Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PS2 Emulator for Wii.

Posted by GoldenAlchemist 
PS2 Emulator for Wii.
September 09, 2008 03:16AM
Is this doable? I know PCSX2 is open source but can the Wii possibly be able to handle a PS2 emu and game?
Re: PS2 Emulator for Wii.
September 09, 2008 03:02PM
Often emulators need double the CPU to complete the task of the device they emulate.
September 09, 2008 10:56PM
I knew it was a stretch. But it never hurts to ask. :p
September 09, 2008 11:07PM
Well the Wii's processor is approximately double the PS2's... Dykam's statement doesn't rule it out. But I don't actually know what kind of processing power it would take... If you want to put things into perspective, maybe look at how Wii64 (mupen port) lags when emulating N64. Maybe it can be done, maybe not; you'd have to look up the performance of the PS2 emulators and see how it might compare on the Wii.

Not to mention needing people with the skills to port such a program.
September 09, 2008 11:46PM
Bottom line: don't expect a PS2 emulator to come out in the next few years.
September 11, 2008 11:48AM
Well I really think it would be cool the see a ps2 emulator play kingdom hearts and such on Wii but as you people have said i needs some good coders to do so I'm sure there is a ps2 emu already made that can be ported to Wii.
September 12, 2008 01:18AM
Link_of_Hyrule
Well I really think it would be cool the see a ps2 emulator play kingdom hearts and such on Wii but as you people have said i needs some good coders to do so I'm sure there is a ps2 emu already made that can be ported to Wii.

Well PCSX2 is the only one I know of with an open source code. I heard that it functions better than the other PS2 emus. I haven't tried it for myself because my PC is a 500 dollar piece of junk.

At the very least I'd like to see emulators for DS and PSX on Wii. The PS2 emulator was a good idea I decided to ask about.
September 12, 2008 06:19AM
Well if there is an open source emulator available and people willing to port it then hey its possible same thing is basically happening for the psx emulator the source code is being made to work on the Wii. The community just lacks people that are able to code or willing to code what people want because most people who can code good have a job coding and don't have time to make free stuff for people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2008 06:20AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
September 13, 2008 02:28AM
Potential problem: some PS2 games are on CD-ROM; the Wii can only read DVD. It's not a big problem, because you can use ISOs or an external drive, but it kinda kills the effect. :P (Being able to stick an actual PS2 disc in your Wii and play it would be pretty awesome.)
September 13, 2008 06:57AM
HyperHacker
Potential problem: some PS2 games are on CD-ROM; the Wii can only read DVD. It's not a big problem, because you can use ISOs or an external drive, but it kinda kills the effect. :P (Being able to stick an actual PS2 disc in your Wii and play it would be pretty awesome.)

What PS2 game are you looking at? All my Playstation 2 games say DVD-ROM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 06:59AM by GoldenAlchemist.
September 13, 2008 05:09PM
GoldenAlchemist: [en.wikipedia.org]
September 13, 2008 09:40PM
I have not seen a ps2 emulator for any system except high-end PC s, so I would saty no to a ps2 emulator on wii. I do think a Play station 1 emulator would be possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 09:44PM by BEan.
September 14, 2008 05:28AM
I remember hearing the existing PS2 emulators are still far from complete, and thus unoptimized. I also don't know whether they're using HLE.
September 14, 2008 03:54PM
First things first:
Get PSX emulator.
The PSX is built on a 32 bit platform. The N64 is built on a 64 bit platform. In other words, the N64 is twice as powerful as the PSX. We already have a crappy N64 emulator that runs at half speed(also, I hear that the next version of Wii64 is already complete and has full framerate but the devs are to lazy to release it), so we can easily have a PSX emulator at full speed.
September 14, 2008 11:05PM
strongfan
First things first:
Get PSX emulator.
The PSX is built on a 32 bit platform. The N64 is built on a 64 bit platform. In other words, the N64 is twice as powerful as the PSX. We already have a crappy N64 emulator that runs at half speed(also, I hear that the next version of Wii64 is already complete and has full framerate but the devs are to lazy to release it), so we can easily have a PSX emulator at full speed.

Woohoo good working Wii64. And if it is able to use Gameshark codes it will be perfect. :D

And a PSX emulator is a must have. And it should be able to use codebreaker codes without the use of an external application like PEC like the emulators for PC have.
September 15, 2008 01:20AM
strongfan
The PSX is built on a 32 bit platform. The N64 is built on a 64 bit platform. In other words, the N64 is twice as powerful as the PSX.

Is my sarcasm detector broken?
September 15, 2008 10:41PM
no sarcasm here.
EDIT: what type of disk does the PSX use? CD or DVD? ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2008 10:51PM by strongfan.
September 15, 2008 11:43PM
strongfan
no sarcasm here.
EDIT: what type of disk does the PSX use? CD or DVD? ?

CD

But if a PSX emulator is released I hope it will be able to load the game from the SD card.
September 16, 2008 12:28AM
too bad the only means of doing that is piracy and/or will lead to piracy...
September 16, 2008 12:55AM
what are you talking about?

A psx emulator for wii already exists.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.