Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Wii no longer reads discs. [SOLVED! A Happy Ending!]

Posted by Sonicdude41 
My Wii no longer reads discs. [SOLVED! A Happy Ending!]
July 04, 2009 04:51AM
Here's the story. My little brother was playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl when all of a sudden, the "An error has occurred" screen popped up. I thought nothing of it, and did as it told me to do.

So I restart the Wii, and everything seems fine and dandy. I went to the Disc Channel and inserted the SSBB disc. I listened carefully to the disc drive's noises. After inserting the disc, I noticed that instead of loading the disc normally, it made clicking noises, as though it was "struggling" to read it. I then proceeded to try out other games (including GameCube games) that I owned. None of them worked.

If it's worth mentioning, this exact problem has occurred with my cousin's Wii.

I have the HBC and DVDx installed. I know it wasn't DVDx or the HBC that caused it, because my cousin doesn't have any homebrew installed. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 04:38AM by Sonicdude41.
Re: My Wii no longer reads discs.
July 04, 2009 04:57AM
These "clicking" noises that you're hearing may just mean you have a corrupted disc drive. You'd probably have to send it to nintendo first. But before you do, try launching it through gecko os or LibWiiGameLoad. What are your results?

You could also try getting one of those disc drive cleaners. I'm pretty sure they sell them at gaming stores.
July 04, 2009 04:59AM
I was considering trying Gecko OS and LibWiiGameLoad. I haven't done it yet, and I will attempt those options later.

If those don't work, I will try uninstalling DVDx and see if that does anything.
July 04, 2009 05:00AM
Hmm, i doubt that will help, but you can if you want to....
July 04, 2009 05:21AM
It means you have a dirty disc drive. Nintendo will clean it for free.
July 04, 2009 07:03AM
Apparently Brawl screwed up alot of drives due to it being on a DLDVD (or so they claim).
(Disk Drive Crash)
(First site I found with a repair form and data about the "crashing" drives.)
My friend had this issue and sent his in (with HBC still intact)(and it returned not updated and still with HBC)
July 04, 2009 07:05AM
Well, i used to have issues running brawl, but i don't really anymore. It usually wouldn't read it if i launched it through the disc channel. I had to eject and reinsert it like 3 or 4 times before it loaded.
July 05, 2009 04:57PM
Okay, I've called Nintendo, and they said it's likely a problem with my Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. My Wii has no warranty left, and surprisingly, they said they would repair it for free!

I just uninstalled DVDx and deleted the HBC. I'm concerned that they'll find the ticket to the HBC, since I deleted via the Wii System Settings Menu. Is there anything I should do, or did it delete the ticket?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 04:58PM by Sonicdude41.
July 05, 2009 06:17PM
Again, my friend sent his in with homebrew channel still installed and it came back still on there.
I have heard of people with chipped wiis coming back and they took the chip out and sent it back with the wii...
Whats's the worst thing they can do? update you to 4.0 and take it off? big deal put it back on...
With my experience they do not change the state of the system, if they do take a NAND backup before you send it in and then restore it when you get it back...
July 05, 2009 06:38PM
Sonicdude41
Okay, I've called Nintendo, and they said it's likely a problem with my Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. My Wii has no warranty left, and surprisingly, they said they would repair it for free!

I just uninstalled DVDx and deleted the HBC. I'm concerned that they'll find the ticket to the HBC, since I deleted via the Wii System Settings Menu. Is there anything I should do, or did it delete the ticket?
You could use any title deleter to delete the ticket.

Edit: In case you do use any title deleter, the title for the HBC is HAXX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 06:38PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 05, 2009 08:22PM
ninjafish1990
Again, my friend sent his in with homebrew channel still installed and it came back still on there.
I have heard of people with chipped wiis coming back and they took the chip out and sent it back with the wii...
Whats's the worst thing they can do? update you to 4.0 and take it off? big deal put it back on...
With my experience they do not change the state of the system, if they do take a NAND backup before you send it in and then restore it when you get it back...

Nintendo has been getting more harsh again homebrew on its system. Would you want to take that risk right now of them charging you ridiculous amounts of money for a free repair? I would personally agree to use AnyTitleDeleter and clear out HBC and DVDx. Even if Nintendo has been nice in the past about it all, it doesn't mean they won't get ignorant.
July 05, 2009 09:24PM
pinball Wizard
ninjafish1990

Nintendo has been getting more harsh again homebrew on its system. Would you want to take that risk right now of them charging you ridiculous amounts of money for a free repair? I would personally agree to use AnyTitleDeleter and clear out HBC and DVDx. Even if Nintendo has been nice in the past about it all, it doesn't mean they won't get ignorant.

That's the exact reason why I decided to uninstall them. I'm not going to let this chance slip past me, especially when my Wii has gone out of warranty.
July 10, 2009 12:54AM
Okay, the label has come in. I'm preparing everything that's needed to get ready for shipping.

Anyone know what the ticket is for DVDx and the HBC? I will be sure to delete them through AnyTitle Deleter before I ship it off.
July 10, 2009 01:28AM
The HBC ID is HAXX. I'm not sure about DVDx, though....
July 10, 2009 01:55AM
Okay, I just finished with AnyTitle Deleter, but I found no signs of the HAXX ticket.

I noticed that when loading AnyTitle, after it was informing the Wii it was God (lol), it began to try and delete a ticket (it failed, btw). What was it that it was trying to delete?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 02:00AM by Sonicdude41.
July 10, 2009 04:02PM
WaxyPumpkin72
The HBC ID is HAXX. I'm not sure about DVDx, though....
DVDx's ID is... DVDX look in ALL the folders

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 04:03PM by metroid_maniac.
July 18, 2009 01:18AM
Well, I got my Wii back today! It turns out they just replaced the disc drive (that's a given). It's a LOT less noisier than before, so that's a plus. Also, they did NOT update the Wii to 4.0 or 4.1, so that's an even bigger plus, which means I can reinstall the HBC!

Originally, I sent my Wii in without the GC cover (the hinges had broken off). Guess what? Nintendo was nice enough to take notice and provide me with a new one! =D

Overall, I have to say TWO thumbs up to Nintendo's Customer Service! =D
July 18, 2009 03:23AM
Thats great! I'm thrilled for you :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login