there yet. From a gaming perspective, besides ports and emulators, there are only a handful of games they'd want to play.
Maybe there aren't that many original games, but rather than just saying "Hey, we've not got any games here" maybe they could start making one. Maybe I'm overreacting. Even if you (not you specifically, just general) don't know how to code, do graphics, or compose music, there's nothing stopping you from writing a design document and asking. Okay, that's not guarenteed to get help, but it's pro-active...

AerialX
I was actually planning on releasing my own game for the competition (I just want a USB Gecko D: ), but I wasn't "saving it up" for the contest. I was already working on it when the contest was announced and figured that it'd be nice to commit to a concrete due date. That ended up being too soon (there's no way I'll be done in 6 days), so meh.
That link didn't work for me :-(
November 09, 2008 03:57PM
I think we all personally need to just stop talk of "there isn't much homebrew being written that fits for me" talk. Lets go pro-active and support those of the community willing to write the software wether you are wanting that program or it doesn't matter to you, you should still have the same attitude.
November 09, 2008 08:14PM
daniel_c_w
The Link doesn't work for me.
whodares
That link didn't work for me :-(
Yeah my (free) host sucks horribly. Well there's a screenshot (pretty outdated though, a month or two old) hosted externally. My site's back up for the time being, though.

I do agree that it's not very productive to whine about the lack of games and that people should do something proactive. I guess I'm just trying to say that you should expect people to whine :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2008 09:00PM by AerialX.
November 09, 2008 09:37PM
@AerialX:
Screenshot looks good. What's the objective of the game?

Yeah, people always moan. Maybe I should just start ignoring the posts instead of getting peeved. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login