Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One DSi Topic to rule them all

Posted by Arikado 
Re: One DSi Topic to rule them all
June 22, 2009 10:12PM
Zack
I doubt it, because if it uses an original form of compression, how can normal programs like Paint read it?
Good point. I'm returning to assuming this is merely some header/footer specific code that only the DSi cares about and other programs ignore.
June 22, 2009 10:41PM
Yes, I did see that in an article somewhere.
June 22, 2009 11:08PM
Zack
I doubt it, because if it uses an original form of compression, how can normal programs like Paint read it?

JPEG only defines how the imags is decompressed.

There can be variuos ways to comprtess an image in a form, that is a JPEG.

So please do not expect 2 binary datasets to be identical, if they can be rendered to the same image.
June 22, 2009 11:40PM
Yes, but is there anyway I can save an image on computer in same compression as DSi? If so, it'll be much easier to find DSi specific header and footer.
June 24, 2009 05:15PM
Well. You can add headers to image files without affecting the image.
Look at 1Password's image licenses, they were fail, but it had a special header at the end of the file that image editors would strip.
June 24, 2009 05:58PM
That's got nothing to do with what I or anyone else asked. I just want to know, is there a way to save an image on a computer at the same compression as on DSi?
June 24, 2009 08:43PM
Unless you cann guess the parameters and algorithms the DSi uses, I wood say the answer is no.

I do not think knowing the exact compression algorithm is important, though.
June 24, 2009 09:13PM
Hmm, are you sure? it wouldn't use a standard compression algorithm? because surely if it uses a completely custom one they wouldn't be viewable on pc? or am i just an idiot? lol
June 25, 2009 12:14AM
Let me try to put it this way: JPEG is a language, like english.
And now try to explain a picture in english.
I hope it is obvious, that there are a lot of ways to describe the same picture, it would propably require thousnads of words, and there are thousands of ways to arrange this words, and propably thousands of other words you could have used instead.

EDIT: I hate it to use analogies :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 12:15AM by daniel_c_w.
June 25, 2009 12:29AM
I must be blind today, I can't find the sample picture on DSiBrew.
Would somebody post a link to it, please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 12:29AM by daniel_c_w.
June 25, 2009 12:47AM
June 25, 2009 02:18AM
Thanks!
June 25, 2009 03:15AM
Could somebody try, if he can copy this picture on his DSi and open it there?

[todeszug.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 12:06AM by daniel_c_w.
June 26, 2009 05:15AM
Does nobody here have a DSi?
June 26, 2009 06:06AM
My brother does... but I shouldn't steal it, should I? heh heh
June 26, 2009 07:30AM
I just tried it - it didn't work. It shows a grey image with a question mark, and the text "Cannot display image".
June 26, 2009 07:48AM
Thanks, I will try to create another one
June 26, 2009 09:33AM
I'm guessing you used the image from the link to DSiBrew to make that? I tried copying that to my card and it worked, so transfering images between DSis appears to be possible. I did a right-click>properties>details(on windows vista) on the one you put up and the one from DSiBrew, and found some differences you may want to look at

Under the Origin catagory, the entry for "Program name" on the DSiBrew image that worked for me is "EINH". Its blank on yours.

Under the Image catagory, "Color representation" on the DSiBrew Image is "sRGB". Its blank on yours.

Under Camera, the "Camera maker" is "Nintendo" and the "Camera model" is "NintendoDS" on the original. Yours are "Nintend" and "NintendoD".

Under Advanced Photo, "EXIF version" is "0220" on the original, and blank on yours.

Hope this helps.
June 26, 2009 07:25PM
I have an idea. Someone try downloading the WiiBrew sample image, and open it in a hex editor and change one or two values in the middle. then see if it opens. if that works, try adding a value or two, see if you can make it crash. then MAYBE there could be a buffer overflow there. But more likely probably not.
June 26, 2009 08:32PM
jotokun
Under the Image catagory, "Color representation" on the DSiBrew Image is "sRGB". Its blank on yours.

Under Camera, the "Camera maker" is "Nintendo" and the "Camera model" is "NintendoDS" on the original. Yours are "Nintend" and "NintendoD".

Thanks, should have payed more attention there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login