Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Google Chrome OS

Posted by hunterm 
Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009 11:24PM
Does anyone think since we have: Wii-Linux and Google's Chrome OS released in source code, we could easily port Chromium OS over to Wii as a second distribution?
Re: Google Chrome OS
November 26, 2009 11:44PM
There already a bunch of distros of wii linux, it wouldnt be a second distro, but i was thinking about this earlier. if this would be possible, it'd be pretty awesome, having chrome browser running on wii.
November 26, 2009 11:44PM
Possibly. It might be useful, but I haven't seen it yet though.
November 27, 2009 07:41AM
It would be extreamly fast and awesome, everyone loves fast and awesome.
November 27, 2009 12:25PM
hunterm
It would be extreamly fast and awesome, everyone loves fast and awesome.
yes thats true, but does everyone love the idea of NO local apps, chrome os is physically stunted on its audience, before i heard of the pure cloud idea i was totally for it but then i decided that i was better off with what i already had.
November 27, 2009 10:53PM
Yeah, I've never been one to believe in "the cloud" I think that just brings a lot of stability issues. If your network is shaky, than everything you do in your cloud is shaky, and it's not easy to have a rock solid network
November 30, 2009 08:42PM
cactusjack901
Yeah, I've never been one to believe in "the cloud" I think that just brings a lot of stability issues. If your network is shaky, than everything you do in your cloud is shaky, and it's not easy to have a rock solid network

not just that, if you use cloud you actively depend on something that is theoretically virtual so when it breaks down what do you do? You could say the same with hardwired but hardwired connections are pretty stable but if you are using wireless the router could heat up, too many people to a router, weak aerial, low battery etc.

personally, i think the cloud systems should made to work as local to the user as possible rather than store data on a server that only god could locate, its a nice idea but i dont think it works great for computing because i know several people who kicked themselves after realising a netbook is a fairly stripped down notebook and i can see chrome os sucking people dry after they realise that there are no local apps (no itunes, live messenger(theoretically), torrents, other browsers (most people use more than one), conveniance apps (comical, finale reader, gparted/acronis/etc and many more)

today computing has been redefined so that everybody will almost need a piece of everything, even if you only surf the net you will eventually need something that chrome os cant do like: reading a .cbr (comic book rar) file or opening a piece of sheet music in the .mus format, these are only examples, in real life things may be more realistic i mean who in their right minds would spend time to download and read a comic ilegally when some idiot on ebay is selling them for less than a penny
November 30, 2009 11:05PM
There are some good sides to cloud computing though...You need little storage or processing power of your own. In theory, you could have a computer with a few GB storage, and a crappy processor and RAM and video card, and still run the latest games and stuff (through services like OnLive where you play the game "in the cloud" and its streamed to your computer) and this could be applied to other apps too. And you can store loads of stuff "in the cloud" without needing to store it all locally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 11:05PM by SifJar.
November 30, 2009 11:16PM
SifJar, I've been waiting to see what happens with OnLive. I'm interested to see if it's real. There's noway you can play modern games via streaming the lag would be too much. Personally I'd love to see this happen but I think it's just hot air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 11:20PM by scanff.
November 30, 2009 11:25PM
I think OnLive is supposed to be released this month. I can't wait to try it on my horrible laptop. ;)

Edit: Just signed up for the beta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 11:30PM by gameboy13.
November 30, 2009 11:32PM
gameboy13
I think OnLive is supposed to be released this month. I can't wait to try it on my horrible laptop. ;)

let us know the outcome.
November 30, 2009 11:42PM
scanff
SifJar, I've been waiting to see what happens with OnLive. I'm interested to see if it's real. There's noway you can play modern games via streaming the lag would be too much. Personally I'd love to see this happen but I think it's just hot air.

The lag would make it unplayable on my crappy internet (i get ~70-100kb/s btw)
December 01, 2009 12:02AM
scanff
gameboy13

let us know the outcome.
I'll be kind of lucky to be picked. I'm sure MANY people sign up for it every day.
December 01, 2009 03:27AM
gameboy13
scanff
gameboy13

let us know the outcome.
I'll be kind of lucky to be picked. I'm sure MANY people sign up for it every day.

i hope i get picked t0o!
December 02, 2009 03:11AM
umm whats OnLive?
December 02, 2009 03:20AM
You know... Does Onlive remind anybody else of The Phantom?

[en.wikipedia.org])
December 02, 2009 02:06PM
Not at all, really.
December 11, 2009 03:01PM
cactusjack901
You know... Does Onlive remind anybody else of The Phantom?

[en.wikipedia.org])

No the Phantom wouldn't have streamed video of games to you and your input to the servers instead it would have just downloaded the games and played them locally which meant that it wouldn't have required massive amounts of bandwidth and zero latency making it far more realistic then OnLive. I'm sure OnLive will do better in the sense that it will actually be released but I don't expect it to be any kind of grand success. OnLive and The Phantom where both ahead of there time. Also OnLive freaks me out a bit in the same way Chrome OS does. I actually think Chrome OS would be cool for Wii but even for a netbook that's your secondary computer going that complete in the cloud doesn't seem like a great idea. I'm surprised people don't have problems with the loss of consumer ownership for gamers that would happen if OnLive does well. Having a download over a physical disc is already one thing but to not even have the files of something you bought on your computer to keep long term seems crazy. Maybe its just me though.
December 12, 2009 09:52AM
Google Chrome OS is a joke. Google is repackaging the linux kernel with a new windowing system and their browser then calling it a "new operating system". Xwindows works affectively and efficiently, and if by windowing system they are referring to the desktop environment. There are already enough choices to contend with any hardware limitations. (ex. gnome, kde, xfce)

As for a wii port the answer is no. Googles new code is written for x86 and ARM not PPC. Specifically the java script engine of the Chrome web browser(aka "the new breakthrough speed boosting technology") is written for the Intel instruction set.

In regards to the cloud computing discussion. With the a linux kernel inside any operating system they package will still usable as a stand alone pc. The shift in software usage will be user driven, and could just be as easily achieved with any current web browser on any operating system.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 10:17AM by linus.
December 13, 2009 07:10PM
I think of the Wii as an internet gaming console (IMHO). Wiis are usually connected to the net 24/7, so it just seems natural for a online OS to be a good os for the wii!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login