Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PS2 Emulator for Wii.

Posted by GoldenAlchemist 
Re: PS2 Emulator for Wii.
September 28, 2008 11:10AM
GoldenAlchemist
Its for a grip that is sold for the classic controller.
lol, that makes more sense than what I was thinking it was for! belt clips?! As if some nerd is going to attach one of them to his/her belt and walk down the street.... hahahaha....
September 28, 2008 01:27PM
My bad, I thought that was an actual button. Also you could use HOME on the attatched wiimote to exit. So, its really only one button short. Furthermore, the best ps2 emulator right now is pcsx2 which can run games at 30-40 fps on the most top of the line pcs. So don't expect a console version to show up for quite some time.
September 29, 2008 03:33AM
Yes, but it'd be kind of annoying to have to use the Wiimote along with the classic controller, you'd need to put one down to use the other and putting down the controller for a second can get you killed in a lot of games
September 29, 2008 09:06AM
Lots of misconceptions here.

First off, a CPU being 64 bit does not automatically make it more powerful than a 32 bit CPU. It just means it can work on bigger numbers and address a larger amount of RAM(To over-simplify it a bit).

Second, the Wii does not have the power to do PS2 emulation. It's barely double a GC, which wasn't that much more powerful than the PS2. Not only that, but the PS2's weird ass architecture makes it harder to emulate. It takes a huge difference in power to emulate one system on another/on a PC. A huge difference. HLE makes a big difference, but you still need a much, much more powerful system.

The kind of emulation you use also effects how much power is needed. The more accurate your emulation is, the higher the system requirements are. The more hacky/less accurate the emulation, the less power needed. Why go for accurate emulation, then? Well, there are reasons, such as making sure everything actually works. Hacky and or less accurate emulation can have trouble with some stuff, like not being compatible enough, having trouble displaying stuff, working just fine in one game and not at all in another. Sound is hit very hard by this and the fact that most people don't notice the differences(Either because they are minor or because the games that are effected aren't played very often, or by people who would know the difference).

That's not to say hacky emulation is evil and must be stopped, but it does have it's drawbacks. A system like the Wii would have to use hacky emulation for PSX and N64. Nothing wrong with that, and it gets most games working just fine. That pretty much means PS2 emulation just isn't possible at a reasonable speed, though. I'd be shocked if you could get 20 FPS in an actual game, or one that wasn't insanely simple, such as PaRappa the Rapper 2(I almost forgot the second p in Rapper while typing this. Changes the meaning entirely!).

There's also the fact that the Classic controller does not have analog buttons. Now, I do not know if that can be simulated in software or not, or is a software trick period, but if it can't be done in software, that basically cuts off many games from ever working right on the system, if at all. I know from personal experience that if you plug a Dualshock 1 into the PS2 and turn on a Pressure Sensitive game, the game will ignore all input. It just won't work.

Also, it's not that hard to find non-scratched up to the point of being unusable PS1 games.
September 30, 2008 05:36AM
Ok Mr. LongAsHellPost, ever looked in the PS1 bin in a Game Stop, looks more like a trash bin than a game bin. Also I was mainly referring to copies of rare games like Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden, and Suikoden II which are extremely difficult to get ahold of and a decent copy of without paying 100 dollars for something that would cost 20 dollars tops if it was still commercially sold.

And even though the Classic Controller and whatnot lacks an analog button there are converters for the GameCube that let you use controllers for other systems in place of the Gamecube controller. Put the converter in the GC Controller slot of the Wii and plug in your PS2 controller and that little problem is solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 05:44AM by GoldenAlchemist.
September 30, 2008 08:36AM
There's more to the PS1 library than RPGs, you know.

My favorite genre, yes, but there's plenty of not that expensive games for it that are wonderful. Here are some examples that all sell for well below their price when they were first released back in the day:

[shop.ebay.com]

[shop.ebay.com]

[video-games.shop.ebay.com]

Also, FF7 is most certainly not rare. It's just in massive demand, especially after the various FF7 sequels/prequels were announced and/or released. Millions of copies of the game exist in it's PS1 form. It's the best selling PS1 game, in fact. [en.wikipedia.org]

The reason the games you listed(Aside from FF7) are so expensive? Old RPGs that are well remembered are in high demand always.

About the converter. Yes, those exist. However, they'd have to be built to specifically support both the R/L3 buttons and the pressure sensitive buttons. I imagine you can't find a GC compatible one(A Wii compatible one might exist, I wouldn't know) that does that. After all, why make a converter that supports buttons that don't exist for the system it's compatible for? If I'm wrong about that, please correct me. :) Also, building an emulator that can only run using a controller converter would be foolish at best.

I have to ask, why are you taking such a tone with me? I've been rather polite here. Perhaps a little too direct(A character flaw, I admit), but I'm not trying to insult anyone here. :(

Edit: Forgot a sentence. Boy, that was stupid. -_-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 08:37AM by I.S.T..
September 30, 2008 09:08AM
How can I take a tone when I'm typing?

Also no offense intended, I normally just act this way to get laughs out of people, and usually it works.
September 30, 2008 11:19PM
GoldenAlchemist
How can I take a tone when I'm typing?

Also no offense intended, I normally just act this way to get laughs out of people, and usually it works.

Ah, I misunderstood then. I apologize.
May 06, 2009 12:40AM
if they do come out with a ps2 emulator for the Wii... who knows whats next?
we could get lunix running on the Wii then run the emulator from there... That just may work...

Ps. any body know of any news of kingdom hearts on the wii? only game im able to play is the Chain of Memory's for the GBA.
May 06, 2009 01:09AM
aujakev
if they do come out with a ps2 emulator for the Wii... who knows whats next?
we could get lunix running on the Wii then run the emulator from there... That just may work...
rofl. Did you read through topic or just the title?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 01:09AM by Arikado.
May 13, 2009 11:16PM
@Arikado

the whole dam thing and any thing is posable!!!!!
May 14, 2009 05:52PM
"Anything is posable"

Say cheese!!! ***FLASH***
May 17, 2009 11:36AM
aujakev
@Arikado

I could create a PS2 emulator for the Atari 2600.

Is it possible? Yes! (The 2600 is a Turing machine.)

Is it feasible? Will it ever be worth a fiftieth of a darn? No!
May 18, 2009 12:35AM
Even if we could, it would be extremely laggy. Look at a Nintendo DS emulator running on a regular computer! I'm sure the PS2 would run slower than that. However, there are PS2 emulators out there, but your going to want to have the actual games, since they take up gigabytes of space.
May 18, 2009 02:07PM
WikiFSX
aujakev
@Arikado

Go on then, prove it.
May 18, 2009 05:48PM
Pleng
WikiFSX
aujakev
@Arikado

Go on then, prove it.

We all know, that it is impossible (on a not modified 2600).

The important point is:
Pleng
Is it feasible? Will it ever be worth a fiftieth of a darn? No!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 05:48PM by daniel_c_w.
May 19, 2009 06:50PM
Is this thread really discussing about emulating PS2s on a Atari?

Wow, I love this place =P
May 19, 2009 10:51PM
I was just saying dont be so negative, god people now-a days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 10:52PM by aujakev.
May 19, 2009 10:57PM
I have Windows 95 running on my wii you cant tell me that was imposable! (Dos box)

the ps2 emulator would just take a long time to program, and test and release.... A Really Long Time....

Think what you want, but I think it's possible!

also, What the Hell does a Atari have to do with the Emulation of a PS2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 06:09PM by aujakev.
May 19, 2009 11:07PM
aujakev
I have Windows 95 running on my wii you cant tell me that was imposable! it would just take a long time to program, and test and release.... A Really Long Time....
No, that is impossible because Windows is closed source.

aujakev
Think what you want, but I think it's possable!

also, What the Hell does a Atari have to do with the Emulation of a PS2?
Two perfect examples demonstrating your chronic inability to read through the posts in the topic before you spout off nonsense.

Now, aujakev, please stop posting nonsense in this topic or it will be locked on account of you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 05:43PM by Arikado.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.