Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PAL Wii in the USA... black and white image

Posted by luisalbertoga 
PAL Wii in the USA... black and white image
November 29, 2009 07:09AM
Edited Out

Anyway... here is the problem. I bough the Wii while I was in Spain, now i have come to the US because of work, and the wii is in black and white, because of the PAL/NTSC.

Here is what I have been able to find so far...

PAL Wiis have 3 modes, 576i (PAL), 480i (NTSC BUT with PAL color code), and 480p EDTV/HDTV
NTSC Wiis have 2 modes, 480i (NTSC) and 480p EDTV/HDTV.

So far I have tested the Wii in 3 TV in the US... and a projector... all of them with the standar cables (red, white and yellow).

An old Sony 32"CRT... the image was in B&W. (as expected!)
I then tried a projector, and after fighting with it for a brief period of time, I was able to get it in color
then I tried a LDP (rear-projector TV) and it worked perfectly fine at the first try! in color!!! (sadly, this was at a friend's house!)
Then I have just bought a Sony bravia 1080p 40" (kdl40s504) and I have tried all combinations... but the picture is in B&W!!!!! I don't get it!!! It should simply adjust, as I was expecting any modern TV (like that of my friend) should! But apparently not all of the TV are able to understand PAL/NTSC and adjust properly.

Actually, more than black and white, is like a purple and white thing...

I will try to get the composite clables for the wii (those with 3 connectors for color, that will let me enable the HDTV option... I will let you know if that works...

However... I have been reading many blogs, forums etc... to the best of my knowledge, I have not seen this problem solved... Another option is to get one of those 3rd party cables that have an RGB (sub d-15) cable like those of the computer screens... and that should let me have color on my NTSC TV with my PAL Wii...

I also read some information about any region changer... I think it would also let me change my video settings... but has anyone with a Wii console from europe, that is a PAL Wii (or Australia, I think) tried to change the video settings to NTSC and has he/she been able to get color on the TV where before it was B&W? I am not truly interested in playing NTSC or PAL games, I have enough PAL games to use on my wii... I just want to play them in full color!!!

Please, any help will be appreciated...

(also, I have made this post rather lengthy... not to bore you... but because I have not found all this information together anywhere... and I tried to help other that might come with the same problem).

Best regards to you all!! (and thanks for reading and helping!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 02:23PM by Arikado.
Re: PAL Wii in the USA... black and white image
November 29, 2009 03:51PM
I'm not sure if the GPUs support more than the video mode in the region where the Wii was meant to be sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 03:52PM by WikiFSX.
November 29, 2009 04:08PM
If you get a stable black and white picture then you will get a working color picture with component cables (because component cables use the same color encoding on both PAL and NTSC Wiis)
November 29, 2009 10:35PM
Phredreeke
If you get a stable black and white picture then you will get a working color picture with component cables (because component cables use the same color encoding on both PAL and NTSC Wiis)

You are right!!!

I have just gotten back from a Game Stop and tried a composite cable... it worked!!! Even before switching it to EDTV!!

The cables are like $20 for an open item... so I will return them, and buy it somewhere else where the cables are less expensive... anyway I will be gone for the rest of the month... so I have time to buy them.!!

Great!!! Finally my Spanish PAL Wii is working on a NTSC US TV!!!!

Thanks to everyone!

Best regards!
November 29, 2009 11:59PM
luisalbertoga
Phredreeke

You are right!!!

I have just gotten back from a Game Stop and tried a composite cable... it worked!!! Even before switching it to EDTV!!

The cables are like $20 for an open item... so I will return them, and buy it somewhere else where the cables are less expensive... anyway I will be gone for the rest of the month... so I have time to buy them.!!

Great!!! Finally my Spanish PAL Wii is working on a NTSC US TV!!!!

Thanks to everyone!

Best regards!

You should buy them from Meritline, I love that place, everything is so cheap, and good. That's where I got my Component cables, cost me like $5 with shipping (or was it $8 with shipping, either way, dirt cheap)
July 12, 2010 04:01AM
Can someone please help me....

I am having the same problem. I have a Wii bought in Europe and have moved to the US. I just want to play my Wii on a TV in the US. I am not very techy so not really sure what to do. I don't have a TV yet and don't wan to spend a lot of money on one either.

I see someone has gotten theirs to work but like I said I'm not very techy and not sure what to look for in a TV or what exactly I need to do.

Thanks!
August 10, 2010 11:37PM
well you can get Component cables i sugest Meritline just ask a member of staff and they will be able to help you. Otherwise try useing geco OS and change the settings to force NTSC, tht sould work.

hope that helps
October 03, 2010 03:42AM
I hope this thread is still open. I have something of the opposite problem but same in nature, sort of. I softmodded a NTSC USA Wii using IOS 249, I believe.. but Wiiflow for IOS 222 is the only one that works, and not installed as a channel either, has to be through HBC. I updated my 4.2U menu to 4.3 safely with Waninkoko and I've collected just over 300 games. Only some of the games I have I can only get in PAL format. So I use Wii_ISO_Region_Patcher which forces the NTSC patch onto the PAL wbfs titles and yes, they do play, but only in black & white. And from reading the above issues I'm confused.. a different TV or cable.. I thought it was a NAND issue.. I'm lost. I use a heavy 70lb Fujitsu CRT monitor and a Impact RCA/TV/VGA converter box. So... what am I doing wrong? Can I get these PAL games to work in color or do I have to just live with the blk & wht until I can find a NTSC replacement. Thanks from the Hawaiian Islands - DieLaughing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 03:43AM by dielaughing.
October 03, 2010 04:08AM
We don't support USB loaders or piracy here.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.