Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would it be possbile...

Posted by Nayru 
Would it be possbile...
August 17, 2009 12:58AM
to install a larger hard drive on the wii, i mean like backing up a nand and then somehow unpacking it on to a larger HDD and installing it back in the wii? i dont really know much about the physical layout of the inner wii and if the hard drive its removeable and replaceable.
Re: Would it be possbile...
August 17, 2009 03:23AM
Leaving the hardware aspect aside:

Does the software even support bigger NANDs?
August 17, 2009 07:55AM

to install a larger hard drive on the wii, i mean like backing up a nand and then somehow unpacking it on to a larger HDD and installing it back in the wii? i dont really know much about the physical layout of the inner wii and if the hard drive its removeable and replaceable.
Does the Wii have a drive? I thought it was flash memory.
Sorry - read the post too fast.

Don't know much about the Wii's bootloader but the memory size is usually set in the bootloader. I've only used redboot so correct me if I'm way off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 07:58AM by scanff.
August 17, 2009 12:19PM
What is redboot?

I was thinking about the IOS, because they handle the whole NAND, even the wear leveling.
August 17, 2009 05:32PM
daniel_c_w
Leaving the hardware aspect aside:

Well, Waninkoko has made a "NAND emulator" which he claims allows you to use SD or USB as the NAND, and you can supposedly use the full size of the device, not just 512MB, so it must be possible. Of course, I dont support this software, and advise against using it, as currently all it can do is load warez channels from sd/usb (yes, they MUST be warez, have to be installed with WAD manager). Just saying, it must be possible for it to support a larger NAND.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 05:33PM by SifJar.
August 17, 2009 09:03PM
daniel_c_w
What is redboot?

I was thinking about the IOS, because they handle the whole NAND, even the wear leveling.

Redboot is an open source bootloader for embedded systems. I've no experience with Wii hardware but usually the flash NAND/NOR size is held in the bootloader.
August 19, 2009 11:57AM
Thanks scanff

SifJar
Well, Waninkoko has made a "NAND emulator" which he claims allows you to use SD or USB as the NAND

Is it finished?, is it safe? I was actually looking forward to it.
August 19, 2009 01:26PM
sort of. so far all it can do is load themes (yuk) from sd/usb instead of installing them, load a different system menu (not a full different nand, just the system menu, with your nand) and you can install WADs to a "emulated" NAND, then play them with triiforce, direct from sd or usb.
August 19, 2009 06:24PM
/\
/\
/\

So it doesn't actually "emulate" a NAND, rather than redirect few NAND calls to load stuff from SD... (at least, so far)
August 19, 2009 06:34PM
Yeah, but he claims he has been able to boot a copy of bushing's NAND bushing sent him a long time ago, and play with bushing's friend code online and stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login