Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will the wii's full potential be unlocked?

Posted by seaoftea 
Will the wii's full potential be unlocked?
October 27, 2009 01:55PM
I've noticed the specs in terms of memory and cpu speed between the original xbox and wii are fairly similiar. Though the wii seems to struggle with emulators while the xbox's emus pretty much run at full speed. I'm wondering why this might be. Does the fact that homebrew developers are writing for devkitpro vs nintendo's proprietary sdk have anything to do with this speed gap? Are xbox emulators just more mature than wii's and have had more time to see their full potential? Or are they just completely different on a hardware level, wii having a ppc processor and ati video chip vs xbox's x86 /w nvidia chip? I don't really favor the latter while comparing the two consoles specs. The wii should be able to out perform xbox having more/faster ram, more l1/l2 cache, and 2x faster external bus.
Re: Will the wii's full potential be unlocked?
October 27, 2009 02:55PM
Xbox and Wii are completely different on a hardware level yes. Think of it this way....Xbox is basically a pc packed into a small box, where Wii is comparative to a machine running OSX. The Xbox being basically a mini pc of sorts can get multiple emulators built for pcs on it fairly easily without really having to do much to them in terms of optimizations. This also unfortunately allows the better higher end emulators built specifically for pc on it. Where as Wii obviously needs a little bit of re-writing to be done to certain emulators that run on a pc. Then of course there's more to optimise and so forth, until the Wii version emulators are comparable to their respective pc counterparts.

So really it's a combination of the Xbox and the emulator ports that's the real difference, cause as I said with the Xbox being basically a pc it can do a lot more and utilize a lot more on the higher end of things. And unfortunately Wii wont see a lot of high end emulators like the Xbox did cause of different development architectures used to build the emulators, cause it's basically tougher to re-write something made specifically for pc to ppc code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 03:04PM by nightwishfan1.
Re: Will the wii's full potential be unlocked?
October 28, 2009 12:24PM
seaoftea
The wii should be able to out perform xbox having more/faster ram, more l1/l2 cache, and 2x faster external bus.
however slow the wii looks its the opposite of AMD cpus, its faster than it seems we just need to work on it for longer

there are few comments to this post about the specs (i hope bushing checks it to make sure some of the claimsre true)
[www.nwiizone.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login