Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gamasutra Article may shed light on Nintendo's thinking of homebrew

Posted by Ksmiler 
Gamasutra Article may shed light on Nintendo's thinking of homebrew
May 14, 2009 06:05AM
[www.gamasutra.com]

This an article on DS brew/piracy and how Nintendo will be trying to stop it... but to me the paragraph which was most interesting was...

Gamasutra & Andrew Mclennan
A former game developer himself, Mclennan said that laws are not necessarily the answer to piracy. Asked if R4 cards should be banned in other countries other than Japan, he answered, “Yes and no. I can sympathize in one respect with people that like to do homebrew games, although that’s a very small minority of people who use these cards. Our stuff will not stop anyone from using homebrew games.”

Thinking out of the box here, but will Nintendo have the same view for GC/Wiibrew stuff?
With foresight of DSibrew also, will Nintendo be more supportive and define a difference between homebrew and piracy? (Can be applied to Wii stuff too, plx dont move me :D)

...or am I crazy and jumping the gun in terms of thinking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 02:02PM by Ksmiler.
Re: Gamasutra Article may shed light on Nintendo's thinking of homebrew
May 20, 2009 09:21PM
Speaking of something like that, I was reading one edition of "PC World" magazine, and there was an article about the R4 NDS flashcart. Nintendo and fifty-four other companies sued them for "chances of piracy being used". Then the writer of the article was ranting about how homebrew wasn't the enemy, but piracy is. Unfortunatly, many emulators have a source code somewhere, and can, and will be converted to other hardware uses. It has been done for the iTouch, NDS, digital cameras*, et cetera.
In otherwords, MANY game developers nowadays get an early start by designing homebrew games.

*Yes, I have seen DOOM ported to one of these things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login