Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

licensing and credit information

Posted by steaky1212 
licensing and credit information
August 20, 2009 02:58PM
Hi,

I noticed that MLlib was removed for GPL violations - and so I wanted to clear all this up.

What libraries are released under a license, and if you use libwiigui, for example, how would you go about crediting them.
Plus how far do you have to give credit, and do I have to give credit to whoever answers this??

Do I have to release my source code, or does this depend on the libraries I use?
Do I do credits in a "Thanks to" section in my code, or an actual screen page that displays on the wii?

Just seeing what peoples thoughts were.

Steve
Re: licensing and credit information
August 20, 2009 04:04PM
If any code you use (libraries or snippets from other programs) falls under GPL licsense, you MUST provide source code and credit original creators. If it is just a modificiation of source, with little original code, it must be marked as such, and not as a new application.

Many libraries fall under GPL licsense, so if you use them, you must provide source.

In any open source stuff, there should be a file called COPYING (no extension). Open it in Wordpad or something and read it. It'll tell you what licsense its under, and the conditions of that licsense. Check it before using any code in your own work.

You can just have a thanks section in readme and wiibrew wiki page, and if you're releasing in a forum or on a blog, put the thanks in the release post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 04:11PM by SifJar.
August 20, 2009 07:58PM

If any code you use (libraries or snippets from other programs) falls under GPL licsense, you MUST provide source code and credit original creators.
Not true, just credits. If your software adds additional functionality you don't have to provide source.
August 20, 2009 10:26PM
GPL liscense states you MUST provide source code.
August 21, 2009 02:55PM
In fact, the GPL doesn't require you to credit someone, it just requires you to make source available.

Some libraries are under the LGPL, however, and this means that you pretty much just have to make the library's source available and dynamically link the library to your application, or statically link it, supply the library's source, and include object files so that you could build the library and link it with the object files to get what you had at first.

That is a simplification, and may be a misinterpretation, so read the LGPL yourself to figure it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login