Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random Question

Posted by WaxyPumpkin72 
Random Question
June 29, 2009 11:00PM
Okay, this is really random, but how do you take a picture of your desktop? Is there some sort of keyboard command? On a Mac, you press command/shift/3, but how do you do it on a PC (if there is a way at all :P)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 11:00PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Re: Random Question
June 29, 2009 11:06PM
press the print screen button. takes a screenshot anywhere. (btw if you're on a mac using boot camp, print screen is f13 on mac keyboard). Then just open an image editing program and click paste or ctrl+v to paste the screenshot you just took

Oh, and could you try and put a more descriptive title rather than "random question" something like "screenshoting on windows" or the like. I'd say people are more likely to take the time to look at a thread with an informative title, I know I am ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 11:08PM by SifJar.
June 29, 2009 11:08PM
Okay, thanks. No, i'm not using boot camp, i have an iMac and a PC with Vista sitting next to eachother on a desk. :P

Edit:
SifJar
Oh, and could you try and put a more descriptive title rather than "random question" something like "screenshoting on windows" or the like. I'd say people are more likely to take the time to look at a thread with an informative title, I know I am ;)

Okay. I'll try harder. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 11:09PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 29, 2009 11:09PM
ok just thought cause you mentioned mac you may be using it in boot camp.
June 29, 2009 11:10PM
Ya, its all good. :)
June 30, 2009 01:23AM
Alt+PrtScn takes a screenshot of the active window.
June 30, 2009 01:13PM
yes. print screen takes whole screen, alt+print screen just the active window. thanks for pointing that out.
June 30, 2009 03:33PM
Also, you need to right-click and then paste into your favorite image editor after wards.
June 30, 2009 05:14PM
yeah i said that. ctrl+v also works.
June 30, 2009 08:04PM
Yeah, thanks, except i just realized my keyboard doesn't have a PrintScreen function. Oh well. :(
June 30, 2009 11:58PM
hmm, that's odd. if you really need to take a screenshot, you could use an AutoHotKey script to re-map the key. If you dont have AutoHotKey, I'll write a script and compile it into an exe for you, I'll do that tomorrow, have to go to bed now ;)
July 01, 2009 12:00AM
ooh, thanks, Siffy! =D
July 01, 2009 12:09AM
No probs. Shouldnt take long, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow.
July 01, 2009 12:21AM
SifJar, I believe you deserve a batch of some chocolate chip cookies!!! Here they are, fresh out of the oven!!

(::) (::) (::) (::) (::)

Enjoy!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 12:22AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 01, 2009 06:20AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Yeah, thanks, except i just realized my keyboard doesn't have a PrintScreen function. Oh well. :(

What?
What does your keyboard look like?
I almost fail to believe that.
July 01, 2009 07:35AM
Yep. I was wrong. I just didn't see it, because i'm an idiot! (That rhymes! :P)
July 01, 2009 10:00AM
What? But I wrote the script!! It took like, 3 seconds. Well, that's time I'll never see again. ;)
July 01, 2009 07:57PM
LOL, i'm sorry. I was about to go somewhere, and i decided to check the keyboard before i left ( i had my suspicions that i was probably wrong. :P) and i saw the print screen button. I was about to notify you about it, but then i had to leave, so i said it as soon as i got back. sorry! It is kinda funny though.... :D
July 01, 2009 11:08PM
no worries, it took about 3 seconds to right. literally. all i had to type was

F4::PrintScreen

And that was it done. That remapped PrintScreen to F4. Then I could just right-click the file and click compile, and I'd be done. I didn't compile it though, because I saw your comment before I did so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login