Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Homebrew - Has it all gone a bit flat?

Posted by robmcp1888 
Re: Wii Homebrew - Has it all gone a bit flat?
November 29, 2009 03:54PM
Arikado
Archii?

Speaking of Archii, [wiki.archlinux.org].
November 29, 2009 05:45PM
How about Mintii?
EDIT: This discussion of Linux distro's could go on forever. All you really need to do is replace the install ISO in the installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 06:19PM by metroid_maniac.
November 29, 2009 06:50PM
You use an ISO to install Wii Linux? Dont you have to have a special build made specifically for the wii?
November 29, 2009 06:51PM
You need to rebuild every executable, pretty much, plus there are no install DVDs that I know of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 06:52PM by WikiFSX.
November 29, 2009 07:59PM
metroid_maniac
EDIT: This discussion of Linux distro's could go on forever. All you really need to do is replace the install ISO in the installer.
If only it were that easy... haha
November 29, 2009 09:56PM
Really? can't you just use a PPC distro like YDL?
November 29, 2009 10:09PM
no, because the Wii doesn't have a standard PPC processor
November 30, 2009 05:12PM
Oh. Interesting. BTW, happy 400th post!
January 17, 2010 06:13PM
I am new to the Homebrew scene, but I am hoping to gain proficiency in Wii programing after shaking the rust out of my old programming skills that accumulated in my most recent years of Visual BASIC programming. I used to do assembly, BASIC, COBOL, Pascal (for school) and some Visual stuff, but have been working the last 12 years as systems support and haven't been coding except for data manipulation.

I have a little different project in the works to help me accomplish this,,, I have called it 'The Casiino Project'. You can follow it via Twitter at [twitter.com] or directly view the journal at [cp.jclay.net]

I call it an experiment in programming and social networking... we'll see where it ends up...
January 18, 2010 03:31AM
Cool, i just finished part one of my Casiino project today... Blackjack (wiidoubledown) 2.0 will finally be out by Tuesday (been updating with all new graphics and options for about 6 months now), and i'm adding Craps next.

Welcome to the forums!
January 18, 2010 05:13AM
So much for me picking an original name... I even Googled the crap out of it! :)

Oh well... It was going to be the TiiNii WiiNii CasiiNo Project, but I thought that was a bit much, Maybe I'll make it OHiiO Slots. :)
January 18, 2010 07:01PM
the ii is done way to much IMO.
January 18, 2010 07:58PM
OHiiO Slots... i like that!

I had actually thought of doing CasWiiNo, but like Crisco said, it's kinda getting crazy out there so i went with Casiino. (even though that still violates the ii rule)

Crisco: what would you call it then? i'll admit that when it comes to creative titles... i'm lazy and like the cop out of the ii theme!

dcpyatt: I would be curious to see how you do slots... that would be awesome. I had planned on doing slot poker (since it wouldn't require AI strategy (i'm not that advanced yet!)) but full blown slots was WAY in the future for my plans.
January 18, 2010 09:01PM
Well you even nintendo is taking the Wii thing to far, look at all the games that have "Wii" slapped onto the end. But why not just name it: Slots of Vegas, The Homebrew Dimension, but then again, that is a really stupid name I just came up with.
January 18, 2010 09:07PM
If you mean the Wii series (Sports, Play, Fit, etc.), they are part of a series.

If you mean stuff like NSMBWii, yes, they are getting a little lazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 09:08PM by WikiFSX.
January 18, 2010 09:46PM

Slots of Vegas, The Homebrew Dimension, but then again, that is a really stupid name I just came up with

:D
January 19, 2010 05:58AM
I have a few features/obstacles in my project...

1. I haven't coded 'real' code in quite a while, let alone any coding for the Wii.

2. I plan on taking it to a VERY mechanical physics engine, not just selecting a random number and picking a picture for the reel.

3. I want to create a statistical model off of the outcomes to validate the results. In my "HOUSE" the HOUSE may not win quite as much... I'm more interested in creating environment where players (may) know when the last pay off was, what the current contents of the till are, how long the last player played on his initial bankroll, How much the largest walkaway was, etc. so you could look at trends.

4. Feedback from users

5. Multiple machines, Wii-controlled gamblers so the machines get worked, kinda like you don't necessarily want to buy a dozen instant lottery tickets all in sequence.

Anybody can pull three symbols from a hat... payoff/no payoff... I want more of a real/reel feel to it.

DaveP in Ohiio :)
January 19, 2010 02:31PM
excellent! i look forward to seeing your work.

I love anything stat related and plan on having similar tracking in some of my games. an excellent idea for slots too. I haven't even thought of that.

IF i were to do slots (which i probably won't be able to) they wouldn't be anywhere near that in depth (i would be that random number flash a picture guy)... i look forward to seeing what you come up with!
January 21, 2010 07:11AM
Sorry I haven't added any more thoughts the past few days... my son has been sick for over a week now and I've been watching old TV series with him to keep his spirits up since the meds have been slow to kick it. 18 next month and he's still my baby. :) When I have a 'Eureka!' moment I'll document it on my journal and let you all know...
January 26, 2010 08:41PM
Just to restart this topic:

There are a couple of pretty exciting things coming out in the near future:

SNEEK : Makes Wii's unbrickable, even those with fixed boot1 (those with fixed boot1 need Priiloader to autoboot to BootMii/IOS, but once that has happened, real NAND is never touched, so everything is done on a fake NAND, meaning its impossible to brick)

Riivolution : Allows on-the-fly patching of any game disc (this was used in the recent Fatal Frame translation). Lets you swap files with files on the SD card in any game, allowing loading of translations, custom levels and textures, custom songs for games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero etc.

Reggie! : Actually a PC program, but its related to Wii homebrew, lets you make custom levels for NSMB, which can then be loaded with Riivolution.

I'm quite interested in all of the above, seems to be a sort of burst of action in the Wii "scene" recently.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.