Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Flash Channel

Posted by Marathon_003 
Wii Flash Channel
December 18, 2008 10:37AM
Is there any way a Wii flash channel could be implemented? What I'm asking is if there's a way saved .swf files could be launched offline on the wii. Maybe a flash game browser and/or movie player. The wii is already capable of playing saved flash files on an sd card without modding at all. It shouldn't be difficult to develop an homebrew app that could play saved flash games using the wiimote as the mouse cursor and mapping typical keyboard controls (a,s,d,w,z,space,etc.) to wiimote and nunchuck buttons. Any body have any ideas on how to go about implementing something like this?
Re: Wii Flash Channel
December 18, 2008 10:47AM
At one point I'd seen something somewhat similar for the pc that had a browser similar to wii channels that you could save an image to, add a caption, and link a file to it. flashden.net has something......similar to what I'm talking about. Here's a picture:
December 18, 2008 08:07PM
Marathon_003
The wii is already capable of playing saved flash files on an sd card without modding at all.

Can you tell me more about that?
December 19, 2008 12:01AM
There is no point in making this a channel; one can just make a homebrew app of it.
Also, I think it would be feasable. What it would do is it would browse the SD card, and when you make a selection, it would boot the Internet Channel with a hook-and-code that would tell the internet channel to load the .swf off of the SD card. Of course, I don't know much about hooks, so I don't know if this would be possible or not. It's just a sugguestion for anyone who wants to make this.
December 19, 2008 01:21PM
The photo channel, at least before it's update, could play .swf files from the root of the sd card.
December 19, 2008 01:40PM
I'm curious as to whether or not a stand alone flash player that is completely independent of the internet or a browser is possible. (And, if it can be implemented through homebrew, it can be made into a channel as long as it's run from the sd card. Thats not the issue, I just said channel because when coming up with this idea i wished Nintendo had come up with a channel like this, but i'll take homebrew anyday..:p )
December 19, 2008 02:17PM
strongfan
it would boot the Internet Channel with a hook-and-code that would tell the internet channel to load the .swf off of the SD card.
This also answers Marathon_003's question. Yes there is a standalone player, forcing the Internet Channel is unnecessary, and limits you to people who have that channel..

strongfan
Of course, I don't know much about hooks, so I don't know if this would be possible or not.
There have been several detailed explainations on how hooks work on this forum. Technically, yes it is possible (well, should be, but it depends how much memory the Internet Channel takes, and if there's enough spare for your Flash player), but the amount of work required to do that is massive, and your time would be served better coding a port of the standalone flash player.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2008 02:29PM by whodares.
December 19, 2008 04:38PM
Marathon_003
The photo channel, at least before it's update, could play .swf files from the root of the sd card.

Realy?

I did never hear about that.
(It's kinda cool and unexpected, if you ask me)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login