Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

YouTube, Bannerbomb, copyright claim by Nintendo

Posted by bg4545 
YouTube, Bannerbomb, copyright claim by Nintendo
July 09, 2009 07:25PM
I recieved a notice today that one of my YouTube videos was taken down due to a copyright claim by Nintendo.
The video was just a demonstration of using bannerbomb and loadmii to run emulators. So I got to wondering, why would Nintendo want to take down my bannerbomb video? There's a whole lot of other stuff on YouTube that they should worry about... I haven't checked if any other bannerbomb videos are still up, but mine has been removed and I don't see why.
In the video I run bannerbomb, use loadmii to run the Atari2600 emulator. I play E.T., pacman, and Spiderman. Reset my Wii (because of the Wii remote freezing bug) and load vbagx and play Mario Kart Super Circuit.

Also, on a side note, I will be gone for the next 3 days. I may or may not be connected to the Internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 07:37PM by bg4545.
Re: YouTube, Bannerbomb, copyright claim by Nintendo
July 09, 2009 07:28PM
There are hundreds of youtube video tutorials that explain how to use bannerbomb. That wouldn't make any sense for them to only take you down.....I'd have to say its because of the VBAGx emulation. I don't know, though.....

Edit: You have over 900 posts. Congratulations! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 07:29PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 09, 2009 07:36PM
I just checked and the original BaNNeRBoMB video was also removed, but there are some still up.

And hey I didn't even notice... 905!
July 09, 2009 07:42PM
bg4545
I just checked and the original BaNNeRBoMB video was also removed, but there are some still up.

What the heck? Thats retarded! Whats wrong with nintendo!? We're not doing anthing wrong! How can they do that?! I'm mad.....!!!
July 09, 2009 07:45PM
I don't know... and it's not like it's a tutorial on running warez like so many other failed YouTube videos
July 09, 2009 07:46PM
Seriously, this is dumb. There're buttloads of videos on "How to run backups,How to install free wiiware/VC, how to install softmii, how to fail!!!!". How come they're not doing anything about that!! :(
July 09, 2009 08:10PM
For your video, I'd say its the emulator and running Mario Kart Super Circuit, which is a Nintendo game. But I see no reason for them to remove the original video. It in no way violates copyright. And why arent they targetting warez tutorials over this sort of thing?
July 09, 2009 08:11PM
Yep, I completely agree with you, SifJar. As I stated before, I also believe it was because of the emulation, but for some reason they don't care about any of the other warez tuts on youtube. Its dumb.
July 09, 2009 08:15PM
I assume they will eventually get round to trying to get rid of them as well, but there will be more going up than they can take down, and surely those should have been the primary targets, not videos such as the bannerbomb video.
July 09, 2009 09:03PM
bg4545
due to a copyright claim by Nintendo.

Really?

Did it really say Nintendo? Which Nintendo?
July 09, 2009 11:32PM
Well they can't do anything about warez tutorials because they don't own copyright on the software. It does seem somewhat retarded and picky that they would care about you displaying an old N64 game.

If they target videos that show only bannerbomb then comex needs to contact an attorney as he's the only one with the power to have it taken off.

Nice to know that Nintendo are using the revenue from Wii sales to employ someone to do this.
July 09, 2009 11:56PM
scanff
Well they can't do anything about warez tutorials because they don't own copyright on the software. It does seem somewhat retarded and picky that they would care about you displaying an old N64 game.

If they target videos that show only bannerbomb then comex needs to contact an attorney as he's the only one with the power to have it taken off.

Nice to know that Nintendo are using the revenue from Wii sales to employ someone to do this.

Its a snes game actually. and since when did nintendo not own the copyright on wii games, vc games and wiiware games? mhmm, i thought so.

and also are you saying that comex should be taking action against Nintendo? i dont think that will work.
July 10, 2009 12:15AM
SifJar
scanff

Its a snes game actually. and since when did nintendo not own the copyright on wii games, vc games and wiiware games? mhmm, i thought so.

and also are you saying that comex should be taking action against Nintendo? i dont think that will work.

My point was they can't do anything about the videos that just show homebrew as they don't own any copyright. As for Licensed Nintendo games I'm sure there's something in the original verbiage that gives them that right even if a third party developed the game.

I was saying that in theory if I made a video that shows the ONLY bannerbomb then homebrew channel then a homebrew app. The copyright owners are Comex,Team Twiizers and the developers of the homebrew app. If there are no images of any Nintendo software on the video then they have no copyright claim. In fact for them to claim it to youtube is a legal issue and the authors mentioned above could sue Nintendo.
July 10, 2009 12:16AM
@daniel_c_w
all it said was Nintendo.. Just search bannerbomb on youtube and click the original one by TheRealTracePillars or whatever and it will say this video was removed due to a copyright claim by nintendo.

also, Mario Kart Super Circuit is a GBA game... Like i said, i used VBAGX haha

(i had to type all this on my phone...)
July 10, 2009 12:31AM
scanff
My point was they can't do anything about the videos that just show homebrew as they don't own any copyright. As for Licensed Nintendo games I'm sure there's something in the original verbiage that gives them that right even if a third party developed the game.

I was saying that in theory if I made a video that shows the ONLY bannerbomb then homebrew channel then a homebrew app. The copyright owners are Comex,Team Twiizers and the developers of the homebrew app. If there are no images of any Nintendo software on the video then they have no copyright claim. In fact for them to claim it to youtube is a legal issue and the authors mentioned above could sue Nintendo.

Do you understand the term "warez"? Its illegal pirated copyrighted material, such as WADs, backups etc.
July 10, 2009 12:37AM
Yes I know what warez is. WTF does that have to do with what I just said.

If you were referring to my first post. I was commenting about the software that is used to launch a backup.
July 10, 2009 12:41AM
yes. you said they cant do anything about warez tutorials as they dont own copyright. i said they do own copyright to wii, vc and wiiware games. you said that your point was they cant do anything videos showing homebrew.

which implies that you think warez = homebrew. which is not true. nintendo do own the copyright on warez material, but not on homebrew. they could remove warez tutorials, but shouldnt legally be able to remove homebrew as far as i can see.
July 10, 2009 03:15AM
SifJar
yes. you said they cant do anything about warez tutorials as they dont own copyright. i said they do own copyright to wii, vc and wiiware games. you said that your point was they cant do anything videos showing homebrew.

which implies that you think warez = homebrew. which is not true. nintendo do own the copyright on warez material, but not on homebrew. they could remove warez tutorials, but shouldnt legally be able to remove homebrew as far as i can see.

Implying warez = homebrew. I develop homebrew and I'm fully aware what warez is.

I guess there's some miscommunication going on.
July 10, 2009 03:35AM
i guess your dumb. Whoops did i say that out loud? Read your first post again. It says: "Well they can't do anything about warez tutorials because they don't own copyright on the software." This is wrong. They can do everyhting in theyre power to a warez tutorial. Yes, they dont own the software running the warez, but they do own the games that are being run. SifJar is right.
"Yes I know what warez is. WTF does that have to do with what I just said.

If you were referring to my first post. I was commenting about the software that is used to launch a backup."

There you contradict yourself.

P.S. I wish we had an un-moderated section for this kind of stuff. That would be fun. I mean like Uber Off Topic, but still no promoting warez/piracy. Oh and if the mods find this post too.... Stupid, delete it.
July 10, 2009 04:16AM
dayum...and isn't the system menu also ninty software? have quite a day with that. P.S would i be the king of an über off topic section? =p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login