Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiSX playing CDs

Posted by thedemon13666 
WiiSX playing CDs
August 05, 2009 05:36PM
Is it going to be at any point possible for the WiiSX to be able to play original psx cds?

If not could someone explain why it will never be possible?

Thanks
Re: WiiSX playing CDs
August 05, 2009 05:57PM
Reading DVDs uses a different laser wavelength to the one used for CDs, and the Wii DVD drive is not a combo. So no, not possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 05:58PM by PhoenixTank.
August 05, 2009 06:11PM
Nintendo didn't see the need to make the Wii's drive compatible with CDs because a CD would be too small for a Wii game, and they probably didnt want to have to pay for licensing for a CD player, like with DVD.
August 06, 2009 04:28AM
Can WiiSX read from a USB drive? If so then you could just hook up a CD drive through the USB port. Don't know if WiiSX would even accept a straight disc or not as it might be only imaged discs. I can't find anything that does say USB support exists but hey, anything is worth a shot.
August 06, 2009 12:42PM
Hmm, that's a interesting idea. You could probably get a USB CD Drive quite cheap, I wonder if it'd be possible for WiiSX to add support for reading from USB CD Drives. It'd be pretty cool if it did.
August 06, 2009 03:21PM
You'd have to write a custom driver though which is really hard to do (not taking into account that it'd have to support CD Drives from multiple brands)
August 06, 2009 07:21PM
If you can get USB hard drive support, then anything external should work. At least I have this: [eshop.macsales.com] that will make a CD drive appear like a hard drive anyways.
August 06, 2009 07:25PM
Thats just a cable to connect a drive to USB port. Doesnt make CD Drive appear as USB Hard Drive
August 07, 2009 12:15AM
SifJar
Nintendo didn't see the need to make the Wii's drive compatible with CDs because a CD would be too small for a Wii game, and they probably didnt want to have to pay for licensing for a CD player, like with DVD.

Err, not really. Wii Sports, when dumped, is about 400MB of size...
August 07, 2009 03:45AM
Arikado
(not taking into account that it'd have to support CD Drives from multiple brands)

As far as I know, there is a standard for (CD-)Drives via USB.
And for years (decades) the basic way to communicate with drives (in software) has not changed.

Somebody who has some experience in writting this kind of stuff, should be able to write it after taking a look at some source code from the generic linux drivers.
August 08, 2009 03:14PM
DanielHueho
SifJar

Err, not really. Wii Sports, when dumped, is about 400MB of size...

I think that hamster game is about 50MB, as well.
August 11, 2009 10:58AM
OK, well MOST Wii games then. It probably wasn't worth the hassle and added cost of having a combo drive just for a few games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login