Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One DSi Topic to rule them all

Posted by Arikado 
Re: One DSi Topic to rule them all
June 20, 2009 11:43PM
I am unable to reach the forums, is anyone else having this problem?
If so, I would be more than happy to host the forums.

Just gimme a suggestion on what software to use.
June 21, 2009 12:06AM
[dsiforums.podtube.us]

You mean those? They work fine at the moment.
June 21, 2009 01:14AM
SifJar
Yeah, and hex editing it won't help I'm afraid. Even if you just copy it to a computer and back to a DSi, apparently the DSi won't show it. Can't confirm this myself as I don't have a DSi, but I read that at a forum. Was GBAFail though, so who knows... But I'm pretty sure if you open it in paint, and close it without even saving, it'll be unviewable on DSi
That doesn't make sense. Just copying it to and from your computer wouldn't do anything to the data contained in the file. So how would the DSi know?

If you SAVED the picture in paint, that would change the DSi made header which would make sense why it wouldn't open in a DSi. Just opening it in paint and closing paint shouldn't do anything though since you're not saving changing any data, more or specifically changing the DSi made header.

As far as hex editing goes, as long as you don't edit the DSi made header the DSi should still be able to read the file. So the goal would be to corrupt the data in the middle of the file. (Maybe making the size of the file bigger than the DSis screen?)

(Also, while I'm saying header, theres probably some DSi specific footer too)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 01:15AM by Arikado.
June 21, 2009 01:28AM
@Zack: Yep, it just keeps trying to connect and never gets there.
June 21, 2009 01:31AM
Arikado
SifJar
Even if you just copy it to a computer and back to a DSi, apparently the DSi won't show it.
That doesn't make sense. Just copying it to and from your computer wouldn't do anything to the data contained in the file. So how would the DSi know?

I guess he means: copy it to a different DSi - not the same one.

SifJar
Was GBAFail though, so who knows...
Watch that name :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 01:33AM by daniel_c_w.
June 21, 2009 01:49AM
wiiguy
That's really odd... I can connect perfectly, is anybody else having this problem?

P.S. I don't have the server in my house, so it's not the fact that I own the site, either.
June 21, 2009 01:29PM
Hmm, i dunno, i just repeated what i read on GBAFail, so it;s probably a load of crap, knowing some of the idiots there. although the DS section generally isn't as bad as the Wii section actually.

EDIT: I downloaded the sample pic from DSiBrew.org, and decided to play about with it. I opened it in paint and saved it without doing anything, and then used a hex editor to compare the files. What I found is that, apart from about a line and a half at the start and about a dozen random values, it was completely different. What's more, the version I had saved in Paint was missing a large section at the end which was present in the DSi one. I'm not sure what this means, but maybe that's what we need to be able to put pictures on? that bit at the end? although the fact that almost every value in the file was different suggests that the DSi saves them differently or something. I'd look into it more and experiment, but I don't have a DSi, so can't really experiment much. Maybe if I get a DSi I'll be able to do something, but probably not, and I won't be buying a DSi, so the only options are winning one or someone deciding to give me one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 02:14PM by SifJar.
June 21, 2009 03:27PM
That means that (AFAIK at least) that like I've been suggesting, theres a DSi specific header and footer that the tell the DSi the file is safe to open. If either of these two pieces of data are changed, the DSi will be able to know not to open the file. To corrupt the file to crash the DSi, we'll need to play around with the stuff in between the DSi made header and footer (AKA the body of the file).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 03:27PM by Arikado.
June 21, 2009 04:39PM
Yes, but the entire body is different, except for a few values, meaning it's saved differently I believe, meaning we have no idea how large the header is. Unless...I may have an idea, I'll go try something, and report back.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 05:02PM by SifJar.
June 21, 2009 06:36PM
What was your idea?
June 21, 2009 07:30PM
I was thinking, maybe each image had the same body, just in different places, different sized headers or something, but it appears not.
June 21, 2009 07:42PM
Oh, OK.
June 21, 2009 08:12PM
SifJar
EDIT: I downloaded the sample pic from DSiBrew.org, and decided to play about with it. I opened it in paint and saved it without doing anything,

Let me reiterate that:
You openend the file in paint, and it looked complete?
Then you clicked save as?

If that's the case, it is no wonder, that the file data looks different, because Paint will compress the umcompresed image with it's own settings. And there are a lot of ways to compress an image in JPEG
June 21, 2009 08:49PM
What level of compression does the DSi use, anyways?
June 22, 2009 07:10PM
How can I get it saved in the same level of compression as the DSi using a PC program? I figured it was this by the way, or a different type of jpg (JFIF or something, I flicked through a wikipedia page, and I think the DSi is JFIF, dunno what paint uses)
June 22, 2009 08:57PM
I think it's just a header that makes it readable by the DSi, that's all.
June 22, 2009 09:03PM
Zack
Quote:
wiiguy
That's really odd... I can connect perfectly, is anybody else having this problem?

P.S. I don't have the server in my house, so it's not the fact that I own the site, either.

I can connect fine.
But the search field doesn't work. :/
June 22, 2009 09:23PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Zack
Quote:
wiiguy

I can connect fine.
But the search field doesn't work. :/

Eh, nothing I can do about that, sorry. I guess I could set up a Google Search, though...
June 22, 2009 09:28PM
SifJar
How can I get it saved in the same level of compression as the DSi using a PC program? I figured it was this by the way, or a different type of jpg (JFIF or something, I flicked through a wikipedia page, and I think the DSi is JFIF, dunno what paint uses)
You'll probably need to write a custom program for PC to recreate the compression the DSi uses. I'm assuming its original.
June 22, 2009 09:34PM
I doubt it, because if it uses an original form of compression, how can normal programs like Paint read it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login