Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Overclocking Advice

Posted by Matando 
Need Overclocking Advice
August 20, 2009 04:05AM
I'm planning on Buying Call of Duty: World at War for the pc. Unfortunately my Computer doesn't "Fully" Meet the requirements. And I need to overclock it.

My Specs are:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.80 GHz
RAM: 2.5GB

Now The Game Requires The Processor to be at a minimum:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3GHz

Here's where I need your help. I've never overclocked a computer before and have no Idea where to start. Before I go join some other site that will have people the will treat me like trash because I'm a complete n00b, I Would like your guys' advice on where to start.

I really need to buy that game and make some map mods. Overclocking comes first though. Just think, I'll be the next Josh Olin (lol, I hope he doesn't read that :p )
Re: Need Overclocking Advice
August 20, 2009 04:09AM
Unfortunately, overclocking from 1,8 GHz to 3.0 GHz is almost out of the question...
August 20, 2009 07:05AM
On spec's I'd be more concerned with meeting the graphics requirements. But there's noway you could get 3 from 1.8.

Usually overclocking has to be supported by the motherboard. It will be in the bios settings.
August 20, 2009 12:36PM
also, since you are using win7 the requirement tend to be lesser for most games, i am running sims 3 on an amd sempron 1.8ghz and a geforce 6, it would not run at all on vista but works fine on win7
August 20, 2009 04:10PM
okay, I thought that was too high of a jump, but I would still like to overclock it a little, because I have a cpu usage meter gadget on my desktop and it easily hits 100% when I run programs like firefox, or I simply start up the computer and log on.

I don't want it to overclock it too high, but just enough to make my computer run a little smoother.

any suggestions on what I should make the jump to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 04:11PM by Matando.
August 20, 2009 05:51PM
I hope this doesn't sounds too stupid... But really, get another processor (or maybe another PC). Even if you overclock it, your P4 looks like one from the first generation, and they are pretty crappy to run any modern game.

If you are going to do OC anyway, I would recommend to not go too far from 2.4 GHz, if is possible. If you raise the speed too much, the processor will melt...
August 20, 2009 07:04PM
Matando
okay, I thought that was too high of a jump, but I would still like to overclock it a little, because I have a cpu usage meter gadget on my desktop and it easily hits 100% when I run programs like firefox, or I simply start up the computer and log on.

I don't want it to overclock it too high, but just enough to make my computer run a little smoother.

any suggestions on what I should make the jump to?

I think with modern CPU's the motherboard has to support it, like I said look in the bios on boot.

I remember messing with jumpers to overclock a 90Mhz P1 to 110Mhz, but I don't think you can do stuff like that anymore unless the motherboard supports it.
September 09, 2009 11:53PM
I ran a 1.8 from 1999-2008 and then i found a 2.2 for like $2 and put it in and i had it OCed to a 3.0 with an extra fan added, but I only had 768MB of RAM.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login