Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[RESOLVED] editor homebrew

Posted by prampa 
[RESOLVED] editor homebrew
December 02, 2009 11:19PM
Hi,
what editor do you use to develope your homeworks?
I use linux (debian, WM icewm and all installed software is gnome compatible: I prefer don't use software based on kde libraries, if it's possibile) and I'd like to get a editor with completition code (classes and functions) and easy to use. I got codeblocks but I didn't like it. I'm using geany now. But I don't like it. I think eclipse is beatiful, but it's very heavy for this kind of work.
What editor do you prefer to develop your homeworks?
Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2009 08:49PM by prampa.
Re: editor homework
December 03, 2009 03:44AM
Lol it's homebrew not "homeworks". But I have heard that dev-c++ is a good editor. There is a guide about how to start with dev-c++ Here.

I am not sure if there is a Linux version available though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 04:07AM by TopGun96.
December 03, 2009 04:00AM
TopGun96
There is a guide about wii homebrew with dev-c++ Here.
Uhm, try a guide for compiling 'helloworld' for pc.
December 03, 2009 04:07AM
Oh yeah... Sorry. Either way dev-c++ is a good editor.

I fixed my other post.
December 03, 2009 04:56AM
i am learning how to code and i use dev c++
December 03, 2009 08:56PM
TopGun96
Oh yeah... Sorry. Either way dev-c++ is a good editor.

I fixed my other post.
its good BUT it hasnt been updated for some time and the newer version seems to not compile correctly, i know code:blocks can be used for both windows and wii dev if you put the compiler settings correctly
December 04, 2009 12:30AM
Like the OP said, he doesn't like code blocks. (and niether do I)
Re: editor homebrew
December 04, 2009 12:36PM
@topgun96: "Lol it's homebrew not "homeworks". ahahah.....you are right.......I was helping my son to do his home...works....Ah ah ah ...I bind myself!!!! Homebrew is written anywhere!!!!!
OK. that's right.
SteelsLasher said: "..code:blocks can be used for both windows and wii dev if you put the compiler settings correctly.."

How can I do it? I'm unable to set correctly the right libraries and compiler settings.
Thank

EDIT: I dont' like code:blocks because I don't understand it! And because it doesn't help me with the completition code, too (perhaps I have not put the right settings...). If code:blocks can help me, it's welcome.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2009 12:43PM by prampa.
December 04, 2009 01:31PM
Well I have code blocks and it should be fairly easy to set up on windows. (I have a mac) Any way there is a guide on wiibrew Here. It is on an older version but it should still work.
December 04, 2009 06:39PM
prampa,

You really should take the time to learn codeblocks it's very powerful and in my opinion the best free IDE.

You can set most of the stuff in Settings > Compiler and debugger settings. You can create a profile for Wii development and set the tool chain. Every time you create a new project it's as simple as selecting from the drop down in the wizard to build a project for Wii. I have codeblocks set up for Linux x86, Wii and an Arm based processor I'm using at work.

The debugger front-end is very powerful and easy to use. I was a big fan of Visual Studio for years but now I use codeblocks for all my development, yes I think it's that good!
December 05, 2009 01:31AM
I read the link to configure code:blocks posted in a previously topic by topgun96. I tried to set some variables in the compiler and linking section, too.
Tomorrow, I'm going to do some test to verify the completition code and the list of the members of a class (with ctrl+space).
Good night
December 05, 2009 04:15PM
It's all right. I have set the right values in codeblocks and now it works fine! Autocompletition code, list of the members of all classes and of the imported libraries. Perfect.
I'm using it on linux now.
A last question. Have I type "make" from command line in a terminal session to build the project? Can I associate an existing makefile to the project? So I can create the .dol just from codeblocks. But this is not a problem.
Thank for the cooperation!!!!
December 05, 2009 06:09PM
I too am trying to set up code blocks. There is no "GCC compiler for PPC" only "GCC Compiler". Me, having no coding skills, just copied the one that was there and named it "Wii Compiler" Now I can not find the "use EABI" or "use hardware floating point". Any help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 06:09PM by TopGun96.
December 05, 2009 10:10PM
TopGun96
I too am trying to set up code blocks. There is no "GCC compiler for PPC" only "GCC Compiler". Me, having no coding skills, just copied the one that was there and named it "Wii Compiler" Now I can not find the "use EABI" or "use hardware floating point". Any help?

Just sniff around in Settings > Compiler and debugger settings. You can create your own "GCC compiler for PPC" see the Copy button at the top just click it and name the profile "GCC compiler for PPC" (like you did). Then in the Toolchain executables tab set the paths to the devkitpro ones. There's also a Search directories tab where you can put in the paths for your libs and headers.
December 05, 2009 10:13PM
prampa
It's all right. I have set the right values in codeblocks and now it works fine! Autocompletition code, list of the members of all classes and of the imported libraries. Perfect.
I'm using it on linux now.
A last question. Have I type "make" from command line in a terminal session to build the project? Can I associate an existing makefile to the project? So I can create the .dol just from codeblocks. But this is not a problem.
Thank for the cooperation!!!!

That's what build > build does. You can also change the default make file to a custom one under the project properties.
December 05, 2009 10:14PM
If by editor You mean typing text (code) then...gedit or kwrite :)
Nano would be nice idea as well because it will work no matter what :D (it's console editor)
December 06, 2009 11:11AM
I'm building the project within codeblocks using a my custom makefile, now. But I have a new question.
Current makefile works fine from the command line. When I invoke the same makefile within codeblocks, I get some errors.
In my homebrew I'm using custom font in "ttf" format. Within codeblocks I'm getting the error "font_ttf.h: No such file or directory". The font is within of the directory "data", at the same level of the directory "source".
Have I set up the right path? Where?
Thank
Re: [RESOLVED] editor homebrew
December 10, 2009 09:03PM
OK. I set the suject of the present topic to RESOLVED because I'm so satisfied of the tips which I got.
IMHO, a make command in a terminal session is the better way to build a homebrew.
Thank for the cooperation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login