Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blocking off wii update in firewall?

Posted by Haas 
Blocking off wii update in firewall?
September 29, 2009 12:34PM
Would it be possible to block some IP adress to prevent the wii for updating forever. Because this would be a fail proof solution, for blocking the wii update out.
Re: Blocking off wii update in firewall?
September 29, 2009 12:58PM
You couldn't do it without blocking the Wii accessing the internet at all.
September 29, 2009 01:20PM
the only thing I want to do online is updating homebrew, isn't there a way to just enable that and block off the rest?
September 29, 2009 02:02PM
Not clicking "update" should suffice, no?
September 29, 2009 04:29PM
Yeah if I would be the only one operating the wii. Maybe enabling the menu code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 04:33PM by Haas.
September 30, 2009 04:19AM
You could block the port that Nintendo uses from accessing the wii, but you would need either Wireshark or Air Snort or something to sniff the packets to find the port that needs to be blocked.
September 30, 2009 06:59AM
I'm sure your router would have some parental block controls. You should be able to enter the Wii update servers IP's and block it that way. Of course you'll have to find out what the IP's are.

ninjafish1990's idea is better if the update port is not a common one. Your router should support port blocking too.
October 06, 2009 07:16AM
I use a Linksys WRT54G router with DD-WRT, which has an option to specify arguments to the router's DNS server. Adding
address=/wii.com/0.0.0.0
will prevent the Wii from accessing wii.com, which, I assume, is where it gets its updates. (I haven't tried testing it, I don't want to accidentally upgrade my Wii.)
October 06, 2009 05:56PM
I highly doubt their update server is hosted as a subdomain off of wii.com...
October 09, 2009 05:09AM
It is actually, nus.shop.wii.com.
October 10, 2009 12:07AM
Awesome I too have a that exact same router, so gonna block it, you can even add the mac address to the block list so only your wii gets blocked :)
October 12, 2009 08:06PM
yeah. I did this the other day. But when I use the new StartPatch, I won't need this... right?....

I have a Siemens SE567 for Telus DSL, and I just put in a Deny rule for 'any' Source Interface/Address with Destination Interface 'any', Address 209.67.106.0, and Mask 255.255.255.0. On review, I guess the better rule would be to change Source to the Wii's IP - but I was just glad to finally get it working. I just had to remember to disable it to use NUS Downloader.

Would have been nice to block by the specific nus.shop.wii.com domain name, but my router doesn't support it.

I got the addresses from Here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login