Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii not reading disks

Posted by tophinup 
wii not reading disks
November 12, 2009 05:00AM
I was playing ssbb the other day and after a match it told me "an error has occured please eject the disk and power off the system" so i did. gave it about an hour then came back to try again same thing tryed re4, destroy all humans, super mario galaxys, wii play, and more. all to the same effect except there were times it did not even read the disk at all. i am putting the disks in right played brawl for a long time with out a problem going out of my mind. the disk drive has been louder recently but not so loud i was worried. i know it has to be a disk spin or laser problem but what i realy need is if i can fix it (doubt it) or if there is a third party who could fix it, who and where are they. please help my family is going to be so sad and it is my fault.

not sure if this is where i should post this?
any and all help will be great
thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 05:56AM by tophinup.
Re: wii not reading disks
November 12, 2009 05:16AM
Try getting a disc drive cleaner. That's mostlikely your problem.

If that doesn't work, you could just send it to nintendo for a (better) replacement disc drive.
November 12, 2009 05:19AM
forgot to say i have homebrew on my wii and i grabbed wild west guns. can i still send it to the N?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 05:20AM by tophinup.
November 12, 2009 06:46AM
Check your PMs. :)
November 12, 2009 09:40PM
You basically have a dirty disc drive. You can clean it yourself or send it to the big N. IIRC, they clean the drives free of charge.
December 25, 2009 03:07AM
ok i cleaned it with a normal disk cleaner it did not work but. I got a hold of a buddy who has a game drive, disk cleaner and i liked it but i fear the issue was not dust/dirt related. So back to my original fear could ssbb have KOed my laser mount or disk drive? now the real question what drive would i need for a us Sn.Lu3141***** wii
December 29, 2009 01:13PM
anyone know what drive i need where to order it or where to find out?
December 30, 2009 01:58AM
December 30, 2009 11:06AM
So D2b is the right type, as far as you know?
December 30, 2009 02:18PM
I don't think that D2B part of the name means anything. It should be fine.
December 30, 2009 02:51PM
It DOES mean something. But I believe any drive works in any Wii. The model (i.e. D2B) is only important for a)modchips and b)DVDx (the latest drive doesn't work with DVDx). But that drive will be fine for DVDx.
December 30, 2009 11:44PM
Okay, forget what I said. YOU WANT THAT DRIVE.
January 07, 2010 10:54PM
i am glad to know that now, i have no need or want to do any phisical mods only to play wii games. if i can find a D2E or D2C drive cheaper are there any downfalls? and could it have any effect on playing US games on my US wii?
thank you so much for your time.
and thank you to everyone who has been willing to help me out it means more than you know.
January 07, 2010 11:27PM
No any drive should be completely fine. Certainly there will be no issues with region compatibility, that is purely software, hence Gecko OS etc. can load region free games by simply not bothering to check region.
January 18, 2010 01:25PM
That is a good point thank you for clearing that up. Now i just have to wait for my new drive and then install it and i found some great guides to help with that.
January 18, 2010 03:45PM
Clean the drive with this [www.gamestop.com] if it still fails then it is likely that the drive has physically gone bad. It is unlikely that a particular game caused it, it was just the game that happend to be in the drive when it finnaly gave out, IMHO.

If you have HBC installed and you send it to Nintendo to be repaired it will come back with a note say altered and not repairable.

In this case I suggest buying a new drive and installing it, there are loads of tutorials on the net, I can provide you links if you need them, or if you are not sure what drive to buy and or are not comfortable opening your Wii and doing the repair yourself then I suggest going with a third party repair company. I highly reccomend MCM their website is [modchipman.com]

I messed up my Wii and they did an excellent job repairing it, quickly and affordably. I had to have a drive repaired, a modchip install that went bad repaired, a custom LED case with thermostat and second cooling fan installed, and a new turbo primary cooling fan installed. They did all that and round trip insured UPS Ground shipping for $87.50 and with shipping time included it took 15 days. I have had the unit back for almost 2 months and it works perfectly and I am very pleased with their customer service too. They either answered their phone when I called or called me back inside an hour when I left a message and they were polite, professional, and helpful. If you go with the third party option I really suggest them. I have not used anyone else so I cannot honestly give a comparison but I can say they did impress me enough that I am doing something I rarely do, which is give a company a reccomendation.

That aside if you choose to do it yourself PM me and I will send you a few links on how to do a drive install. As far as selecting the right drive goes, I do not know anything about that and you will have to rely on info from the other posts to decide what drive to buy, sorry. If you have any more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help let me know and I will do my best to help you out. I wish you the best of luck. Have a good one.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 09:34PM by elmoreas.
January 21, 2010 03:30PM
Wow thank you for all the info. So out of the whole fix/mod job MCM did about how much was just the drive replacement? I think i might give installing it myself a try but if it's only a bit more might as well save the pain. Thank you again for the help.
February 04, 2010 07:07PM
The same problem with brawl has happened to me I've tried disk cleaners but most of them are a DVD that plays and then cleans the drive which isnt good enough because the disc channel will read it work out it's not a wii game and stop reading it.
February 07, 2010 11:24PM
jake
The same problem with brawl has happened to me I've tried disk cleaners but most of them are a DVD that plays and then cleans the drive which isnt good enough because the disc channel will read it work out it's not a wii game and stop reading it.

Use some homebrew which reads the disc and it should not stop spinning I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login