Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

able to sue nintendo

Posted by dddddd 
Re: able to sue nintendo
November 14, 2009 11:31PM
I never really understood why its a type of ROM, seeing as it can by read and erased and written, not read only. But I digress into off topic nonsense....
November 15, 2009 01:51AM
I think it's because you can't rewrite sectors, if you're going to write to it, you have to write the whole thing over
November 15, 2009 03:44AM
cactusjack901
I think it's because you can't rewrite sectors, if you're going to write to it, you have to write the whole thing over

Precisely.
November 15, 2009 04:36PM
SifJar
But I digress into off topic nonsense....
November 17, 2009 08:39PM
SifJar
I dont think they could "accidently" add code to check for Korean Common Key in EEPROM to IOS70, and "accidently" make System Menu 4.2 call that code.

Oh, and "bump". Please can we continue discussion of this topic?
November 17, 2009 10:10PM
WikiFSX
Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.

Basically, you can write data to it, and then wipe all of the data off electronically and write data to it again. Sort of like NAND or NOR memory.
but then its not really rom is it?

and about suing ... dont bother, ninty's "new"er uap (user agreement policy) basically strips us of rights if we use homebrew

and about the unmodded wiis, nintendo didnt intentionally aim to brick wiis, more unmodded wiis were bricked than modded, this implies it was more unintentional
November 17, 2009 10:24PM
SteelSLasher
WikiFSX
Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.

Basically, you can write data to it, and then wipe all of the data off electronically and write data to it again. Sort of like NAND or NOR memory.
but then its not really rom is it?
It's a type of ROM still since it can't be changed in sectors, but instead has to be changed all at once, making it a full ROM again. (I know I'm not explaining it very well, look it up)

SteelSlasher
and about suing ... dont bother, ninty's "new"er uap (user agreement policy) basically strips us of rights if we use homebrew
Since does the EULA (the proper acronym - not uap) does not overthrow federal, state/province, and/or local laws (ie: Nintendo doesn't write the law); It's nothing but an unsigned contract (I believe "embargo" would be the correct term) which only a court can decide whether or not to uphold. And again, intentionally harming a Wii is illegal.

SteelSlasher
and about the unmodded wiis, nintendo didnt intentionally aim to brick wiis, more unmodded wiis were bricked than modded, this implies it was more unintentional
Really? Can you give me some numbers from an official source to back this up? I honestly haven't heard any bricked Wii reports with enough merit to imply they are even likely to be legitimate. Bushing himself posted a request for reports of bricked Wiis but honestly didnt come up with anything AFAIK. I'm not implying that there are no bricked wii's, there's obviously an extremely small chance that any Wii could be bricked when installing the boot2 update; that's computer engineering theory. But I am implying that this truly blown out of proportion and, again, not intentional.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 12:41AM by Arikado.
November 18, 2009 09:42PM
Arikado
SteelSlasher
Really? Can you give me some numbers from an official source to back this up? I honestly haven't heard any bricked Wii reports with enough merit to imply they are even likely to be legitimate. Bushing himself posted a request for reports of bricked Wiis but honestly didnt come up with anything AFAIK. I'm not implying that there are no bricked wii's, there's obviously an extremely small chance that any Wii could be bricked when installing the boot2 update, that's computer engineering theory.

well, i had a look at the ninty tech support forum and the attitudes of people who had a bricked wii were not similar to those of people who could understand homebrew installing instructions (not calling them stupid just not savvy) so it would appear safe to assume that most of these people have no knowledge of homebrew. And almost all newbs pickup the basics of homebrew: if you dont know what it will do dont touch it (and if you do use your own judgement). Also, almost every wii homebrew site warned users about the possible brick and that it had happened and so many users had stayed away from it

i understand bootmii could brick your wii but tbh i dont think its as dangerous as ninty, bootmii was in dev for much longer than the boot2 updater, it had probably undergone much more in-context testing and people who had installed it probably had an idea of how the brick could occur and how to prevent it.

the average user was not told of the boot2 update and may do it during a thunderstorm or someone might hit the wii during update, its not homebrew its reading that can save your wii (well yes homebrew does as well but you probably had to read something)

Arikado
But I am implying that this truly blown out of proportion and, again, not intentional.
uhhh... i said it was unintentional, i never said it was widespread, i think i meant to say that the way it had happened implied it was unintentional
November 19, 2009 01:45AM
How do you know how long the boot2 updater had been in development? It has been unchanged since 2006, but we can assume that it was at least 2 years old then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login